Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I wouldn't worry about this ["zoom feel" stiffness]. The weather sealing of the lens/camera combo, plus some internal friction in the lens, mean it is indeed somewhat stiff, but it works just fine nonetheless.

Understood, and I've pretty much gotten used to it (or at least gotten over fretting about it) by now. [It is indeed helpful to know that my lens is not unusual in this regard.]

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Except if you have strong reasons to suspect a problem, I would not test for this [decentering]. No lens is perfect and you WILL find problems if you look for them, but that doesn't mean the lens is bad. Just that nothing is perfect.

I have not done extensive shooting with the lens just yet, but I cannot see any evidence of any noticeable decentering, so I am satisfied at this point.

10-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks !!!

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed comments to this thread -- I will finally just enjoy the lens instead of fretting about it -- I will get to love the lens for all of its qualities, all of its personality, including its quirks.
11-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Thanks for your comments.

The "zoom feel" on mine has changed a bit after some use, becoming less objectionable now. So, it is better, and it also helps to know that it might be "normal" or "par for the course". And, my lens does seem to be optically quite good, so it's likely to be a "keeper".

As for the hood, yes, I'm already used to it (helped out by the fact that the 16-85 is the only lens I've used lately) -- perhaps I was just too picky.
You aren’t being picky. When you spend that kind of money on the 16-85 I don’t consider it picky but rather expecting good quality equipment to live up to a high standard.