Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Are you saying that some Canonites are willing to grind the mirror off of their $2000+ 5Ds so that they can use Pentax lenses on them? If that's the case, then that is FUNNY!

Why don't they just lay their Canon pride down and sell their 5Ds? Depending on what they can get for a used one, they can pick up a K20 and a lens or 2. We'll protect them from the Canon Mafia that may come around to take them out because they left the dark side.

Heather
I know a Canon shooter who has done some major mods to a few Pentax lenses so that he can use them on his Canon. It does involve hack saws and the like so it is not for the timid. His first mod was to an A15mm f/3.5.
He likes the performance of the Canon body (he uses an EOS1D or some such), but doesn't like the performance of Canon wide angle lenses.
Unfortunately, a K20 is nowhere near in the same performance league as the top end Canons.

08-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I know a Canon shooter who has done some major mods to a few Pentax lenses so that he can use them on his Canon. It does involve hack saws and the like so it is not for the timid. His first mod was to an A15mm f/3.5.
He likes the performance of the Canon body (he uses an EOS1D or some such), but doesn't like the performance of Canon wide angle lenses.
Unfortunately, a K20 is nowhere near in the same performance league as the top end Canons.
steven lin took some nice photos with his FA Limiteds and 5D here, looks good
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29917-pentax-f...-canon-5d.html
08-27-2008, 02:24 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When you say performance, do you mean resolution or speed?

Ben
08-27-2008, 06:31 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
When you say performance, do you mean resolution or speed?

Ben
Check the specifications on the Canon 1D class cameras. That should give you an answer.Remember too that the K series cameras are pretty new kids, and up until a year and 2/3 or so ago, 6mp was the best Pentax had.

08-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #35

Original Poster
Are you saying that some Canonites are willing to grind the mirror off of their $2000+ 5Ds so that they can use Pentax lenses on them? If that's the case, then that is FUNNY!

Why don't they just lay their Canon pride down and sell their 5Ds? Depending on what they can get for a used one, they can pick up a K20 and a lens or 2. We'll protect them from the Canon Mafia that may come around to take them out because they left the dark side.

Heather

Yes I am saying that ---- there are some folks who will grind down the bottom of the 5D mirror so that the mirror will not hit the back of the non-Canon lens. I myself would never consider that --- if you want to shoot with lenses that are not Canon EOS mount --- then just get a body to fit those other lenses, like I did. I got a new K10d and some mighty fine pentax glass.

my Dremel tool remains locked up --- not for photographic camera modifications

Kman
08-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
But we do get that sort of stupid questions anyway, don't we? Threads like: "I just put a 2x converter on my 80-300 lens to try to take some bird pictures on my backyard, but I can't seem to get any sharp pictures, why on earth is this, should I buy a canikony instead?"
I think we should cut newbies some slack. I likely asked some pretty dumb questions in my time and maybe so did you. All the marketing tells folk they can take great pictures without thinking, and so many have jumped from p'n's recently that there are a lot of expectations to change.

But that said, here is my favourite photographic idiocy.

Taking photos of films or slide-shows with the flash blazing.

This is dumb for (at least) four reasons. First, do people really want a still of a moving picture? Second, if the flash doesn't reach the screen it is useless. Third, if it does it'll wash out the screen and there will be nothing to shoot. Fourth, is there anything more annoying than people flashing in the dark? Don't they think of the rest of the audience?

OK, I feel better now.
08-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
So maybe K30D could have an adjustable dummy parameter for this that the user could adjust between more accurate/slow and less accurate/faster? Wouldn't that be useful? .

The worlds first AF SLR; the Pentax ME-F had that. You could set the accuracy (ie speed) for the system for an aperture of F:5.6 or F:2.8. This is the range (DOF) where the AF system consider to be accurate focus. Most system use F:5.6. Pentax use F:2.8 - more accurate - slower. Then theres the accuracy of contrast detectors placement (microns), the mirror system, the lens focusing system, the lens-camera comunication etc...Ie. AF system use ballpark figures; no one find the exact focus plane.
08-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Heather
There is not the same room by the mirror in the Eos 5D, compared to 1Ds Mark II. Since Canon do not make that impressive wide angle, many have their 5D sent to a shop to have it done. So the Contax, Pentax, etc. lens that they use on Eos 1Ds, can also be used with their Eos 5D.

It will not help for them to get a K20, as they might be using a 14 mm lens on FF body, for extreme wide angle (but still rectilinear).

If you have an outstanding Contax or Leica lens, etc., you might do what it takes to continue using it.

08-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The worlds first AF SLR; the Pentax ME-F had that. You could set the accuracy (ie speed) for the system for an aperture of F:5.6 or F:2.8. This is the range (DOF) where the AF system consider to be accurate focus. Most system use F:5.6. Pentax use F:2.8 - more accurate - slower. Then theres the accuracy of contrast detectors placement (microns), the mirror system, the lens focusing system, the lens-camera comunication etc...Ie. AF system use ballpark figures; no one find the exact focus plane.
I thought Pentax did the system focus check at f/4.5 ? And that some high-end Canikon models were made to do the focus at f/2.8. But that below that aperture, few were accurate.