Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #1

pentax 18-55 I and II - really different?

about pentax 18-55mm I and II:

i read that they are different lens.

but quality (sharp, colors, bokeh...)?
the "II version" are really better of "I version"?

08-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

check out the dpreview forum, there have been some comparison tests
it's usually along the lines of II is sharper but still has wide angle vignetting problem
08-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
check out the dpreview forum, there have been some comparison tests
it's usually along the lines of II is sharper but still has wide angle vignetting problem
That pretty much sums it up. The II may also be slightly better at close focus, but then again that is probably the difference in the sharpness. My assessment is just anecdotal from personal observations. The II is probably a better lens than people give it credit for unless you have a K20D.
08-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had the version one which I have sold. I have also had two copies of version two. I think version two is sharper and more importantly the sharpness does not drop off near the edges like the first version.

08-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The II is probably a better lens than people give it credit for unless you have a K20D.
That could well be. I have "only" the K200D and found barely any difference at all in sharpness (where I was supposed to expect the most difference). Given a choice, I'd pick the "II" just on general principles, but if I already had the "I", I wouldn't waste the money on a upgrade. There are much better uses for your $100 if you're looking to get better results (and I'd start with a prime). Perhaps, as Pentax has implied and you suggest, the weaknesses of the "I" are really exposed more by the K20D. I have my doubts, though, because neither take pictures that strike me as sensor-limited in resolution, except *maybe* at f/8 - f/11. And I suppose that's where advantage lies.
08-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the I version and borrowed my daughters II to see if I needed to upgrade. For my type of shooting, mostly outdoors, it's a wash.