Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Handholding K-1 with D-FA 70-200 or strap?

I've just picked up the D-FA zoom and 'experienced' its heft. In the few shots that I've taken so far, I've handheld the camera and lens, supported with an Optech neck strap. I'm concerned that the lens may be too heavy for the lens mount of my K-1 so I'd like to know how best to avoid damaging either of these in use.

I've seen lens straps before but I'm confused by what I would do with my camera neck strap if I chose to hook the lens up.

If anyone has advice or experience then please feel free to comment. Thank you!

10-25-2017, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Get a monopod?

I use one routinely when shoooting with my Sigma 70-200 and other hefty glass. I have two - the compact Manfrotto MMC3, which I use most often, and a taller no-name one when need more height.
10-25-2017, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
what I would do with my camera neck strap if I chose to hook the lens up?
If you screw the shoulder strap to the lens collar, you don't use the camera strap.

I'm concerned that the lens may be too heavy for the lens mount of my K-1
Yes but the K1 is not too heavy for the lens.
10-25-2017, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens won’t pull the mount out of the camera using a neck strap or handheld shooting with two hands, but you might pull joints out of alignment if you hand hold and carry on your neck all day

Seriously, the issue isn’t the mount, it’s stability and fatigue.

10-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #5

Hand hold K1 and DA-F 70-200

I modified a Manfrotto tripod mounting plate to take the peak design buttons. Two small holes drilled in either back corner of the tripod mounting plate. I move the strap from the camera to the lens foot tripod mounting plate when working with the D-FA 70-200. I carry it on my side as the gentleman above shows. I rest the lens foot in the palm of the left hand. My fingers and thumb can work the zoom. Camera in my right hand. Many magical shots hand held with the setup.
10-25-2017, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I use a Black Rapid strap attached to the lens foot. It's no problem at all, apart from the camera strap attached to the lugs being annoying. I wind it around the lens foot and secure it with a rubber band to keep it out of the way.
10-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have gone on longish trail runs with the DFA*70-200. Yeah, I know it's crazy

I use a BlackRapid shoulder sling and run with the lens supported in one hand, taking probably half the weight. If I do it again I will try screwing the sling into the tripod foot of the lens, and the safety leash to the left neckstrap lug of the body, much like Michaelina2 illustrated.

10-26-2017, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The best solution for heavier lenses (anything with a foot, really) is to use a modular strap (Op/tech, Peak Design, etc) with anchor points on the lens foot (via an adequate tripot plate). Attach the strap to the lens itself, not the camera, in those situations.
10-27-2017, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I think others are trying to describe similar approaches but I'll try to spell out what I'm thinking:

Use shoulder strap such as blackrapid or similar. These normally attach with an quick-release to a d-ring that screws into to a tripod socket.

You can attach one d-ring to the camera body and another second d-ring to your lens-mounted-foot's socket.

When a light lens is attached, fix the strap to the body's d-ring. When the heavy lens is attached, move the strap to the lens foot d-ring.

Perhaps forgo the traditional body neck-strap, or switch to one with quick-release fittings.
10-30-2017, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Pentax would have extra d-rings on the lens in case they were needed :-)
I typically prefer to put the strap around my wrist and put a hand around the lens for carrying, stow it away for longer walks, or place just keep it on the strap and support it under my arm... It works and it is heavy.
My 600 has d-rings that I never use - it requires too hands or some other support.
10-30-2017, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shoulder strap's the way to go, Haris. Necks already have an important job to do, supporting our heads.

10-30-2017, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

for what it is worth

I use an Optech USA Utility sling which attaches with a quick release to the upper right attachment point of the camera body. [ I don't have a K 1, just a K 3 and a K 5 II ]

the camera and lens hangs across my body toward my hip.

it has a female quick release attachment point on the sling which isn't commonly used. I plan on attaching an accessory quick release Optech connecting strap from the foot of the D FA * 70 - 200 mm 2.8 or D FA 150 - 450mm to that attachment point, so the lens is attached to the camera body and also directly to the Optech USA Utility strap

I also have a Joby Ultrafit hand grip and ultra plate attached as well. it attaches to the upper right attachment point as well and screws into the tripod mount. It allows me to put a tripod or monopod on the camera body without having to remove the utlraplate.

so the camera and lens can be supported by the sling, the sling plus the joby hand grip or the hand grip alone.

I often carry it cross body or resting on a shoulder to give some relief and variety.
10-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses guys, I'm keen to try the different methods out. I don't think the beast will be hanging off of my neck so I'll have to use my Optech strap over my shoulder for the near future.

I've also gathered from the responses that the lens and camera aren't in any immediate danger from using the straps without attaching to the lens tripod foot, but I'll still explore ways to reduce the load on the lens mount. Thanks again!
11-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have another question..

Can I attach one of the Optech connectors to a Manfrotto quick release plate attached to my lens? There's a little metal loop that is found at the bottom of the Manfrotto QR plates used to torque the tripod mount screw. Would this be an ideal place to loop one of my connectors so that my lens and my camera are both supported by my shoulder strap?

Thank you!
11-02-2017, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have another question..

Can I attach one of the Optech connectors to a Manfrotto quick release plate attached to my lens? There's a little metal loop that is found at the bottom of the Manfrotto QR plates used to torque the tripod mount screw. Would this be an ideal place to loop one of my connectors so that my lens and my camera are both supported by my shoulder strap?

Thank you!
I would call OpTech and ask them:

Phone:
406-388-1377

or use email

Email:
info@optechusa.com

I found them quite eager to answer questions. They will do the best they can and of course suggest options using their products but who can blame them?