Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 12:00 AM   #1

HD lens coating -- bad name?

Who else thinks Pentax should have called their new lens coating "sdmc" instead of "HD"?

10-09-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Who else thinks Pentax should have called their new lens coating "sdmc" instead of "HD"?
HD sounds way better IMO- plus it makes it clear that it's the new and improved coating. Everyone knows that acronym these days

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

ED, LD, AL, IF, RF, APO, ASL, MC, SMC, DX, FX, EX, DA, DA L, FA, OS, HSM, SDM, DC, SP, VC, WR, AW ... lens makers have always been apt to use a lot of abbreviations on their lenses and add new ones. I think it was a mistake to drop SMC - they could just have added HD to SMC: "HD SMC Pentax ...". For me "smc" and "Pentax" have always belonged together.
10-09-2017, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
HD is short and explanatory. Yay.

10-09-2017, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

They should have called it FRED coating. Everybody likes FRED. I can even think of a meaning. Freakin' Real Extreme Definition coating.
10-09-2017, 01:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, if I were Pentax, I wouldn't call it anything. Once an improved coating was developed, I would drop the old inferior one and routinely apply the new one. It would just be 'the coating we use'.
10-09-2017, 02:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

T* more cool.

10-09-2017, 03:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

"Standard Definition Multi Coating"?
10-09-2017, 03:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
T* more cool.

But more annoying when you have to do research with search engines as "*" is seen as a wildcard.

Which is why I suppose the *ist camera name was widely held to be one of the bigger naming bloopers in camera history.
10-09-2017, 03:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
HD sounds way better IMO- plus it makes it clear that it's the new and improved coating. Everyone knows that acronym these days
But much less amusing.

---------- Post added 10-09-17 at 05:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
"Standard Definition Multi Coating"?
I still like "super-duper multi-coating" better.

Last edited by fredralphfred; 10-09-2017 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Forgot Mrs. Dash. And apparently I can't spell smileys.
10-09-2017, 03:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

silly definition mouldy coating
10-09-2017, 03:43 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They should have called it FRED coating. Everybody likes FRED. I can even think of a meaning. Freakin' Real Extreme Definition coating.
I could actually go for that. Naming things after Fred amuses me, like this: Fred Paris. They actually take that seriously. I'm not sure if they realize how funny that sounds.

---------- Post added 10-09-17 at 05:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
silly definition mouldy coating
Well, it does seem that some old lenses suffer from that. Especially if they've spent time near the equator.

---------- Post added 10-09-17 at 05:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
But more annoying when you have to do research with search engines as "*" is seen as a wildcard.

Which is why I suppose the *ist camera name was widely held to be one of the bigger naming bloopers in camera history.
I always thought that name was just plain strange. But when I think about naming premium lenses with *, it makes a certain sort of sense.
10-09-2017, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

When HD was announced we did have some discussion about it. A lot of people didn't like it. SMC had tradition, was well known, and it was unique to Pentax. HD is just a gimmick you see on every camera, phone, monitor, television, anything. To me it felt like Pentax gave up something that was recognizable and valued for something that is a gimmick of modern times and can be found on way too many products, something that lost its meaning long ago when those "HD" television sets started coming out
But its been a while and we got used to it.. though, I agree, that a better term would make more sense. Even SMC2 sounds better than HD in my ears
I always thought that name was just plain strange. But when I think about naming premium lenses with *, it makes a certain sort of sense.
I've seen the * symbol in a couple Asian products that get marketed in Europe. I think the Asians might not know that the * is not really a letter and we don't really use it, except for very special cases like in search engines. To them its a cool sign in our alphabet, so they like to toss it in there. Lost in translation
10-09-2017, 04:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Even SMC2 sounds better than HD in my ears
I agree, SMC II would have meant they had considered the original coatings with a critical eye and improved on the faults that were there. HD just sounds like they just wanted to ride the hype train and add another double lettered acronym to the name...I mean what is next 4K coatings? sweet jesus, even Fuji has enough trouble cramming 14 layers on each lens surface. Is it a lens or a bonded asperic? with 4K coatings on it, nobody can tell!
10-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Don't forget that they also have Aero Bright and SP coatings.
So maybe it's time to add them all together in an SPABHD coating, or Super Protect Aero Bright High Density coating.