Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 300mm Focus Ring

Only threads I found concerning the focus ring on this lens deal with wobble or sticking. The issue with my copy is that the focus ring has virtually no damping. Dampening? Have had this lens for about a year and just haven't used it that much. Thinking about selling it. Auto focus works great but manually focusing is tough because of the free play of the focus ring. Hoping other owners of this lens can tell me if their copy is similar. Would like to get some feedback before I put it up for sale.

10-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All my DA* lenses are like that. I have the 16-50 and 50-135 and 60-250 and all are loose with almost no feedback when used manually. I'm pretty sure that the 300 is the same.
10-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My DA*300 is like that also.
I do not manual focus very often with it but it works fine for me the way it operates.
It is with out a doubt the best lens I own and use it the most for my nature photos.

Clarence
10-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
All my DA* lenses are like that. I have the 16-50 and 50-135 and 60-250 and all are loose with almost no feedback when used manually. I'm pretty sure that the 300 is the same.
Thanks for your response uncle. Manual focus on my DA* 300mm felt different enough from my other lenses to make me wonder.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
My DA*300 is like that also.
I do not manual focus very often with it but it works fine for me the way it operates.
It is with out a doubt the best lens I own and use it the most for my nature photos.

Clarence
"It is with out a doubt the best lens I own and use it the most for my nature photos."
I wish you hadn't have said that. I'm looking at a couple of lenses I think I'd use more often and trying to justify selling this lens to pay for them. You're not making it easy.

10-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
My DA* 300 has none of that slack, the focus ring is nice and smooth with the right amount of dampening. Manual focusing is not a problem. Although mine has a S/N starting with #906
My only problem is when on a strap, the lens is bouncing a sliding on my hip and all the movements of walking rotates the focus to minimum. I have to manually twist it back when I bring the camera up to my eye.
10-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sterby Quote
My DA* 300 has none of that slack, the focus ring is nice and smooth with the right amount of dampening. Manual focusing is not a problem. Although mine has a S/N starting with #906
My only problem is when on a strap, the lens is bouncing a sliding on my hip and all the movements of walking rotates the focus to minimum. I have to manually twist it back when I bring the camera up to my eye.
Is there some significance to that serial number? Just curious. My DA 300 has a serial number starting with 905 and the focus ring works very well for an autofocus lens - much nicer than my DA 200.
10-24-2017, 01:16 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Is there some significance to that serial number? Just curious. My DA 300 has a serial number starting with 905 and the focus ring works very well for an autofocus lens - much nicer than my DA 200.
Only thing I know is related to the SDM plaque, S/N starting from 904xxxx are made with revised SDM design. One would assume they also improved smaller design flaws as well.
Or I got lucky, who knows?

10-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sterby Quote
Only thing I know is related to the SDM plaque, S/N starting from 904xxxx are made with revised SDM design. One would assume they also improved smaller design flaws as well.
Or I got lucky, who knows?
Hmm, mine starts with 906 and had SDM problems. No issues with the focus ring though it does move much more easily than other lenses I've used. I haven't handled any other SDM lenses though.