Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you are now a newcomer to photography, like I was a few years ago, it is the kind of things that you don't get by reading the typical DxO lens score or the typical technical review. They focus on resolution. What you see in 100% crop or when you print 60" and stare at the photo from near distance. It true that some test AF. But they almost never really test the contrast, the flare, how much the subject in focus pop and their resolution testing is in the studio. They don't double check how the lens perform at infinite on distant background for example. And honestly a bit more or bit less resolution doesn't change anything. But theses aspects, they are directly visible.
I pretty much agree with this, as it matches my own experience with the DA 17-70. The lens suffers from a subtle veiling flare in bright light, which prevents it from producing as contrasty images as the DA 16-85 or the limiteds. However, in shaded light, it does much better. I can remember looking at some images I had taken of a redwood forest draped in fog. The images were so rich and contrasty, I thought they had been taken with my DA 15. Turns out they were taken with the DA 17-70.

10-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I never heard that common wisdom. My use of zoom lenses is because I'm trying to fill the frame with the subject and I can't move about in theater or an event or don't have the time to do so. They enable my work.

I am certain that "one may get as much satisfaction or more shooting with primes than with a zoom". Pardon.
I agree. When you need what a quality zoom lens can do, then you need a quality zoom lens. When you need what a high-quality prime lens can do, that is what you use. There are good reasons why all these lenses are made and are sold. Only part of that is the price factor. The rest is the need and use factor.

Posing a question of a good zoom lens vs. a group of fine prime lenses is impossible to answer meaningfully without including the purpose of intended use.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-31-2017 at 09:57 PM.
11-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

i recently acquired da 17 70 because it was available fairly cheap.
to be honest i like it's overall rendition & its colors.
I'm a bit disappointed on the sharpness.
Attached is a photo i took this summer at f8.
France - christophe gryspeert
i think i wouldn't even rate it much higher than the 18 55 kitlens. see below 2 shots made long ago.
But it is more constant than the kitlens, with less issues like vignetting and distortion.
Egypt - christophe gryspeert
Botswana - christophe gryspeert
And i'd certainly wouldn't put it against the da 12 24
Belgium - christophe gryspeert

Ofcourse likely i am spoiled by the sharpness of my da15, 12 24 & fa31 :-)
And i might have a very sharp copy of the kitlens.
my thoughts..
11-21-2018, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

The DA 12-24mm is one of the best of zoom lenses from my own experience. But is not WR. However, for high quality wide angle imaging, it is a great lens. As an alternative to the DA 17-70mm, I would opt for its replacement, the DA 16-85mm DC WR, which is a very good zoom lens if you get a good copy. There have been some issues regarding this, far less so with the DA 18-135mm, which I have and find very satisfying.

As I said before, it is difficult to find a zoom lens that can deliver everything a fine prime lens can, although the DA 12-24mm is in the running, while there are absolutely no primes that can give you instant change of framing. Yet no zoom lens can quite get down to the compactness and the aperture availability of some fine primes. None of the Limited primes are WR. The DA 20-40mm Limited zoom lens gets close to quality primes, and does incorporate WR. It is one of my favorites. It works well in a kit including the DA 15mm LTD.

11-22-2018, 01:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The DA 20-40mm Limited zoom lens gets close to quality primes, and does incorporate WR. It is one of my favorites. It works well in a kit including the DA 15mm LTD.
I never quite understood the appeal of the da 20-40.
It is such a short range. I recall the 16-45, not wr.., which i loved and actually found sharper than the da17 70. I also noticed that slight lack of sharpness in the pictures in the review of Northcoastgreg. although sharpness is not everything.

Thing is, i like a zoom for travel. this is where zooms truly come in handy. at least for me.
I like to do long exposure.
K3 and da 17 70 is a tad heavy and unbalanced on my small travel tripod. 16-85 does not do better in that department i think.
indeed, i might feel otherwise about the combo da15 & da 20 40 when i'd spend a day or two with it ..
11-22-2018, 02:02 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The DA 20-40mm Limited zoom lens gets close to quality primes, and does incorporate WR. It is one of my favorites. It works well in a kit including the DA 15mm LTD.
+1. The 15, 20-40 and DA 55-300 PLM would be a viable round-the-world kit, maybe throwing in a fast-ish compact prime (e.g. FA 43 Ltd, DA 50, DA 70 Ltd) for portraits and subject isolation and for low-light. Compact flash (I'm loving the Godox TT350P), mini-tripod (e.g. Gorillapod), mini diffuser and you are done.
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I never quite understood the appeal of the da 20-40.
Think of it as a 20mm f2.8 Ltd, with a 40mm f4 Ltd and 19 other focal lengths thrown in, altogether weighing 283g. And HD, WR and Ltd build quality.

Last edited by Des; 11-24-2018 at 03:31 PM.
11-25-2018, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Think of it as a 20mm f2.8 Ltd, with a 40mm f4 Ltd and 19 other focal lengths thrown in, altogether weighing 283g. And HD, WR and Ltd build quality.
Yes, that is what i call sharp. Looking at your second pictures. I always enjoy wider, environmental shots..

02-01-2019, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

just wanted to share some images made in mexico with the da17 70.
Actually quite a pleasing lens, with the nicest characteristic being the rendering, imo. It handles flare pretty well, but not in the league of da15.
Mexico - christophe gryspeert
It's nicely sharp but unlike fa31 or da12 24 for that matter.
looking at the focal lenghts i used on this trip, maybe i should have taken the da 12 24 with me.
But it's handy to have that flexibility to zoom further even if only occasionally.

The 16 85 is probably a good replacement for this lens, but i always find it hard to judge a lens if i have not used it myself..
just some thoughts..