Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #1

Looking for advise for lens filters

Hi all,

I just entered SLR world, and I am mainly taking black and white photos. and according to my research (if I studied right) orange filter enhance the black and white photos.

so here is my question, which brand is well known for affordable filters? I know there is B+H, samyang, Benro, carl zeiss. but these are to expensive on my budget. I have K1000 with 35mm f2 lens (very beginner's setting), also I dont want to use those 4-10 bucks filters..

PS. I dont know this is right categories for this kind of questions, if not please let me know I will move it to right place.

10-25-2017, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello astronomer08,
Your comment: "orange filter enhance the black and white photos." Well, the answer there is maybe yes and maybe no.
You might want to consider this link : Using Coloured Filters in Black and White Photography | Photography Mad
As for the best compromise between quality and price, there will be many opinions, but it boils down to what works best for you.
10-25-2017, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Filters

I have quite a few filters made by Tiffen and Hoya and I've been very satisfied with them. I think those two brands provide a good level of quality for the price.
10-25-2017, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film era filters are cheap as chips on ebay used. Often with an old camera kit. I have a box full I've collected over the years at no cost since they came with something else I wanted. They might not be the best and newest but for a few dollars you can try and see if you like the effect. If you watch carefully for old camera kits sometimes you can get a complete filter set for a few dollars.

10-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shot a lifetime of B&W and swear by carrying two yellow filters - the lighter "yellow" one and the darker "yellow-orange" one. I'm not at home so I can't pull them out to remember details. I used mainly Nikon filters on Nikon at that time. I also used a red filter once in a very very long time and even a red/blue variable that could do purple. In my opinion what these yellow filters in particular did is pop the clouds by increasing contrast a bit. This could be a brilliant effect if that's what the photo needed.

If post processing - by scanning and printing rather than wet printing - you may not need to do much filter work since a lot of this can be done in the digital darkroom. If using your own darkroom some of this can also be done post negative also.
10-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by astronomer08 Quote
I just entered SLR world, and I am mainly taking black and white photos. and according to my research (if I studied right) orange filter enhance the black and white photos.

so here is my question, which brand is well known for affordable filters?
First you'll want to look at the size of your lens cap. On the inside it will say the diameter of the lens and the cap, and will be the size of filter you'll need.

In terms of price and value, it's hard to beat Tiffen filters. Hoya is the next step up as most of their filters are multi-coated which improves the optics.

For most B&W film emulsions, a yellow filter creates the most accurate tonal rendition and contrast. Orange is a bit more contrasty and red is the highest with blue skies turning black and Caucasian skin tones becoming a whiter shade of pale. For the most natural portraits and flesh tone, light green is effective. My favorite overall filter, however, is a polarizer. With the K1000, you can get a less expensive linear polarizer (vs. the more expensive circular type). The polarizer will help reduce glare and can also be used with color film without altering the color balance.
10-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
. . . red is the highest with blue skies turning black and Caucasian skin tones becoming a whiter shade of pale. . . .
It also makes light fandangos extremely hard to see.

10-26-2017, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
It also makes light fandangos extremely hard to see.
My ex was the Chief Make Up Artist on the set of a movie called Beast Master II where I met actress Sarah Douglas who told me that Keith Reid of Procol Harum wrote that song about her. Sarah certainly was a whiter shade of pale. Yes, the light fandango were so hard to see, you could skip them.

OP: Unlike digital, film does benefit from UV filters. Back in the day, you would only have an abundance of UV light at high altitudes, but nowadays with less ozone, UV is problematic even at sea level. Without it, your blue skies which should be some mid-gray turns out a lighter shade of gray.
10-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The simple rule of thumb: a colored B&W filter DARKENS THE OPPOSITE COLOR. For example: warm filters (yellow, orange, red) darken cold colors (blue, violet, purple).
Yellow, orange, red were very commonly used to darken blue skies to make clouds stand out in contrast, with yellow giving a minimal "natural" look and red giving very dramatic, deep black sky with brilliant white clouds, but sometimes looking too manipulated. Warm filters were also used to "penetrate" distant haze, but what they really did was increase contrast somewhat for distant elements (modestly effective). Green filters, far less commonly used, will brighten/lighten green foliage but not as much as going to IR (= using IR sensitive film).
10-26-2017, 05:05 AM   #10
Forum Member

My ex was the Chief Make Up Artist on the set of a movie called Beast Master II where I met actress Sarah Douglas who told me that Keith Reid of Procol Harum wrote that song about her. Sarah certainly was a whiter shade of pale. Yes, the light fandango were so hard to see, you could skip them.

OP: Unlike digital, film does benefit from UV filters. Back in the day, you would only have an abundance of UV light at high altitudes, but nowadays with less ozone, UV is problematic even at sea level. Without it, your blue skies which should be some mid-gray turns out a lighter shade of gray.
Not just a lighter shade of pale then......

Someone had to say it. I'll get my coat :-)
10-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a link to a bunch of filters I am trying to get rid of. Make me an offer.

Filters, Filters, Filters - Three more added. - PentaxForums.com
10-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by astronomer08 Quote
so here is my question, which brand is well known for affordable filters?
Pentax used to make coloured filters (yellow, orange, green & red) for b+w photography. They came in two types SMC and regular single coated, the SMC version is preferred and has the same coatings as Pentax lenses.

These filters came in popular filter thread sizes of Pentax lenses, 49mm, 52mm, 58mm, 67mm & 77mm. There were also Pentax 6x7 bayonet versions, that will only work on some Pentax 6x7 lenses.

These Pentax filters are easy to find on the used market and you can also still find NOS sometimes. Highly recommended.

Phil.
10-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW: If you just want to experiment before dishing out a lot of $$ for filters 1) look for batches of used filters on EBAY 2) try www,adapterrings.com , by far the best source for inexpensive new filters, and the filters are sometime B&W, Hoya, Tiffen or other respected brands.
10-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

In terms of price and value, it's hard to beat Tiffen filters. Hoya is the next step up as most of their filters are multi-coated which improves the optics.
I agree, I have found Tiffen filters the best quality for the reasonable cost. I do not use many, only digital ultra clear, circular polarizer and sometimes a #812 which will reduce the bluish haze prevalent in many places during hot summer months. Digital does not need filters as much as film did.