Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Have you ever heard of the Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar? it is a lens with a reputation for being a polarizing element in the Leicaphile* community. It doesn't perform particularly well in MTF testing due to it not having a planar focus field and under-corrected astigmatism - it was designed in 1932, in the age before multi-coatings even existed** and where lens element counts had to be kept to a minimum to control loss of contrast, it is best known as a pictorial lens - not designed to be clinically accurate like the Zeiss Otus lenses.
Just noticed this -- I got your pictorial lens right here!

Leica's New Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2 is the Return of a Classic 1935 Lens

10-17-2017, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
4 elements 3 groups 65 hundred dollars
Ugh and such terrible bokeh.. its like the worst aspects from Helios 44-2, a mirror lens, and those "soft" portraits lenses. The sample photos look so bad, I wouldn't pay $65 for it..

Edit: I'll never understand, though. Some people complain how top notch primes are "too soft" for them. But then someone makes a lens that is beyond soft, calls it special edition, and everyone pays a premium for it.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-17-2017 at 06:26 PM.
10-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, those samples.... Lensbaby does this so much better.
10-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yeah, that is a Leica lens I'm happy to miss out on*. I could just smear vaseline on a filter and put it on my Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 and basically create the same effect.

*Laugh while you can guys,in a decade or so this lens will probably sell to collectors for an obscene price.

10-17-2017, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #125
Pentaxian

Technically, it already sells at an obscene price.
10-18-2017, 12:35 AM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Cyberjunkie, I love the K series lens. I have the 20 f4, 24 f2.8, 35 f3.5 and the 50 f1.2. I am disappointed by the K24mm. It seems more like an "M" series. It was great with Fuji Velvia but I don't care for it much on my K1. It is the weak link in the K series IMHO. I think the M35 f2.8 is one of the best "M" lens. Here's a link to a higher res photo shot with my K35...

Thanks Chuck,
if i'm not mistaken the K 2.8/24mm should have the same optical layout of the A version, which i own, and that is definitely not one of my best Pentax lenses.
So i'm not surprised by your considerations.
I remember i thought it was quite good on film... then it went into hibernation together with other film-era wide angles
The A version at least is very practical (P-TTL flash, 1/3 stop diaphragm granularity, quick operation, all exposure modes are available, etc), but my first feelings on FF have not been so positive, so if i need a 24mm i go for the Sigma EX DG 2.8/24-70mm. I mostly use primes, though i found that in certain cases a fast "normal" zoom that stretches its range down to 24mm can be invaluable.
If i will ever find a K 3.5/24mm for a convenient price i think i will give it a go. It looks reasonably small for a K series, and it doesn't use huge filters.
The other two K wides you own (4/20mm and 3.5/35mm) enjoy very good consideration. I'd be happy to try them sooner or later...
In hindsight, i'm not so happy i've replaced a number of K and M lenses with their A counterparts. I've done it in the past to make full use of the new generations of Pentax film cameras, and i've done it again more recently, because of the crippled PKAF mount.
Using the K-1 i'm becoming less and less frustrated by the limitations of non-A lenses, and i'm even buying a few K and M lenses (some new to me, and some i used in the past).
I have seen that if i use a tool (a lens is a tool, isn't it?) with pleasure, it would positively affect the final result.
I love my K's, i like the way they feel in my hands, i like the way they are built.

cheers

Paolo
10-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Thanks Chuck,
if i'm not mistaken the K 2.8/24mm should have the same optical layout of the A version, which i own, and that is definitely not one of my best Pentax lenses.
So i'm not surprised by your considerations.
I remember i thought it was quite good on film... then it went into hibernation together with other film-era wide angles
The A version at least is very practical (P-TTL flash, 1/3 stop diaphragm granularity, quick operation, all exposure modes are available, etc), but my first feelings on FF have not been so positive, so if i need a 24mm i go for the Sigma EX DG 2.8/24-70mm. I mostly use primes, though i found that in certain cases a fast "normal" zoom that stretches its range down to 24mm can be invaluable.
If i will ever find a K 3.5/24mm for a convenient price i think i will give it a go. It looks reasonably small for a K series, and it doesn't use huge filters.
The other two K wides you own (4/20mm and 3.5/35mm) enjoy very good consideration. I'd be happy to try them sooner or later...
In hindsight, i'm not so happy i've replaced a number of K and M lenses with their A counterparts. I've done it in the past to make full use of the new generations of Pentax film cameras, and i've done it again more recently, because of the crippled PKAF mount.
Using the K-1 i'm becoming less and less frustrated by the limitations of non-A lenses, and i'm even buying a few K and M lenses (some new to me, and some i used in the past).
I have seen that if i use a tool (a lens is a tool, isn't it?) with pleasure, it would positively affect the final result.
I love my K's, i like the way they feel in my hands, i like the way they are built.

cheers

Paolo
I totally agree with your opinion of the K lens. I really enjoy the precise feel of a quality lens and it motivates and inspires me more than any test charts can.

Not meaning to jump on the Zeiss bandwagon(again), but if you are looking for an excellent 24 mm lens the Distagon 25mm is hard to beat. There is no comparison between it and the Pentax 24mm f2.8. And just to be clear, I am not talking about just sharpness - the colors and contrast are just about perfect and require very little processing

Last edited by sibyrnes; 10-18-2017 at 08:41 AM.
10-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
The K24/2.8 was released during the M Series run and if not for the 52mm filter thread, it most likely would have been labelled as a M24/2.8. I also have the K24/3.5, it's a totally different lens and I prefer it over all. I also have the FA24/2, it's excellent and slightly sharper in the corners, but I still really like using the way older K24/3.5. (I only shoot these on Pentax film cameras, so on a K-1 results may vary.)

Phil.
10-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The K24/2.8 was released during the M Series run and if not for the 52mm filter thread, it most likely would have been labelled as a M24/2.8. I also have the K24/3.5, it's a totally different lens and I prefer it over all. I also have the FA24/2, it's excellent and slightly sharper in the corners, but I still really like using the way older K24/3.5. (I only shoot these on Pentax film cameras, so on a K-1 results may vary.)

Phil.
That's interesting. I have often wondered if they had just forgotten to print the "M" on the 24 f2.8
10-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
... if you are looking for an excellent 24 mm lens the Distagon 25mm is hard to beat. There is no comparison between it and the Pentax 24mm. And just to be clear, I am not talking about just sharpness - the colors and contrast are just about perfect and require very little processing
I almost purchased the 25mm in Pentax mount (ZK). Two times i almost clicked the Buy button, but i decided to pass.
The price was very high and i still had to fully test on my new K-1 a few lenses in the same focal length that are already in my possession.
The Tokina AT-X 20-35mm (first version) is proving it's worth. Nice AF and much better than expected.
I still have to properly test the Sigma Ultra-Wide 2.8/24mm (AF version), which i expect to be a little better than the Pentax.
If i will not be happy enough with them, i will either try to find at a decent price a Contax AE version (to be leitaxed), or wait till the Samyang starts to be available second hand. I doubt i will ever buy a 25mm ZK cause my LBA budget is shrinking more and more
I tend to use either longer or shorter focals, i can't invest plenty of money in a lens i would rarely use...
Probably the first serious money will go for another portrait lens. Either the Laowa Venus 105mm Smooth Trans Focus, or the great Samyang 2/135mm. Both worthy candidates for a spot in the top 10 of best PK primes

cheers

Paolo
10-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Easy for me,,,

Pentax DA * 300mm F4 followed closely by the Pentax DA * 55mm F1.4 and honorable mention to the Pentax DA Limited 15mm F4.

If you took anyone of those out of my bag I don’t think I would like it very much.
10-19-2017, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Easy for me,,,

Pentax DA * 300mm F4 followed closely by the Pentax DA * 55mm F1.4 and honorable mention to the Pentax DA Limited 15mm F4.
This is why i loved this thread since the beginning!
It reminds me of the wide spectrum of intentions/expectations/motives that guide our tastes and our purchases.
I own a couple of DA lenses (btw, very forgettable ones), and never had the intention to buy any of those chosen by gm4life.
Of course i had APS-C cameras before the K-1, but with two notable exception (Sigma 10-20mm and Sigma 1.4/30mm) i always refrained from investing good money in lenses for the cropped format. I already had plenty of film lenses, including some A Star, and for some reason i always believed there would be a full frame, someday. So even the new acquisitions were FF compatible.
I was going to buy a complementary Sony A7R... when the K-1 came out and rewarded my patience.
So my personal lens Olympus (the greek abode of gods, not the japanese company!) is completely different.
I realize that if we were asked which, of all lenses, we would like to receive as a gift, the answers would differ a lot.
Trying to understand why can be entertaining and informative at the same time.
Personally i'm not sure i could give a straight answer, but if i were hard pressed to give one, i'd be probably torn between a choice that most people would find laughable, with few good reasons, i admit (a late Enna 1.5/85mm M42), and another one that would probably meet the taste of many (the FA* 200mm Macro).
Choosing one would be difficult. One would satisfy the collector (and lover of beautifully crafted old portrait lenses), and the other would reward the macro enthusiast.

cheers

Paolo
10-19-2017, 03:04 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Pentax FA* 200/4 Macro.
10-19-2017, 04:56 PM - 3 Likes   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Easy for me,,,

If you took anyone of those out of my bag I don’t think I would like it very much.
I have two of those, love that 15 and here's a recent shot with the 300:

Last edited by sibyrnes; 10-28-2017 at 07:17 PM.
10-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I feel like the quality of a review is based on what other images a photographer has used. I know that when I reviewed the FA 50 and DA 40 limited, I was coming from kit lens/consumer telephoto type territory and I thought they were about the best ever. I have used more lenses since then and I wouldn't rank them quite as high. Beyond which, all of the lenses out there (with a few exceptions) seem to have scores between 8 and 10.

But the overall score probably isn't as useful as the narrative -- hopefully it lets you know strengths and weakness of a piece of glass, as well as what other lenses the reviewer is comparing it to.
I agree with you completely. I also feel that the narrative is more useful, and it's precisely because as you mentioned, all scores are between 7.6 and 10, so they contain little useful information...