Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Samyang 24mm F1.4 V DFA 24-70 at 24mm

Anyone care to comment on how the Samyang compares with the DFA 24-70. I'd like to switch to a prime only for K-1 and am looking for a 24mm option. Yes I know it's a prime v zoom question, but bare with me ...

As far as carrying, they are in the same ball park in weight and size, ie too big - if only there was an in-production small(ish), quality, slow wide-angle...

The Samyang is manual focus, maybe not a problem at wider apertures with big dof, but I've found manual focusing, wide angle lenses at large apertures a bit hit and miss. Yes I can use LV, but I've never got to like it - AF and manual, via OVF is my preferred choice. Guess I'm thinking focusing will be fine - I work slow anyway.

Not WR. That's not a problem, coz if it's damp, foggy, I'll not be using my other primes anyway. I'll use the 24-70 ...

So it comes down to IQ, both across-frame sharpness, contrast, aberrations etc. I'm not bothered about comparing below, say f 5.6, so it should be good. However. it would need to be a step up from 24-70 in IQ, which a prime should be, as I'm constantly disappointed from the shots I take with the 24-70 at the edges.

Does the Samyang still have significant build variations ?

Thoughts please ...

10-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The biggest differences come down to Samyang being Manual focus only and having f1.4 aperture (and low coma, so its great for astrophoto). If you don't need fast aperture, if you need AF, go with the Pentax.
That said, I have APSC camera so I went with DA 21mm, M 28mm and other primes. When I was contemplating the Samyang 24mm I went with the 14mm instead. Copy variation was a problem with Samyang, but if you buy new now you most likely won't have a problem. But Id still recommend to get Samyang with warranty so you can replace it if you get a decentered lens.
In terms of sharpness alone, I doubt either lens will disappoint you. They both seem great according to reviews and user reports. I would look at user error and using correct aperture for DoF. Zoom lenses tend to have very curved DoF, so the edges might be OoF even if centre is in focus. I use primes instead of zooms, though modern zoom lenses are so sharp there is less and less difference
10-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The biggest differences come down to Samyang being Manual focus only and having f1.4 aperture (and low coma, so its great for astrophoto). If you don't need fast aperture, if you need AF, go with the Pentax.
That said, I have APSC camera so I went with DA 21mm, M 28mm and other primes. When I was contemplating the Samyang 24mm I went with the 14mm instead. Copy variation was a problem with Samyang, but if you buy new now you most likely won't have a problem. But Id still recommend to get Samyang with warranty so you can replace it if you get a decentered lens.
In terms of sharpness alone, I doubt either lens will disappoint you. They both seem great according to reviews and user reports. I would look at user error and using correct aperture for DoF. Zoom lenses tend to have very curved DoF, so the edges might be OoF even if centre is in focus. I use primes instead of zooms, though modern zoom lenses are so sharp there is less and less difference
Thanks Na for responding/helping ...

Yes, I know about field curvature and assumed this was the issue with the 24-70, however, I haven't bothered to work out how far it extends - I probably should. Does it curve in out ? Is it consistent up/down the focal length range ? Does it vary with distance from the camera? Is it a curve or a wave ? Whatever, it is it's not that convenient for the work I do. I know it came be considered 'creative', but for me it's a pain. I much prefer a flat plane, like the macro lenses give. (Having said that I did learn to like the 16-50, eventually, but it was very frustrating at times). At f8, f11 field curvature ,when focused some distance from the camera isn't a issue, which is normally OK, but if I drop down to f5.6 it becomes more noticeable.

I appreciate aspects like field curvature becomes more of a problem with wide/ultra wide, especially on FFs, but I don't enjoy working with the 24-70, because it's so unpredictable. Maybe I could learn to like it like the 16-50 grew on me, but I don't want so many failures to get what I want because I'm never going to be sure how the edges, compared with the centre, are going to behave. Thus back to the Samyang ... How does this perform, in real life, in comparison. Reading charts only ever gives an indication in my experience as lenses do vary, sometimes considerably, from the single sample reviews we read. Obviously, anything here is also going to be subjective, but it all helps ...

Thanks again ...
10-29-2017, 02:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I can't compare them as I only have the 24 samyang, but the only drawback is the manual focusing at it's hard to nail focus wide open (if you focus optically).

Other than that I'm very happy with my copy. With a tripod and focusing using live view and zoomed in the sharpness is VERY good and even across the whole frame (K-1) and you don't have to stop down all the way to 5,6 to get that. It's razor sharp already at 2.8, and I'm a pixel-peeper. The da21 limited on a K-5 is really bad in comparison as far as sharpness goes, at least my copy was useless at the edges.

Flare can be a problem though with strong lights.