Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

New DFA 15-30: soft edge?

Hi all,

I just got a DFA 15-30 to go with my K1. The lens is a joy to shoot, and I love both the perspective and the build quality. However, in the first test shots I noticed that the left edge seems pretty soft.

Attached you can find one of these pictures, a 100% crop of the left edge, and a 100% crop of the center for comparison.

This is at 15mm, f/11, 4s, ISO 100, on a tripod (self-timer, SR off).

Is this within the expectations for such a wide angle? At f/11 and this distance this should not be a focus or decentering issue. And since the rest of the image is sharp, I don't think this is wind or any other type of shake. The right edge does not have any distinctive sharp lines that allow for an easy assessment.

I will have time for more tests on the weekend. In the meantime, I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Johann

Attached Images

10-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
that looks problematic. send it back?
10-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah. Not good enough IMHO. Send it back.
10-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Definitely looks like a decentering issue. Like the others said return it in exchange for a new one.
If you want to do some more testing there is an article about testing a lens for decentering: How to Check Your Lens for Decentering - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

10-05-2017, 12:35 AM - 3 Likes   #5

I suspect motion blur, especially vertical, from looking at the trails from moving cars?
Try with a very short shutter speed in daytime as well and have a look?
10-05-2017, 01:02 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lipton Quote
I suspect motion blur, especially vertical, from looking at the trails from moving cars?
Well spotted! The light trails are jiggly when they should be straight. That does suggest some vertical movement, which would be more pronounced at the edges if the tripod wasn't absolutely solid.

More testing would be worthwhile.
10-05-2017, 02:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Well spotted! The light trails are jiggly when they should be straight. That does suggest some vertical movement, which would be more pronounced at the edges if the tripod wasn't absolutely solid.

More testing would be worthwhile.
From the position of the lighttrails I would rather suspect they are from a boat rather than cars. If it was vertical motion of the camera then all lights would be vertical lines instead of dots. The bluriness gets worse towards the edge and is actually more of a horizontal blur rather than a vertical. This looks exactly like the kind of blur I had on one side of two decentered Irix 15mm Lenses I had. So I would still think it's decentering but just as you said more testing should be done.

10-05-2017, 04:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The same jiggliness is seen in a light trail in the sky high above the buildings. That one at least is very unlikely to be from something on the water....
10-05-2017, 05:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi,

thank you all for the help! The jiggly lines are well-spotted, that's definitely motion blur.

Here are crops of another picture taken at 1/500s and f/5.6. I'm afraid the edge is still soft...

Cheers,
Johann
Attached Images

10-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johann_brehmer Quote
Hi,

thank you all for the help! The jiggly lines are well-spotted, that's definitely motion blur.

Here are crops of another picture taken at 1/500s and f/5.6. I'm afraid the edge is still soft...

Cheers,
Johann
There’s not just blur but also some severe color fringing. You should get a new lens.
10-05-2017, 06:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
There’s not just blur but also some severe color fringing. You should get a new lens.
That kind of colour fringing is often a sign the lens elements are not properly aligned. I'd exchange it as well.
10-05-2017, 06:08 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
Joann

Left corner doesn't look well still. Colour fringing exists there. But I would recommend to do additional test in more controllable environment ( a bit shorter distance to eliminate any atmosphere conditions)
10-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My copy was behaving like this. I sent it off and it came back (after a trip to Japan) much improved. Still not perfect, but acceptable.

Before:

This first one has been smashed with the PP bat to minimise the CA and contrast loss in the top right quadrant

Probably the most dramatic example

and after: