Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2017, 02:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+Use of HD DA AF Rear Converter 1.4X AW

I am considering purchasing a HD DA AF Rear Converter 1.4X AW to use with my K-3 camera and HD DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR lens.
Does anyone have experience of this combination and can comment on:

Image sharpness/degradation compared with using the lens only.
Reduction in viewfinder brightness (has this been a problem).
Autofocus performance.
Accuracy of the camera metering system.
Any adjustments to the camera settings required to optimise performance.
Any problems you have encountered using this combination.

Many thanks for your assistance.

10-24-2017, 02:38 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope this might help you out.

I have not used my 1.4 with that lens but I have used it with this one: SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED

I am a newbie and not technical so I can't answer your questions, only show what I was able to capture

I don't remember any problems and I like the combination

the first photo of each set is uncropped and no pp
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-24-2017, 04:46 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

As Aslyfox I have tried only with the SMC version.

I didn't test extensively, but concluded that there was no point using the TC on that lens.
- I couldn't tell the difference between images using the TC vs cropping (if anything, the cropped ones came out slightly better)
- Focusing felt decidedly more sluggish (with the K-3 )
- I can't remember the viewfinder being noticeably darker
- Metering was not a problem

IIRC I tested on a cloudy afternoon with less than optimal light. Plenty of light might have lead to a different conclusion, but I doubt it.

Using the TC on the DFA100 WR provides excellent results, though, so there's nothing wrong with the TC. I just don't use it with the 55-300.
10-24-2017, 05:32 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have experimented with my 1.4 with a lot of my lenses

I don't use it much however

10-24-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
Use of HD DA AF Rear Converter 1.4X AW
Just used my HD 55-300WR + 1.4 X WR HD on this past weekend. The 55-300 is superb and with the 1.4 X = 40% longer reach all else remains approx the same I think.
Couple of short end and long end examples.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-20-2017 at 04:24 PM.
10-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have used the 1.4 tc with 55-300, 100 macro and 50 1.8. With 55-300 less than stellar, everything works fine, images are nothing to write home about. With the 100 macro and 55 1.8 now that works great.!! The TC itself is quality glass, put it behind other quality glass. The 55-300 is lacking to begin with IMO. I have the DA*300 f4 on the way. We'll see about that combo.
10-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am considering purchasing a HD DA AF Rear Converter 1.4X AW to use with my K-3 camera and HD DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR lens.
Does anyone have experience of this combination and can comment on:

Image sharpness/degradation compared with using the lens only.
Reduction in viewfinder brightness (has this been a problem).
Autofocus performance.
Accuracy of the camera metering system.
Any adjustments to the camera settings required to optimise performance.
Any problems you have encountered using this combination.

Many thanks for your assistance.
Robert, should you decide to buy a da 1.4tc, you could look on the marketplace, I am putting my 1.4tc up for sale there tomorrow. You can also pm me of course. I have used the 1.4tc with my DA560, but ultimately, a very long f5.6 lens is not ideal with the tc. and I now use the lens bare and crop. So although in honesty, I could nit say that your lens would be very good with the tc, you might want to take a chance without paying the full price.

Chris

10-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Note there could be some focussing issues, See here>HD Pentax-DA AF Rear Converter 1.4x AW - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
10-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Note there could be some focussing issues, See here>HD Pentax-DA AF Rear Converter 1.4x AW - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
John,

Many thanks for the compatibility data sheet - it looks like the 55-300mm lens could have a focus compatibility issue with the K-3 phase shift AF system.

Kind regards,

Robert N
10-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Robert, should you decide to buy a da 1.4tc, you could look on the marketplace, I am putting my 1.4tc up for sale there tomorrow. You can also pm me of course. I have used the 1.4tc with my DA560, but ultimately, a very long f5.6 lens is not ideal with the tc. and I now use the lens bare and crop. So although in honesty, I could nit say that your lens would be very good with the tc, you might want to take a chance without paying the full price.

Chris
Chris,

Thanks for the offer. A reply from JohnX indicates the 55-300mm lens could have a focus compatibility issue with the K-3 phase shift AF system.
I may not go for the Teleconverter route.

Kind regards,

Robert N
10-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
I have used the 1.4 tc with 55-300, 100 macro and 50 1.8. With 55-300 less than stellar, everything works fine, images are nothing to write home about. With the 100 macro and 55 1.8 now that works great.!! The TC itself is quality glass, put it behind other quality glass. The 55-300 is lacking to begin with IMO. I have the DA*300 f4 on the way. We'll see about that combo.
Thanks for the reply - it looks like the 55-300mm lens could have a focus compatibility issue with the K-3 phase shift AF system - a reply from John X.

Kind regards,

Robert N

---------- Post added 10-24-17 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Just used my HD 55-300WR + 1.4 X WR HD on this past weekend. The 55-300 is superb and with the 1.4 X = 40% longer reach all else remains approx the same I think.
Thanks for the reply - I believe from John X the 55-300mm lens may have a focus compatibility issue with the K-3 phase shift AF system in some instances. I will give this due consideration.

Kind regards,

Robert N

---------- Post added 10-24-17 at 12:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
As Aslyfox I have tried only with the SMC version.

I didn't test extensively, but concluded that there was no point using the TC on that lens.
- I couldn't tell the difference between images using the TC vs cropping (if anything, the cropped ones came out slightly better)
- Focusing felt decidedly more sluggish (with the K-3 )
- I can't remember the viewfinder being noticeably darker
- Metering was not a problem

IIRC I tested on a cloudy afternoon with less than optimal light. Plenty of light might have lead to a different conclusion, but I doubt it.

Using the TC on the DFA100 WR provides excellent results, though, so there's nothing wrong with the TC. I just don't use it with the 55-300.
Thanks for the reply - your experience seems to comply with the reply from John X that the 55-300mm lens could have a focus compatibility issue with the K-3 phase shift AF system.
10-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the reply - your experience seems to comply with the reply from John X that the 55-300mm lens could have a focus compatibility issue with the K-3 phase shift AF system.
Yes, the phase detect is supposedly designed to work from f/8 and wider; f/5.8 + 1 stop is a bit norrower than that. It should work reasonably well in bright light, but don't expect great performance under anything but ideal conditions.

(The K-3 has no problems focusing with just the 55-300, though.)
10-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I used phase AF / Back AF for submitted samples and had no problem. Cautions give no frequency of problem? I use phase Back AF 99% of the time and have had no problem. Luck or is Problem infrequent?
12-22-2018, 02:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Honey Bo Bo, now that you have owned the HD55-300WR lens and 1.4xWR HD combination for a reasonable time, kindly advise how you find the performance comparison relating to image quality and AF speed with and without the converter. I am a great fan of the HD55-300WR lens - its performance is excellent for the price and the AF is quick with the K-3.
12-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like honey, I have not had any focus issues using the HD 55-300 WR, the HD 1.4X and my K-3 II. Back button AF does seem to be quicker using the 1.4X [I have no idea why] . I find the converter a useful addition to the 55-300 [up to 250mm, after that the IQ in my images does get noticeably worse] and my SMC A 50 F1.7.