Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Put me down in the "it's a keeper" category--I liked especially the colors and bokeh of the middle shot...you'll have to scare up some Zeiss owners, but in my admittedly limited experience the rendering seems close. As for Pentax options, the K-series 55/1.8 has to be the all-time "bang-for-the-buck" champion, with a unique look all its own.
It's a tough race between that lens, the Rikenon P 50 1.4 (which does offer a much faster aperture and is sharper wide open - it's even sharper and contrastier wide open than the 55 f2 version, which I have), and of course the Pentax M 50 1.7 which is an absolute delight to use at f/1.7, at least the two copies I've owned (the Rikenon still being slightly better though, and over a half step faster). We could get into a whole new thread just to discuss this subject, though

10-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Let's not forget that this lens sells for 60-70 dollars in the used market usually... sure the Sigma 50 1.4 Art is sharper at f/1.4, but at $950 it costs 15x more.

I have this Rikenon P and the Pentax-M 50 1.4 and there's no comparison in sharpness, the Rikenon P wins hands down, though the Pentax lens renders very nicely in its own way and is also a delight to shoot with, with perhaps a bit better bokeh.
I did not see or investigate the lens that was used. I'm sure, as with all lenses, it will sharpen up when stopped down. It is very good bad as-is.
10-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
which does offer a much faster aperture
2/3 stops faster...

But...Before everyone runs out to drive the price of the Rikenon-P 50/1.4 into the stratosphere...

It should be noted that this lens will ALWAYS feature a variation of the dreaded "Ricoh Pin". While the metal ball variant of the pin is generally considered safe, other types may result in the lens being stuck to the camera due to the pin being fouled by the AF drive well. Before mounting any Ricoh P mount lens or adapter (e.g. Adaptall), check for the pin!

Steve
10-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
2/3 stops faster...

But...Before everyone runs out to drive the price of the Rikenon-P 50/1.4 into the stratosphere...

It should be noted that this lens will ALWAYS feature a variation of the dreaded "Ricoh Pin". While the metal ball variant of the pin is generally considered safe, other types may result in the lens being stuck to the camera due to the pin being fouled by the AF drive well. Before mounting any Ricoh P mount lens or adapter (e.g. Adaptall), check for the pin!

Steve
The one I have does not have a pin.

10-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
The one I have does not have a pin.
Was it surgically removed or is it other than Ricoh P mount? The pin is almost directly across from the red index dot.

Steve
10-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Was it surgically removed or is it other than Ricoh P mount? The pin is almost directly across from the red index dot.
No surgery on this lens. Across from the index dot it has a little ball bearing type thing which I assume is some contact point but no problem at all.

This was literally the very first lens I bought (other than the kit lens that came with my camera) back when I started photography back in 2012 so I have always been curious about my purchase. It was $98 bucks including the professional cleaning job done prior to my purchasing of it.

It has sat on the shelf (or rather in the bag) for a really long time with just minimal use but now on the K-1 I like it now that I can see the whole shebang.

I have heard of the Ricoh pin but I have never had any experience with it. Definitely not on this lens.
10-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another thing about this lens and the K-1 that I like... is when you are in live mode with the K-1 you can use the top dial and zoom in while still live. I JUST figured this out after I took those pictures above, but with that feature on the camera body it will make focusing a whole lot easier. I am going to use this lens a lot more now.
10-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

No surgery on this lens. Across from the index dot it has a little ball bearing type thing which I assume is some contact point but no problem at all.
That is the ball contact variant of the pin. It is generally regarded as safe, though with no guarantees. I have a lens of this type and have had no problems, though I do take care to make sure the AF pawl is retracted by putting the AF switch in the "M" position. I figure there is no sense in roughing up either the lens or the body. The two other variants I am aware of have an actual "pin", one with squared-off end and the other with rounded end. Both are extremely dangerous.

Another thing about this lens and the K-1 that I like... is when you are in live mode with the K-1 you can use the top dial and zoom in while still live.
You can also use the "OK" button to use magnified live view. That is one of the nice features of most (all?) Pentax cameras having live view that makes it very useful for manual focus and also for evaluating AF fine adjustment.

Another feature that I have found very useful is metering with non-"A" lenses that provides more appropriate stop-down readings than when using the main meter in the optical viewfinder. I have been experimenting with using live view with my aperture-ring-required lenses to meter the scene in M mode. I then switch back to the optical viewfinder and shoot with those settings until either the light or subject changes. So far, so good!

Steve

10-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #24
Forum Member

You can also use the "OK" button to use magnified live view. That is one of the nice features of most (all?) Pentax cameras having live view that makes it very useful for manual focus and also for evaluating AF fine adjustment.

Steve
A pet peeve I have with my K30 that I use for astro is that it only has 6x Live View Magnification.

The screen is 900k dots or 300k pixels so should be 640x480? To have 1:1 magnification of a full image (4928x3264) you would need about 7x magnification (4928/640)
10-20-2017, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That is the ball contact variant of the pin. It is generally regarded as safe, though with no guarantees. I have a lens of this type and have had no problems, though I do take care to make sure the AF pawl is retracted by putting the AF switch in the "M" position. I figure there is no sense in roughing up either the lens or the body. The two other variants I am aware of have an actual "pin", one with squared-off end and the other with rounded end. Both are extremely dangerous.
At the risk of being more boring that usual, I will elaborate a bit more even though this information is found many other places on this site and on the Web...
  • Some form of the "Ricoh Pin" is found on ALL Rikenon-P lenses. Ricoh was good enough to label them as such and also to provide a bright green "P" position on the aperture ring.
  • The "pin" is found on the mount face approximately opposite the red index mark and supports automatic aperture control for program and shutter-priority exposure automation when paired with compatible Ricoh cameras.
  • The "pin" is a potential hazard for all but one* Pentax auto-focus bodies in that it may foul the AF drive pawl well. This results in the lens being jammed onto the camera.
  • Removal of a stuck lens may be very difficult to the point where the lens may have to be cut off.
  • M42 Rikenon lenses are always free on the pin. The aperture actuator coupling has no potential to foul the AF drive.
  • As noted in the quoted text above, not all variants of the pin have the hazard potential
  • This problem has existed since the first KAF bodies in the early 1990s. (Ricoh P mount lenses date to 1984.) Yes, Pentax is culpable.
  • The pin is fairly common on manual-focus** third-party K-mount lenses where it may be encountered both alone and in combination with Pentax-style "A" contacts. This last style may be difficult to identify, though the special position on the aperture ring is generally something other than "A" (e.g. "P" or "AE"). The pin should be suspected when any of the following marks are present:
    • Ricoh
    • Pentax/Ricoh
    • R/KA
    • RP
    • R-P
    • Ricoh-P
    If in doubt, check the mount. No standard Pentax K variant has a pin or contact at the location used by the Ricoh Pin.
  • Tamron also made Adaptall-2 mounts for Rikenon-P. I have never seen a ball-type contact on one of these and believe that all use a projecting pin.
I know this is overkill, but if it can spare even one user some pain, it is worth the effort.

Steve

* The sole exception is the Pentax ME-F.
** Since the pin is at the location of the AF pawl, I guess this is rather obvious.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-20-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Grammar