Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flaws/blemishes?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am considering purchasing a used lens and the seller describes it as having "micro clear dots" when viewed under bright light. Of course they claim no impact on images (probably true). My question is, has anyone here ever discovered a flaw that they would describe this way? What might this blemish be caused by? I have asked the seller for clarification but haven't heard back from them yet.

10-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of that's dust, then you're fine. But if it's fungus, don't get the lens. Did they post a photo of it?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the auction. Since the lens usually seems to go for $200ish in similar condition, I decided to give it a chance so I bought it. MAMIYA SEKOR RB67 50mm.C f 4.5 LENS | eBay I don't see anything in the photos that appears to be anything more than normal internal dust. I also checked the feedback and he has listed several other lenses listed with the same flaw. The auction states no fungus and no separation so I feel pretty safe. Do you see anything amiss in the photos?
10-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. That's good to know. I have often taken a chance on equipment that is in excellent overall condition but with some minor flaw that I hope is fixable. Usually I am able to get a much better deal and end up with gear that after repair, not only functions flawlessly, but also ended up costing the same or less overall than if I'd gotten the same piece advertised in good working order. I got that beautiful Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm A-series Komine lens that you CLAd for me for $20 if I remember correctly. Currently, there are three of them on eBay, one for about $120, and three for over $200. They are all the non-A versions too. I gave $11 total for my cosmetically perfect SV and after Eric's magic, it works perfectly now too. Hopefully this 50mm Sekor C will work out too.

10-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The lens arrived today and is in exceptional condition. I can see the tiny flaw inside of the lens but I don't think it will affect anything, To me it just looks like another tiny piece of dust only you can tell that it isn't dust. I think that it does look like a miniscule splatter of oil as mentioned above. If the lens should ever need to be CLA'd, I'll have it addressed then. Otherwise, I think I'm really going to enjoy this gorgeous piece of glass!