Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The disadvantage of SDM

Today I took my daughter to her first day of school (ever) and so I took along the K20D and the 16-50. There was a gaggle of folks converging on the school, so I just took a few quick snaps, didn't even remove my glasses. The image was a little blurry, but I didn't stop to adjust the diopter for my glasses. I just pointed, got the focus point light (not focus confirmation - which is key), and shot. I wasn't focusing on photography, so I wasn't paying attention to the camera, but rather to my daughter.

When I got to the office and looked at the few shots I took, they were all badly out of focus. I checked the camera and yep, it was in manual focus! The blurry VF I chalked up to the diopter adjustment, and the lack of focus whir/noise I chalked up to the ultra-quiet SDM. The crappy photos I can now chalk up to my ineptitude!

Oh well, she's got 179 more days for me to get this shot. I guess I'll be taking the camera along again tomorrow, and I'll even check my settings this time.

08-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Forum Member

That's a bummer for you Russ, but a great tip for something to watch for. . . Glad you get more chances :-)

Peter
08-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #3

It happens to me sometimes that I accidentally move focus lever to MF position, it seems kinda easy to move it by slight touch of finger...
08-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Once I had my slider switch half way between AF and MF. Made my lens sound like a machine gun.