Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 05:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But guys, Pentax is not the worst. Remember that one brand that advertised neutrino lens coatings? That is some next level marketing

10-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Remember that one brand that advertised neutrino lens coatings? That is some next level marketing
Don't you mean next level physics? neutrinos are tricky to detect in the first place...as long as they don't try to use strangelet coatings.
10-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I have to agree. 'HD' is so overused these days, it's become completely meaningless, sort of like '2000' was in the '80s and '90s. It's not exactly distinctive among all the other 'HD' products out there; in fact, I'd go so far as to say it borders on the generic, something you'd see on a cheap, third-party accessory.
10-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I have to agree. 'HD' is so overused these days, it's become completely meaningless, sort of like '2000' was in the '80s and '90s. It's not exactly distinctive among all the other 'HD' products out there; in fact, I'd go so far as to say it borders on the generic, something you'd see on a cheap, third-party accessory.
This is true, I have a Vivitar with "HD" coating

10-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

HD is not searchable so it is not a good choice in terms of marketing/branding.
*istD was another one, not searchable.
10-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #21
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
When HD was announced we did have some discussion about it. A lot of people didn't like it. SMC had tradition, was well known, and it was unique to Pentax. HD is just a gimmick you see on every camera, phone, monitor, television, anything. To me it felt like Pentax gave up something that was recognizable and valued for something that is a gimmick of modern times and can be found on way too many products, something that lost its meaning long ago when those "HD" television sets started coming out
But its been a while and we got used to it.. though, I agree, that a better term would make more sense. Even SMC2 sounds better than HD in my ears
This sums it up perfectly.
10-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Who else thinks Pentax should have called their new lens coating "sdmc" instead of "HD"?

No particularly strong feelings about this. The new coating is a real improvement: from what I've seen in sample images, it does a great job at reducing flare, retains beautiful colours, and seems to be pretty durable.

That said, the HD moniker is perhaps not the greatest feat of ingenuity that the Pentax marketeers have come up with recently. To begin with, it is indeed a bit of a cliché by now, but more importantly, I'm missing some indication that it refers to, well, a lens coating. "HDC" (i.e. 'High Definition Coating') is maybe not all that brilliant either, but at least it would have been clearer.

Not so happy with the "sdmc" suggestion, as it reminds me of SDM, which somehow doesn't elicit the best associations with me ...

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-09-2017 at 12:49 PM.
10-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Adam. HD is recognized now, indifferent though it may be, for marketing purposes. SMC is still a ‘brand’, at least, if not under some form of limited patent, and is still used on many Pentax products (CCTV lenses, for instance) and interior lens surfaces.

My bet is Corporate legal counsel nixed use of SMC and anything suggestive of SMC for arcane reasons that may even be limited to Japan.
10-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I agree with Adam. HD is recognized now, indifferent though it may be, for marketing purposes. SMC is still a ‘brand’, at least, if not under some form of limited patent, and is still used on many Pentax products (CCTV lenses, for instance) and interior lens surfaces.

My bet is Corporate legal counsel nixed use of SMC and anything suggestive of SMC for arcane reasons that may even be limited to Japan.
That's an interesting take on it I hadn't considered.
10-09-2017, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I was thinking XMC (extreme multi coating) would be good and still be easily identified as Pentax.
10-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I was thinking XMC (extreme multi coating) would be good and still be easily identified as Pentax.
Plus it works with Pentax being a tough, weather-sealed, cold-capable system.
10-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I have always been a fan of SMC lenses and filters. Decades of precision and tradtion in one acronym.

HD on the other hand just reminds me of television sets and computer monitors. Meh.

Me thinks Pentax should have gone with SMC2 or SMC+ but what do I know? XMC also works for me.
10-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Me thinks Pentax should have gone with SMC2 or SMC+ but what do I know? XMC also works for me.
Actually, all of those would make sense, and look good on a lens.
Especially when considering that HD usually refers to 720p, and still images from Pentax cameras have much much higher resolution than that. And considering Pentax' video is not exactly stellar. So yea, total miss with the HD