Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Focus Confirmation - Viewfinder

An easy question for all K10D owners. Do you get focus confirmation with K & A series lenses on the K10D or do you need to get a split screen installed? Also how would you rate the viewfinder as compared to other cameras you have used?

02-20-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll get focus confirmation with MF lenses as long as you set the camera to AF (C or S) mode. Unaided MF is fine for landscapes, but you will need a split-screen/microprism installed if you like action photography.

The K10D thankfully has a pentaprism viewfinder. It's obviously smaller than those on film bodies, but I can't complain about the quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's great news to my ears. It seems that Pentax has really followed through with the whole backwards tech thing very well. I'm really looking forward to trying out all my M42 lenses. I raided the cash convertors the other day and walked out with 5 M42s. Takumar SMC50mm f1.4, Pentacon 28mm, Fujica 24mm, Soligor 135mm f2.8 and a Ziess 35mm. Now I just need to buy a Jupiter 85 f2 and a Pentacon 200mm. Not bad for about $60.00!! Most of the second hand shops don't know what they're selling. Maybe I'll get some exactra extension tubes for those M42s. I guess the focus confirmation works with the M42s as well. I noticed that there are 2 kinds of adaptors and I need to get the one that mounts flush.
02-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I raided the cash convertors the other day and walked out with 5 M42s. Takumar SMC50mm f1.4, Pentacon 28mm, Fujica 24mm, Soligor 135mm f2.8 and a Ziess 35mm. Now I just need to buy a Jupiter 85 f2 and a Pentacon 200mm. Not bad for about $60.00!!
hoolly....crap...maybe I should check into those pawnbroker shops rather than just walking by them all the time.

02-21-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
How about focus confirmation with the M42 stuff, is that possible with the K10D?
02-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

How about focus confirmation with the M42 stuff, is that possible with the K10D?
Hey Timbuctoo,

Are you sold on switching to Pentax as well? Nice to see a fellow dyxum member here I'll be picking up my k10d in early march.

I was also curious about focus confirmation. I got to thinking...In the Minolta 7D, the, the Focus confirmation light would come while manual focussing AF lenses. I typically used to lock on the centre AF and recompose for my general focusing. Does the confirmation use the centre AF point, or does one of the other AF points illuminate when you hit the focus? I haven't tried any other method on my 7D and have no AF lenses left with which to test it

Oh last question...I assume a split screen doesn't have a negative effect on AF or focus confirmation?
02-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
hoolly....crap...maybe I should check into those pawnbroker shops rather than just walking by them all the time.
One thing's for sure - if they've got the right stuff, it's a great way to feed your LBA
02-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely! I've been using lots of Takumars and they work great!

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Oh last question...I assume a split screen doesn't have a negative effect on AF or focus confirmation?
It definitely doesn't affect AF KatzEye says that if anything, the split screen may influence metering just a bit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

So the question for me is...using ONLY m42 lenses, should I get an optiBrite coating or not. And I'm still curious which AF sensors are used for MF focus confirmation.

It seems that lenses like my 300/4 SMC Takumar tend to over-expose a little at small apertures. On one hand, one would like to a have bright viewfinder when shooting 300mm @ f8 for sharpness...on the other hand, proper exposure (and shutter speed) at this length is of utmost importance.

Given that Optibrite coatings tend towards overexposure, this would compound the slight overexposure of such m42 lenses at small apertures...so the standard screen would probably be the best choice overall.

Make sense?
Cheers,
D
02-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
So the question for me is...using ONLY m42 lenses, should I get an optiBrite coating or not. And I'm still curious which AF sensors are used for MF focus confirmation.
D
On my K100 - I've only seen the centre focus sensor working with my K and M lenses. Can't pick and choose. Dunno about the K10D.
02-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hello Damien, no I'm not soldout but in transition. I do weddings as well as the odd lightning photo so as you can imagine the K10D seems like a no fuss bargain to me. Water resistant which is perfect for lightning photography and more sturdy than the Alpha 100. I mainly shoot my weddings in ISO200-400 so the rumoured noise issues are no problem for me whatsoever. The fact that I can get focus confirmation with my growing range of M42 lenses & infinity focus without sanding is also great. Then there is the well priced water resistant + AF + SSMed lenses coming soon for the K10D.

I'm not overly fussed about the coming Zeiss lenses because of their price and the new A10 (rumoured) will be to expensive I would think. I'm only a relative beginner as compared to you and others about the place but I was quick to learn that I needed to distinguish between LBA and taking photos to make money. I need a good performer that gives me good results and will last me for a few years. My 7D has been great but is starting to show signs of black frame cancer and will now serve as my backup. The K10D will take over as my primary camera for the weddings.

It's nice to see a familiar username here and I'm looking forward to see some of your Pentax pics in the comp they have going on. It would be nice if both Dyxum and Pentaxforums.com could have a once yearly battle of the brands photo competition that would be amazing. Give a decent prize with a few different subjects. The quality of the photos would be awesome!! The winner gets crowed forum photographer of the year and the brand gets crowed brand of the year!! I'm off to NZ in a couple of weeks so hopefully I'll have the K10D by then. I'll look forward to your posts.

Tim H