Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Paper Archives what lens should I take

Hello dear fellow Pentaxians,

I will soon have the opportunity to go in a place to take pictures from old paper documents (Archives).

I will shoot with my K-3 + tripod + remote trigger. No flash are allowed.

Could you please advise on what best lens should do the job?

I presume that I would only use primes. I can choose between those:

- DA 35 2.8 Ltd,
- M 50 1.4 or A 50 1.7,
- FA* 85,

I also have Macro rings (Pentax Auto extension Tube Set).

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards.

J.

10-08-2017, 02:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 35 being a macro is probably best. Stop down to f5.6 for optimal results, but 50 would also be OK as those have less distortion than 35's in general despite not being macro's Also shoot at 5.6. 85 seems a bit long to be practical/
10-08-2017, 02:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A short macro. The DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited macro would be ideal.
10-08-2017, 03:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No brainer. The DA 35 macro limited is perfect for this.

10-08-2017, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The 35 is probably the best choice except: 1) if the lighting interacts with subject matter (shiny stock, framed glass, etc.) such that a longer focal length lens might be useful for avoiding reflections; 2) if the tripod at minimum extension is too far away from the object to get the magnification you want or the legs of the tripod can't spread far enough apart to do what you need to do.

You might ask the archives if they have a copy stand. That can make this kind of work much easier than using a tripod. (But bring your tripod in case the stand does not work out.)

Finally, practice, practice, practice. Try taking pictures of paper objects at home to get a feel for the working distances, best apertures, and how you'll configure the tripod to see the items (of a similar size to the archive objects). Test all your lenses for field curvature (i.e., if the center is in focus, then the corners are not and if the corners are in focus, then the center is not) to help decide which to use and what apertures you'll need.

Good luck!

P.S. Bring everything to the shoot -- it's better to have an unused lens in the bag than an untaken picture.
10-08-2017, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
Hello dear fellow Pentaxians,

I will soon have the opportunity to go in a place to take pictures from old paper documents (Archives).

I will shoot with my K-3 + tripod + remote trigger. No flash are allowed.

Could you please advise on what best lens should do the job?

I presume that I would only use primes. I can choose between those:

- DA 35 2.8 Ltd,
- M 50 1.4 or A 50 1.7,
- FA* 85,

I also have Macro rings (Pentax Auto extension Tube Set).

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards.

J.
Take them all. It’s not like you have a lot of glass. Your best lenses will be the 35mm and the A50/1.7
10-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just go with the DA 35 Ltd, don't bother with the rest of your stuff.

I've done this kind of work hand-held,
being in places where tripods are not allowed.

You may need to do some PP afterwards,
typically levels adjustments to make everything black or white,
especially if the paper is yellowed and the writing/print is faded.

10-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Take them all. It’s not like you have a lot of glass. Your best lenses will be the 35mm and the A50/1.7
^^^^^This^^^^^
You do not say what the size of the paper is or what distance you can achieve so the 35mm might be the best focal length or it might be the 50mm. I have done document duplication with the A 50mm f/1.7 and found the results quite acceptable. I have not used the DA 35mm Limited for that but it should also work very well assuming you can make the focal length work.
If you know the dimensions of the paper, mock up some at home and test out your process. You will then know which lens is better and you will also look much more professional once you are on site.
10-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Bring a polarizer too to cut down on reflections if you are shooting documents behind glass or documents on glossy paper stock.
10-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This is an easy one take the 35mm Limited Macro!
10-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

with your existing collection of lenses I too would chose the designated macro lens

practice with it and the 50 mm lens with the additional macro accessories to see what does best.

the macro will have a very close focal point for 1:1 reproduction if that is what you are looking for.

will you be able to get that close

could you use your lens without going " macro " and crop to get what you want?

practicing might give you the answers
10-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The 35 being a macro is probably best. Stop down to f5.6 for optimal results, but 50 would also be OK as those have less distortion than 35's in general despite not being macro's Also shoot at 5.6. 85 seems a bit long to be practical/
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
A short macro. The DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited macro would be ideal.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No brainer. The DA 35 macro limited is perfect for this.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
This is an easy one take the 35mm Limited Macro!
Thanks, I was hesitating between the two of them so I will take both.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The 35 is probably the best choice except: 1) if the lighting interacts with subject matter (shiny stock, framed glass, etc.) such that a longer focal length lens might be useful for avoiding reflections; 2) if the tripod at minimum extension is too far away from the object to get the magnification you want or the legs of the tripod can't spread far enough apart to do what you need to do.

You might ask the archives if they have a copy stand. That can make this kind of work much easier than using a tripod. (But bring your tripod in case the stand does not work out.)

Finally, practice, practice, practice. Try taking pictures of paper objects at home to get a feel for the working distances, best apertures, and how you'll configure the tripod to see the items (of a similar size to the archive objects). Test all your lenses for field curvature (i.e., if the center is in focus, then the corners are not and if the corners are in focus, then the center is not) to help decide which to use and what apertures you'll need.

Good luck!

P.S. Bring everything to the shoot -- it's better to have an unused lens in the bag than an untaken picture.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
^^^^^This^^^^^
You do not say what the size of the paper is or what distance you can achieve so the 35mm might be the best focal length or it might be the 50mm. I have done document duplication with the A 50mm f/1.7 and found the results quite acceptable. I have not used the DA 35mm Limited for that but it should also work very well assuming you can make the focal length work.
If you know the dimensions of the paper, mock up some at home and test out your process. You will then know which lens is better and you will also look much more professional once you are on site.
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
with your existing collection of lenses I too would chose the designated macro lens

practice with it and the 50 mm lens with the additional macro accessories to see what does best.

the macro will have a very close focal point for 1:1 reproduction if that is what you are looking for.

will you be able to get that close

could you use your lens without going " macro " and crop to get what you want?

practicing might give you the answers
Thanks, very good advices, I hope I will have time to practice till then and they will probably have a stand but not sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Just go with the DA 35 Ltd, don't bother with the rest of your stuff.

I've done this kind of work hand-held,
being in places where tripods are not allowed.

You may need to do some PP afterwards,
typically levels adjustments to make everything black or white,
especially if the paper is yellowed and the writing/print is faded.
Thanks, also very good advices, I don't know how well the documents are.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Bring a polarizer too to cut down on reflections if you are shooting documents behind glass or documents on glossy paper stock.
Thanks, good Idea, I have only one for my SMC A50 1.7

Last edited by Jome; 10-08-2017 at 10:28 AM.
10-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank You All

Thanks again for your precious advices.

I will take the 35 and the A50 with the polariser, test the 50 with one or two macro rings and the tripod.
Perhaps they will let me use a stand.

Kind regards to all.

J.
10-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #14

What size documents are you going to be photographing? Framing may be an issue because of the crop sensor. Macro tubes limit your magnification and framing choices. I would certainly bring all the lenses and tubes. Gives you more options.
10-08-2017, 11:39 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What size documents are you going to be photographing? Framing may be an issue because of the crop sensor. Macro tubes limit your magnification and framing choices. I would certainly bring all the lenses and tubes. Gives you more options.
Thanks, it will probably be in A4 or letter format.I will do some tests tonight.
Kind Regards.
J.