Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #1

screw on lens hood generic

Hi what lens are affected by these if any. I know some lens are internal focusing, but what if they aren't would it be a problem.I'm inquiring about generic ones with the cap and all. Esp harder to find lens that came without the original lens hood?

thanks,

10-05-2017, 02:24 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IF or not shouldn't matter in this case.

Just about any lens (with threads) can be used with a generic hood, so if price is an issue, there's no reason not to get one as long as the quoted focal length is less than or equal to that of the lens.

Of course, the coverage won't be as optimal as what you'd get with a dedicated petal hood, but IMHO it's usually good enough.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-05-2017, 03:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Internal focusing has no effect on lens hood.
Lens hood should be as tight as possible, but not so tight it causes vignetting (darker edges). You just gently screw it into place, and it works fine. I recommend to stay away from shiny metal hoods or vented hoods (those are for rangefinders)

For some Pentax lenses you can get a clone of the official hood. I think JinFinance and JJC sell these. It might not be 100% same quality as original, but it is pretty good
10-05-2017, 03:37 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my problem is that I have a Pentax hood for the D FA * 70 - 200 mm F2.8 with the removable section missing

I cannot find a source for that removable section nor can I find a source for that particular hood

can anyone help with suggestions

BTW I have considered black duct tape

10-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
my problem is that I have a Pentax hood for the D FA * 70 - 200 mm F2.8 with the removable section missing

I cannot find a source for that removable section nor can I find a source for that particular hood

can anyone help with suggestions

BTW I have considered black duct tape
Since that removable part is designed to be facing down but the hood can be rotated into several positions, can't you place it away from the source of light so that it won't matter?
10-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Since that removable part is designed to be facing down but the hood can be rotated into several positions, can't you place it away from the source of light so that it won't matter?
that is what I do but then I thought about light being reflected up from surfaces below

with the original design all light is blocked, without the piece, there is a possibility of some light being reflected up

so far no problem but just thinking ahead.
10-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're interested in function over fashion simply go to one of the sites that offer hood patterns and try a few paper patterns until you find one you're satisfied with.

Then purchase one or more inexpensive generic plastic hoods and duplicate the pattern with a file, Dremel tool sanding accessory or...?

No hood is perfect -- every hood is helpful to some extent -- cosmetic appearance affects neither one.

Digital lens hoods

lens hood pattern - Google SearchImages for lens hood pattern

-----------

OBTW, for those that've never used a range-finder camera, those neat lookin' vents in the hood are to provide a field of view for the RF window, not for 'fashion'.

Attached Images

10-05-2017, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would just get some black gaffer tape (it comes in various widths) and cover the hole. Peel it back when you need access. BTW, gaffer tape is much nicer than duct tape; the adhesive doesn't leave a residue.
10-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
I would just get some black gaffer tape (it comes in various widths) and cover the hole. Peel it back when you need access. BTW, gaffer tape is much nicer than duct tape; the adhesive doesn't leave a residue.
gaffer tape??

I will check that out thanks
10-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

gaffer tape??
Ask any local musician or band ! Holds everything together on stage.
10-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Ask any local musician or band ! Holds everything together on stage.
used by the guys/gals credited as Gaffers in the movie credits no doubt

I will check it out

thanks
10-06-2017, 06:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

All lenses benefit from a hood. I used the collapsible rubber ones way back in the film days and I still have a couple. Most lenses come with a hood these days but I have had good results from the screw in Sensei petal type hoods which I bought for some old film era lenses that were hoodless.
10-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
thanks alot, I thought it would affect the focusing or something but I guess not. What if the lens isn't internal focussing will it affect it then? If not all's well thanks everyone. Maybe I was thinking about filters and got them mixed up. So hoods are clear but some filters aren't okay on some lens?
10-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

gaffer tape??
AKA "duct tape"!
(and it can leave a sticky residue if left for a long time)
10-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
I did this with the hood for my 18-135 after I lost the window piece. Works well enough but disables the window which I never used anyway.