Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 200mm and DA* 300mm

There has been alot of discussion on here about the full frame compatibility of different DA and DA* lenses with the telephoto 200mm and 300mm getting alot of attention considering the idea that it doesn't make much sense to shrink the image circle of these size lenses.

I noticed something interesting on the Pentax Japan english website and if someone else has mentioned this I apologize, but I didn't see a thread or post mentioning this.

On the website all of the DA lenses are labled Digital SLR only, that is except for two of them. The DA* 200mm and 300mm. It could be a typo, but that seems to me an indication that these lenses are acknowledged by Pentax to be full frame lenses.

Once again I could be completely off base here but I found it interesting.

08-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

interesting observation. the japan site seems to have the most information. hopefully it will all be relevealed in a month
falconeye's been doing some tests on film and the 300 looks slightly iffy in the corners
08-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mk07138 Quote
There has been alot of discussion on here about the full frame compatibility of different DA and DA* lenses with the telephoto 200mm and 300mm getting alot of attention considering the idea that it doesn't make much sense to shrink the image circle of these size lenses.

I noticed something interesting on the Pentax Japan english website and if someone else has mentioned this I apologize, but I didn't see a thread or post mentioning this.

On the website all of the DA lenses are labled Digital SLR only, that is except for two of them. The DA* 200mm and 300mm. It could be a typo, but that seems to me an indication that these lenses are acknowledged by Pentax to be full frame lenses.

Once again I could be completely off base here but I found it interesting.
Both the DA 200 and 300 are capabable of full frame photo. If they are able to shoot full frame with SR (which require an even larger image circle noone seams to know yet). DA do not mean smaller image circle, only that they are adapted for digital. Pentax do not have any lens naming that tells you whehter they support full fram or not, you need to do as you did it, look in the data.

Ohh, maybe I should aslo add, I have learnt that it would not make sense to make tele lenses with smaller image circle. You get it for free. Maybe you could if you made 200/5.6 or something like that, I have never seen the full eplxnation, nor have I done the math. SO the longer the lens the more liely it is to support full frame.
08-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
DA do not mean smaller image circle, only that they are adapted for digital. Pentax do not have any lens naming that tells you whehter they support full fram or not, you need to do as you did it, look in the data.
I remember that when DFA 50mm and DFA 100mm macro lenses were introduced the designation DFA was put to mean he lenses are FF and 1.5x crop digital compatible. Since then no other DFA lens was introduced. Therefore, the DA lenses are not necessarily meant to be FF compatible. Which is a pity with all those FF rumors and wishful thinking.