Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #1

smc p-k 30mm f/2.8

i asked this question in the current 30-40mm lens poll, but nobody responded yet, and i really felt like trying to get more attention for it

i only just discovered that this lens existed

Pentax Lens Review Database - 30mm F2.8

seems to be well-regarded here and the few other places i could find mention of it on the 'net. not much opinion because of its rarity.

it's a little pricey currently - there's one on eekbay for 375+ (hopefully it won't skyrocket in price now that i've brought it up).

as pentax is aware (they have a 30 on the roadmap) this is almost the perfect "normal" fl for aps-c - personal preference aside. based on the k10d's sensor (23.5 x 15.7 mm) since that's what i have, the right normal fl would be 28.26mm.

so it's a little long BUT,
since i realized it existed, i've been thinking that the new da* might be a reissue of this old smcp-k? it somewhat matches with the recent limited series - slightly slower than super-fast aperture. and it's well-regarded enough that the optics might justify the * designation along with sdm and weather-sealing. if used manual focus k-mount versions go for near $400 how much would the da*30 reissue be? or maybe i'm crazy.

p.s. anybody who did not review this lens in the database have any experience with it?

08-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The K-30 2.8 lens is a sharp performer with a nice color saturation, a terrific lens, and in the group of top Pentax MF lenses, and a decent MF alternative to the FA31, although I still prefer the FA31 most of the time, as it is very sharp and good AF. If I were to go out and knowing ahead of time I would be needed to MF, I'd take the K30 instead.

Look at the K-club thread as I believe there are some posts in there with the K30.

Mine is in another city right now, else I'd post a comparison of the K30 vs. the FA31. Perhaps I'll do that next month when I am back in San Diego.

Optically it appears to have the same design as the M28 3.5 (only showing up in as a 30 and a 2.8, then later in the smaller M-mount as a 28 and a 3.5) This lens is sharp at 2.8 though, renders skin tones nicely, and shows good detail at infinity in landscapes. Also has a nice control of highlights. I've used this lens on a K20D (aside from an film MX) and is one of my favorites. Don't know why but I think this is a much better lens than the M28 3.5

Watch for flare when shooting against a bright or a lower Sun, as this lens pre-dates digital sensors, there can be some reflections between the rear element and the sensor. There is some CA, but actually on-par with the FA31. If anyone were to ask me about any FA31 cheaper alternatives and MF was ok, I'd suggest this lens.
08-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I can only repeat my own post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/317314-post34.html
Short version:
The K 30/2.8 is a stunning performer and i have no doubts suggesting this lens as a manual replacement for the FA31.
08-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I missed that post, good job, great to see those photos with the 30!