Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2017, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Beware the new lens

I just bought a new Pentax DFA 150-450. Delivered yesterday. Unboxed it, threw it on the K-1, and popped outside for a few test shots. Worked like a charm, except ...

... several dust spots suddenly appeared on the sensor! They were not there immediately before attaching the lens (I have the photos to prove it), and I changed lenses indoors with no dust present. It is clear the "dust" is debris that was present around the rear element of the 150-450, which is surrounded by a sort of felt rim (unlike the DFA* 70-200 and the DFA 15-30). I can only guess this was holding some particles left over from manufacture.

I have managed to remove all the spots with a rocket blower, apart from one. This last one is very stubborn. I do not have a sensor cleaning brush. I feel I should complain under warranty to Pentax and ask for the sensor to be cleaned. Is that reasonable? I actually bought the 150-450 from DCXPERT, which is the eBay store of CR Kennedy, the official Australian Pentax distributer.

You can see some spots here. They are in exactly the same position in every shot, including with a different lens.

After cleaning with the blower, I have only this.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 10-20-2017 at 05:23 AM.
10-20-2017, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I do not have a sensor cleaning brush. I feel I should complain under warranty to Pentax and ask for the sensor to be cleaned. Is that reasonable?
Hi Paul

Having had something similar happen before, I now routinely use a dust blower on the rear of my lenses (including brand new models) before fitting them. That's not always practical in the field, but I do it whenever possible.

That aside, dust on the sensor is going to happen at some point, and I don't personally feel this is a warranty issue. Now would be a good time to invest in some good sensor cleaning tools (I recommend a Giottos blower, Pentax O-ICK1 gel stick, some good quality branded sensor swabs and high quality cleaning fluid). You're going to end up with dust on the sensor again at some point, so you may as well get kitted out now. I believe everyone should have the tools to do this, as it really is a part of routine camera care. The Pentax gel stick, I am sure, would quickly remove that remaining bit of dust

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-20-2017 at 05:24 AM.
10-20-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

gorgeous rendition of colours,crispness etc - which will be there long after the dust spots are a memory - that lens has to be on my want list
10-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I feel I should complain under warranty to Pentax and ask for the sensor to be cleaned. Is that reasonable?
No harm in asking. With all the Pentax gear you have, you should expect great customer care. Just call CRK and ask for a free clean. I'm sure they won't turn you away.

In Australia, other brands (even Sony!!) have support programs that offer professionals things like regular and free sensor cleans. Often the only qualifier for 'pro' status is ownership of two 'pro' bodies and lenses. In Pentaxland, I reckon you'd qualify for similar treatment.

10-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Strange! (I'm presuming the lens was entirely new and never-opened when you got it.)

It does suggest that operating the zoom of the 150-450 with it off the camera is a really bad idea as is leaving the backside without cap.
10-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never zoomed my 150-450 off the camera - always have it at 150 and locked when changing lenses/storing/etc., but this really sounds like one should never extend the lens while off because of dust that might get sucked in. Wouldn't have thought about it until reading this. Probably good preventive medicine to not play with racking any lens in/out off the camera.

Last edited by clickclick; 10-20-2017 at 05:27 PM.
10-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Paul

Having had something similar happen before, I now routinely use a dust blower on the rear of my lenses (including brand new models) before fitting them. That's not always practical in the field, but I do it whenever possible.
Like BigMack I routinely blow the rear element and rear lens cap as I take them off the camera, as well as blowing both lens and cap when I fit next lens on camera. Always have a blower in pocket.Takes seconds. As well as sheltering from breeze, facing body down, and a quick change in the field and I've only had one dust spec in several years, back on old K5 - that I caused. Never on two K3 bodies, nor K1. Lucky ? Maybe ? The other time, was when I sent the lens and body off for calibration - sensor came back filthy. Needed a blower and Pentax lens sticky thing to clean it.
10-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Even if Pentax would agree to clean it under warranty, which is far from a sure thing, I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. Paying for shipping to the service center, waiting at least a few days if not weeks for the camera to come back, added to the risk of it getting broke or lost during shipment isn't justified for something you can easily do yourself or costing only a few tens at any decent camera shop.

Dust on sensor is something that will happen sooner or later, with any camera. And sensor cleaning is more or less part of their normal maintenance.

10-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Paying for shipping to the service center, waiting at least a few days if not weeks for the camera to come back, added to the risk of it getting broke or lost during shipment isn't justified for something you can easily do yourself
I believe the original poster is in the same city (Melbourne) as the local Pentax distributor and their service centre. So it might just be a walk-in job. Book it in, walk it in.
10-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the field blow with your mouth. Not straight into it but more like a tangential angle. Imagine T. The vertical part is your lens. The horizontal line is your mouth blown air. It works on less adamant dust particles.
10-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These big weather sealed lenses can indeed cause a lot of air flow inside the camera, especially when new. That's probably why the dust got sucked in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have written to CRK to see if they'll clean it. I can drop it there in person (I'm a regular visitor ).