Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

10-17 filters (sort of)?

I ordered a Godox ML-150 ring flash from Amazon last night (it’s coming from China so it won’t be here for a while - sigh). I plan on using it with my D-FA 100 macro of DA 35 macro, however; I have the DA 10-17 and I love the macro-like shots taken with it. I was wondering, if anyone has made or seen a way to attach filters to the front so I can hang the ring flash out there? I’m sure it may vigenette but that’s okay, if I can better light the subjects I’ll take that trade off.

10-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think at 10mm it will do more than vignette.
10-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think at 10mm it will do more than vignette.
You’re probable right, but if I could put it slightly behind the hood I think it would work well. The hood my cause a shadow, but as long as I could light the center I could maybe account for that.
I appreciate your reply.
10-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would think some trusty duct tape.

10-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
I ordered a Godox ML-150 ring flash from Amazon last night (it’s coming from China so it won’t be here for a while - sigh). I plan on using it with my D-FA 100 macro of DA 35 macro, however; I have the DA 10-17 and I love the macro-like shots taken with it. I was wondering, if anyone has made or seen a way to attach filters to the front so I can hang the ring flash out there? I’m sure it may vigenette but that’s okay, if I can better light the subjects I’ll take that trade off.

have you tried gaffer's tape?
10-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See this:

How to use filters on the Tokina 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 fisheye · David Kennard Photography

The DA 10-17 not only shared its optical design with the Tokina, the petal hood is also threaded in the same manner. It's been some years, but IIRC, I screwed a 58mm step ring onto mine to see if it fit, and it did.
10-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It has a 58mm filter thread. Use a step-up ring to get beyond the 'hood'.

10-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't need to have it in front of the lens like a filter, so the best bet is to mount it on the lens hood somehow, as far back as you can. The lens hood outside diameter is about 60mm and the flash data says it can be mounted on larger lenses than that, so the opening should be big enough.
10-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies

I have an LED ring light that doesn't really provide much light at all and after reading THoogs link (thanks) I tried it on the da 10-17 with the 58mm adapter. It only vignettes a "little." Even so, I think it will be useful for shooting insects... Some of these are camera cropped (K-1) and two are full frame, one has been edited. Can you spot the difference?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo