Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2017, 03:22 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DFA 150-450 and 9 point AF failure on K3

I've had the DFA 150-450 for a while now, always using it with centre point AF. On the weekend, I decided to try 9 point auto AF on the K3. The lens almost immediately went to minimum focal distance and stayed there. I thought that using the focus limiter might have been the issue (in some contradictory way) but today I tried again with the lens set to full range rather than 6m-infinity and had the same result. Has anyone else experienced issues on the K3 with the DFA 150-450 and 9 point AF?

PS I have the latest firmware on the camera (1.30) which was kindly installed by the Ricoh attendant in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

10-16-2017, 06:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Auto AF is garbage. Try Expanded Area AF.
10-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Auto AF is garbage. Try Expanded Area AF.
OK, but any AF mode should work, rather than going to minimum focus and staying there refusing to move.
10-16-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the AF is "auto" as in select the area, it will almost invariably select the closest point with any contrast to it. That option invariably gives me indigestion, not to mention out of focus images.

10-16-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If the AF is "auto" as in select the area, it will almost invariably select the closest point with any contrast to it. That option invariably gives me indigestion, not to mention out of focus images.
OK, but have you tried the 9 point auto AF option from the interface accessed on the K3 using the "Info" button with the DFA 150-450? When I do, the lens goes to minimum focal distance and stays there. I'm not just talking about being out of focus because the camera picks the wrong AF point. The subject I was using this on was a plane that almost filled the viewfinder in bright sunlight. Not a low contrast scene. If the lens was hunting, I would have been less concerned. It's not hunting. It's not playing at all.
10-17-2017, 03:53 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
If anyone with a DFA 150-450 and K3 could try the setting and let me know if you have any issues, it would be greatly appreciated!
10-17-2017, 04:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K3 and D FA 150-450 play nicely together on all settings including 9 point AF.
Could you possibly have the lenses AF limit switch set outside the distance needed for the scene?

Glenn

10-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just tested my K3II and D FA 150-450 in 9 point AF mode, and no issues.

Have you double checked the focus mode switch, as well as all the other focus related switches to make sure one isn't in a partial engagement etc.?
10-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
My K3 and D FA 150-450 play nicely together on all settings including 9 point AF.
Could you possibly have the lenses AF limit switch set outside the distance needed for the scene?
The first time, the lens was set to focus limiting 6m-infinity and I was photographing aircraft in flight, so it should have been appropriate. The second time, I turned off the focus limiting and had the same result - lens went to minimum focus and stayed there. What firmware does your camera have, please?

---------- Post added 18-10-17 at 09:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Just tested my K3II and D FA 150-450 in 9 point AF mode, and no issues.
Thanks! I'll have to experiment more to see if I can identify what triggers the issue. The K3II is a slightly different camera with different firmware, so it may not have the same bug, but thanks for responding!

QuoteQuote:
Have you double checked the focus mode switch, as well as all the other focus related switches to make sure one isn't in a partial engagement etc.?
Good point. I'll double check - although I have no problem as soon as I set the AF to centre spot.
10-18-2017, 04:19 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

[snip]

Thanks! I'll have to experiment more to see if I can identify what triggers the issue. The K3II is a slightly different camera with different firmware, so it may not have the same bug, but thanks for responding!

Good point. I'll double check - although I have no problem as soon as I set the AF to centre spot.

Yep, a bit different, but since you were being flooded with responses, I figured it couldn't helpt but to throw it out there.

Hope it turns out to just be some odd combination of switch setting/something not seated etc. Have you made sure the electrical contacts on the lens and body are all happy too? Just thinking out loud without enough coffee yet, but hopefully it'll be something simple like that.
10-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
If anyone with a DFA 150-450 and K3 could try the setting and let me know if you have any issues, it would be greatly appreciated!
I did try this when I was testing the lens last winter, on a K-3 and K-1. The behaviour you describe did not occur.

are there objects close to you in the FOV? Try maybe to shoot at only distant objects, with nothing close, and see what happens. Otherwise, change the camera's batteries and see how it works, sometimes with larger lenses when batteries are low AF behaves strangely.
10-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Yep, a bit different, but since you were being flooded with responses, I figured it couldn't helpt but to throw it out there. Hope it turns out to just be some odd combination of switch setting/something not seated etc. Have you made sure the electrical contacts on the lens and body are all happy too? Just thinking out loud without enough coffee yet, but hopefully it'll be something simple like that.
Since the lens behaves normally when on centre spot AF, I doubt that the contacts are involved. I also haven't had similar behaviour with any other lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I did try this when I was testing the lens last winter, on a K-3 and K-1. The behaviour you describe did not occur. are there objects close to you in the FOV? Try maybe to shoot at only distant objects, with nothing close, and see what happens. Otherwise, change the camera's batteries and see how it works, sometimes with larger lenses when batteries are low AF behaves strangely.
The battery was fully charged at the time when this first occurred, but thanks for the suggestion. The camera also works fine on centre spot AF. I'll have to try to experiment more. As I mentioned, the key behaviour that was concerning was that the lens went to minimum focus and stayed there, not responding at all to repeatedly half depressing the shutter release, and despite there being a high contrast subject in the field of view.
10-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, the problem may have been a PEBCAK. The focus limiter has the ranges as: full, 2-6 then 6-infinity, which isn't a very logical progression. I suspect that I may have accidentally put the lens on 2-6m when I meant to have it on 6-infinity. However, more testing needed.
10-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just experimented a bit more. Low contrast does seem to be a problem, but only in Auto 9 point AF. There's a reasonable variety of detail in the clouds today, but Auto 9 point AF complete fails to lock on any of it, while centre point is fine, and manual select 9 point AF is fine. So the Auto 9 point AF issue isn't entirely a PEBCAK. It does seem to work OK on higher contrast subjects - trees on hills, buildings, but not clouds.
10-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, good news! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can do this (type of thing)....

The different modes are definitely worth trying to see what works best under different conditions.

And I actually find the sequence quite logical - think of full range as the limiter being set to 0 (off), and then the following ranges are a natural progression.