Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Value Telephoto Decision???

Hi all...

Which route would you go for this? I want a long telephoto to play with, got the bug bad. K100D. I currently have up to 200mm in a couple of configurations. I want more, probably a 400mm

-- I want to avoid the 2x teleconverters. I do have one on the way, but I see that as not a real solution. I certainly will give it a try, but don't want to count on it.

-- I want a proper tripod mount. It is essential. I do not want to try to add one later.

-- I would probably prefer a prime lens. ???. I use manual focus. I just like it. ???.

-- I want value; that is decent performance for a cheap price. I am, ahem, a frugal shopper. Finding a deal is part of the fun. I am more a collector than a photographer. Collectible and coolness factor are considerations.

Thus, I have come to the conclusion that my best option is an M-42 mount:

I tried an adapter once but thought it was cheesy. It was cheesy. The adapter was thin and did not cover the receiver properly. The auto-focus drive and data pins were exposed. ???. It looks like that was cheap adapter and that there are better ones out there. I would semi-permanent mount a K adapter to the lens.

I have seen the all the Takumars out there. Very cool. Any recommendations? Is this a wise way to go for my situation?

I have also seen the Russian lenses. Are these any good, or is this just silly romanticism? I had a small Mir once, it seemed to be a good lens. How about the bigger makes? Zenit? Has anyone tried one of these: MC Tair-33 4.5 / 300mm. I'm curious about that one, that's a big lens.

What about a common Vivitar or some other third-party lens? Not as cool, but may be the best way to take pictures. Any favorites?

Thanks.

Last edited by jocko_nc; 08-25-2008 at 09:02 AM.
08-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

too bad you missed out on this, beyond excellent deal
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/35223-sold-sigma-af-400mm-f5-6-pentax.html
08-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

WOW, an autofocus 400mm f/5.6 for less than $200! To compare somewhat apples to pears (as opposed to oranges), the Canon 400mm f/5.6 L goes for ~$1100!
08-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yea, that looks like a deal. For that kind of money, skip the old stuff entirely.