Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #1

Auto-Takumar 35mm F2.3 Hood

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bought this lens and I'm in love with it. Does anyone have a picture of the hood? I want to buy one to protect that massive front element, but they don't come up very often. I was thinking of having one fabricated. Some good pictures would be a big help if you have any.

10-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just sold one and yes they are rare
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-02-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it's for protection you could use a generic metal hood. Plenty on ebay:

62mm Lens Hood Screw Mount Metal for DSLR SLR Camera 62mm Filter Size | eBay
62mm Vented Curved Metal lens Hood For Leica Canon Nikon Sony Panasonic Olympus | eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Screw-in-Mount-62mm-Metal-Wide-Angle-Lens-Hood-for-C...YAAOSwT5tWJhLv

Last edited by D1N0; 10-02-2017 at 01:01 AM.
10-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I just sold one and yes they are rare
Forgive the ignorance but why are there two parts?

10-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Forgive the ignorance but why are there two parts?
Step-up ring and the hood, a filter goes between the two parts. Pentax used this design on a couple zooms that I have. (K45-125 & M35-70)

Phil.
10-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
If it's for protection you could use a generic metal hood. Plenty on ebay:
Unfortunately all the aftermarket hoods I've tried (both spun metal and plastic flower type) cause pronounced vignetting. Should have mentioned that I've been down that road. Another way to ask this, has anyone identified an aftermarket lens hood that doesn't cause this issue?

So on the OEM version, there's a step-up ring that screws into the lens, and then a bayonet fitting hood that slips over the outside of the step-up ring?
10-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

A hood doesn't cause vignetting because it is after market, but because it is too narrow. On what camera are you using the lens anyway?

10-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
A hood doesn't cause vignetting because it is after market, but because it is too narrow. On what camera are you using the lens anyway?
As I look at it again, it looks like the hood bayonet-mounts on the lens, rather than screw mounting? Which is weird, but then it's a weird lens.

Sony A7. Even without a hood, the corners are slightly darker in small apertures, which I can correct for. But with a hood I get black occluded corners, from the inside corner not the outer flange if that makes sense.

I'd like to use it as a daily driver but I'm scared of scratching that giant front element
10-04-2017, 02:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Looks like it clamps on to the step up ring using the screw to tighten. I don't see how the step up ring mounts on the lens. Must be like a lens cap. The lens itself does have a 62mm filter thread. Alternatively you could get a set of step up rings from ebay and step up from 62 to 67 to 72 to 77 etc until it starts to vignette. (Although this guy says it is 67mm https://translate.google.com/translate?ie=UTF-8&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Faremo-k...25E3%2582%25BA translated from Japanese )
He also shows a uv filter which also seems to have a screw tightening mechanism but also a filter thread.

Last edited by D1N0; 10-04-2017 at 02:23 AM.
10-04-2017, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
I ordered a 62mm to 67mm step-up ring, thinking that might allow me to use both a 67mm UV filter and a hood for protection. Will update on how that works when it arrives.
03-10-2018, 12:24 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bump.

If anyone is still interested, I've found a replacement hood which fits the 35 f/2.3 and vignettes only minimally on full frame. It was made for the Tokina AT-X 28-85mm f3.5-4.5.

The Tokina lens has the same 62mm filter thread as the Takumar 35, but as with the Takumar's original hood, the Tokina hood clamps onto the lens rather than screwing into the filter threads.

I found my hood on eb*y (U.S.) last week and at that time there were two other hoods available.

After finding that several different wide angle, screw in hoods vignetted on my f/2.3, I finally understood why the original hood is a clamp on rather than a screw in. No matter how wide the screw in hoods are, it's the threaded bases which vignette. That's why even a 62-67mm step up ring and wide hood vignetted on my lens. And, as catdotgif mentioned, the Tak has vignetting of its own - even without a hood. But the screw in options I've tried make it noticeably worse.

And the standard thickness screw in filters I've used vignette a lot, too. As seen in Wild Mark's photos above, Pentax devised some sort of step ring to deal with that...
My Tokina hood has inner ridges, but it isn't threaded to accept filters.
03-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great solution! The original hood is so rare. Rarer than the lens itself.

I have the tokina hood and will give it a whirl.
03-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Bump.

If anyone is still interested, I've found a replacement hood which fits the 35 f/2.3 and vignettes only minimally on full frame. It was made for the Tokina AT-X 28-85mm f3.5-4.5.

The Tokina lens has the same 62mm filter thread as the Takumar 35, but as with the Takumar's original hood, the Tokina hood clamps onto the lens rather than screwing into the filter threads.

I found my hood on eb*y (U.S.) last week and at that time there were two other hoods available.

After finding that several different wide angle, screw in hoods vignetted on my f/2.3, I finally understood why the original hood is a clamp on rather than a screw in. No matter how wide the screw in hoods are, it's the threaded bases which vignette. That's why even a 62-67mm step up ring and wide hood vignetted on my lens. And, as catdotgif mentioned, the Tak has vignetting of its own - even without a hood. But the screw in options I've tried make it noticeably worse.

And the standard thickness screw in filters I've used vignette a lot, too. As seen in Wild Mark's photos above, Pentax devised some sort of step ring to deal with that...
My Tokina hood has inner ridges, but it isn't threaded to accept filters.
Thank you so very much ! I have tried for years to find a good solution and here it is !
03-10-2018, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Great solution! The original hood is so rare. Rarer than the lens itself.

I have the tokina hood and will give it a whirl.
Mark, I'd be happy to have some confirmation about the Tokina hood. Will you please let us know if it works for you, too?

QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
Thank you so very much ! I have tried for years to find a good solution and here it is !
You're welcome, HelenJo. It's great fun to be able to help out the Pentax Forums community!

Tim
03-11-2018, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

The first shot is with the atx hood

The second with the genuine hood.

Camera on a tripod and un moved between shots. Lens aperture wide open.

The genuine hood is deeper and as such has performed better. There is 50% or greater reduction in highlight blowout in the soap bubble bokeh
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo