Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #1

LBA strikes again.... 400mm's worth

Sometimes I see something on ebay and make a bid even though I really don't need it. I will usually bid low enough so that I will be quickly outbid.

Well that backfired last night. I am now the owner of a 400mm lens. It even comes with a 2x teleconverter so I can snap pics of micro organisms on the moon.

Check it out here.

eBay: 400 mm f5.6 Vivitar Lens for Pentax and Nikon (item 140085652520 end time Feb-19-07 20:34:07 PST)

My wife is already poking fun at me. Plus now I need a real tripod since none of my $20 specials will hold that beast steady.

Last edited by acrbill; 02-20-2007 at 07:04 PM.
02-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice catch! (Haha,way to help a fellow case of LBA eh? :P)

Wow that much be a HEAVY lens! The tripod mount is all the way to the front!
02-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I do believe I've bid against you in other auctions before.

$24 per pound. $7 per inch, lengthwise. And an oh-so-low $0.21 per millimeter focal length. All before shipping & the cost of a gym membership, of course.

Impressive! I am in awe of your flea-Bay prowess.
02-21-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha, that'll teach ya :P I've done that before too, only to be relieved when I'm outbid!

It'll cost you more than your bid now though, for the tripod.

02-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

With a steady hand you can probably pull off decent shots with the 400mm with shutter speeds under 1/100 especially with SR. (not too riduculously low though)

I played around with a bigma at the store and got some somewhat clean shots indoor, no flash. (I had to quickly put the lens back cuz my friend was getting a little too much fun out of the bigma. He doesn't use the underhand technique for holding lenses and I felt my camera wouldn't have a K Mount left if I didn't stop him. )

Yea those $20 specials shouldn't be too bad. just don't expect a good lock. Just use the tripod as a pivot point and then use your hands to hold teh camera+lens. (The 2 second self timer w/ mirror lockup should be no problem)
02-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I had that somewhat backfire on me too. I was the first and only bidder at $10. Now I own a "Sears Special" 135mm/2.8 to replace the Gemini 135/2.8 that was loaned to me.
02-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

A year ago I lobbed a bid at the last minute on a flea-Bay auction for a FA28-70/2.8, it was one of Pentax Canada's demo/salesperson units. My bidding was purely on a whim and I fully expected to be outbid.

To my surprise, dismay, shock and horror I discovered that I won the auction. In hindsight it was a good purchase since the price of this lens has skyrocketed. But at the time I felt a bit foolish.
02-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
A year ago I lobbed a bid at the last minute on a flea-Bay auction for a FA28-70/2.8, it was one of Pentax Canada's demo/salesperson units. My bidding was purely on a whim and I fully expected to be outbid.

To my surprise, dismay, shock and horror I discovered that I won the auction. In hindsight it was a good purchase since the price of this lens has skyrocketed. But at the time I felt a bit foolish.
Do it again and donate the lens to me

02-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
This is far from my worst ebay buy. A few years ago there was this cocktail table video game that I bid on. If you never saw one it is a video game that you and another person sit at to play. You usually see them at bars. Anyhoo, I ended up winning the auction and had to drive 6 hours one way to go pick it up.

Also, just the other day I bid on a 80-200mm no name lens. I ended up winning it for $.99 plus $8 for shipping. When it arrived yesterday the first thing I noticed was that the aperture ring was loose. The next thing I noticed was that unless you had the camera perfectly level the zoom ring would move.

I emailed the guy and told him that he should look his products over better before putting them on ebay. He ended up refunding all of my money which was a nice gesture.
02-21-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

that happened to me too , recently. i won a kiron 28-105 f3.2-4.5. listed as clear glass. the internals had a lot of haze on them and he refunded all , including shipping and told me to do whatever with the lens. it came with a 67mm tiffen filter that's worth something. the lens is still pretty good but i have the repair manual for it and plan and excursion inside it.
105mm

28mm

both taken wide open and at f8
02-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow lucky you! Don't see much effect on the picture. Maybe you could spare dissecting your lens haha.
02-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks to be a nice buy.
As long as you need a 400mm lens it's reasonable.

You just gotta love eBay though. My best buy recently was a Pentax *ist 35mm with the 28-80 kit lens and BG20 battery grip. Total price? $130 UD

Enjoy that lens now. And get yourself a good tripod to boot!
02-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh yea you got one too! Hahah, yea I bought my GX-1L right about when the K series was coming out. So all the *Ist series literally disappeared off the selves and those that were left were too overpriced. (I didn't know about checking Henrys for used stuff at the time). Then I came across this camera store selling a bunch of new Gx-1L kits for $599CAN and I went nuts haha. CBA.

I'm more or less used to the Samsung label now at the front and its funny when photographers, especially those that aren't really gear addicts, see me shooting a Samsung and they get this WTF!? look on their face. haha.