Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens cap safety

At first I had UV filters on my lenses (for protection), because, well, I didn't have so many lenses (kit +FA50) and they were cheap (since they were small).

Then I bought a used 16-45, and the cost of a 67mm filter would be a significant fraction of the cost of the lens, which seemed a little dumb. So I just didn't use a filter. Despite the fact that I primarily use my camera on hiking/mountain trips, things seem to be going well, no lens damage etc.

Anyway, then I decided to take the filter off my FA50, especially since it is cheap (or actually, free, came with the lens, Cokin, maybe not so bad?). Then the first thing I did was bounce the lens cap off the front element after it "popped" out of my fingers. It's one of the squeeze type caps. This has actually happened to me a bit on my kit lens too, especially when trying to install/remove the cap with the hood installed.

Is there some sort of special technique required here? Is everyone just really careful? I usually take the camera out of my bag, remove cap, take photos, replace cap, put back in bag. This is repeated a lot. I don't often have time to stop to take a lot of photos in one place.

On another note, it seems impossible for me to put the cap on my 16-45 with the hood on. I guess with the hood maybe I don't need the cap. Doesn't quite fit in my bag with the hood extended though.

Well, this ended up being a huge ramble. Any tips appreciated

08-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The design on the lens cap for the 16-45 is absolutely moronic. I can get it on/off with the hood on the lens, but it's always a hassle. I would recommend picking up one of the 'pinch' style caps like the Nikons have; they are far easier to handle when using a hood.
08-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Then the first thing I did was bounce the lens cap off the front element after it "popped" out of my fingers. It's one of the squeeze type caps. This has actually happened to me a bit on my kit lens too, especially when trying to install/remove the cap with the hood installed.

Is there some sort of special technique required here? Is everyone just really careful? I usually take the camera out of my bag, remove cap, take photos, replace cap, put back in bag. This is repeated a lot. I don't often have time to stop to take a lot of photos in one place
I have run into the same problem with "bouncing the lens cap off the front element." The squeeze type caps make this mistake an easy one to make. You can try this though. Put your left thumb and index finger in the shape of a circle and hold them over the front element, without touching the glass, of course. Now, with your right hand, try to squeeze the cap and place it home. This way, if the cap jumps out of your grip, your index finger and thumb will not allow it to smack the front element. This also helps to more quickly locate the cap. If you are left handed, then reverse the roles of your hands.