Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2017, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Grosvenor Quote
Low light and preference for two legged zoom is why I went with old prime glass for myself, yet daughter prefers the zoom route.

Other than the obvious, that zooms take in less light, is there more to the 'low light' disadvantage to the DAL 18-55?
The solution to that is the 40 XS 2.8 or 50 1.8 or 35 2.4. Fairly low cost lenses that give you the low light capability the kit doesn't. For low light the 50 1.8 is a steal.

Slow lenses do affect auti-focus, but the kit lens is pretty good in that regard. It's wide enough the DoF will cover for slightly inaccurate focusing in most situations.

When hiking, zooming with your feet is not always the best idea.

Last edited by normhead; 10-31-2017 at 08:52 AM.
10-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The solution to that is the 40 XS 2.8 or 50 1.8 or 35 2.4. Fairly low cost lenses that give you the low light capability the kit doesn't. For low light the 50 1.8 is a steal.

Slow lenses do affect auti-focus, but the kit lens is pretty good in that regard. It's wide enough the DoF will cover for slightly inaccurate focusing in most situations.

I can put a positive vote for the da 40mm XS 2.8 and the da 50 mm 1.8

I have both and I like them a lot
10-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've accumulated a half dozen 18-55 of various builds
every one is an excellent lens

a couple of them actually produce better images than the two 18-135s I have
10-31-2017, 08:56 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I've accumulated a half dozen 18-55 of various builds
every one is an excellent lens

a couple of them actually produce better images than the two 18-135s I have
Sample variation is a cruel mistress.
A grood copy of a "bad": lens, may be better than a bad copy of a good lens.

The DA 18-135 was designed to be slightly better than the kit lens, the problem being that the "slightly" means sample variation has the ability to mess you up.

10-31-2017, 09:08 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Grosvenor Quote
Other than the obvious, that zooms take in less light, is there more to the 'low light' disadvantage to the DAL 18-55?
These days you can clock up the ISO without much problem - if you can see it through the viewfinder then you can usually take a shot of it, even with the 'slow' DA18-55

10-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It isn't that bad. It is limited. Low light actions shots need not apply unless you are willing to crank ISO super high. Flare may be an issue shooting directly into the sun. It can be noisy. It may not have that 3d pop that people talk about "pixie dust".

But at the risk of beating a dead horse - read this article for a perspective on bad vs. excellent glass:
Nikon's 'Worst' and 'Best' Zoom Lenses Compared

It is Nikon centric but the sentiment is universal. Bad pictures mostly come from exceeding the envelop that the lens works well in - or a bad photographic choice.

---------- Post added 10-31-17 at 12:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
These days you can clock up the ISO without much problem - if you can see it through the viewfinder then you can usually take a shot of it, even with the 'slow' DA18-55

Sadly no exif data on exposure - what ISO was that taken at and what f/stop & shutter speed? Was it post processed for noise?
What focal length also?
10-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The right answer comes down to personal needs and what you are willing to spend. The Pentax 18-55 WR is the best value if you need the weather resistance, and are willing to stop down to f/7.1 or more (assuming a good copy). If you need speed (extra light gathering in dim conditions), the Tamron is excellent by f/4, but has a reputation as having less than solid build. I'd be least enthusiastic about the Sigma, but if the slightly extra reach is important to you - worth considering.
10-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
. . . When hiking, zooming with your feet is not always the best idea. . .

that depends on your ability to multitask and your sense of all the circumstances around you

and keeping both eyes open instead of shutting the left eye

getting lost in the view finder may not be the best idea.

10-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sadly no exif data on exposure - what ISO was that taken at and what f/stop & shutter speed? Was it post processed for noise? What focal length also?
Click on forum picture which will open up the Flickr image. Move your mouse to bottom right corner and click on the two arrows symbol overlay. This will take you to the Flickr photo page. Read exposure etc. settings off your screen (scroll down a bit), or click on the 'Show EXIF'.

Since it was taken in Dec 2014, it was probably processed with SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro 6.

Judging from my other shots taken at about the same time, it was a cold, wet and dark miserable December afternoon - an ideal time for an outing with the DA18-55 WR.

Last edited by kh1234567890; 10-31-2017 at 04:21 PM.
11-01-2017, 02:44 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
Best lens for all-around night photography?

Which lens would be better at this -- the DA 35mm/f2.4, the DA 40mm XS, or my trusty 18-55mm/f3.5-5.6 kit lens?
Right now, I can only afford to buy one prime lens for all-around night photography (street/landscape/skyline). I understand that the DA 35mm/f2.4 is the generally recommended "start-up" prime, but since I own a K-01, I also get the appeal of having as unobtrusive a camera as possible.

Thanks very much!
11-01-2017, 03:09 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jomar Quote
Which lens would be better at this -- the DA 35mm/f2.4, the DA 40mm XS, or my trusty 18-55mm/f3.5-5.6 kit lens?
Right now, I can only afford to buy one prime lens for all-around night photography (street/landscape/skyline). I understand that the DA 35mm/f2.4 is the generally recommended "start-up" prime, but since I own a K-01, I also get the appeal of having as unobtrusive a camera as possible.

Thanks very much!
Don't worry about that, the 35 is small.

The 40 is even smaller, like a lens cap.

11-01-2017, 03:24 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks very much!
have you found one of the most useful part of the forum

under " Lenses " above you will find reviews of the Pentax lenses and various third party lenses

here is a link to the DA 35 mm f 2.8 macro in depth review

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-35mm-f28-macro/review.html?src=lrdb

and this links to the in depth review of the DA 40mm XS 2.8 which includes comparisons to the 35 mm and the 40mm limited

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited

In the digital era, at least for Pentax, the definition of "normal" in terms of focal length had to change to fit the 1.5x crop factor of the company’s APS-C dSLRs. With the field of view cropped, a 28mm lens gets you close to the ideal 43mm "normal" range, and a 35mm lens effectively puts you just on the far side of the 50mm mark. Finally, a 40mm lens gives you roughly the same FOV as a 60mm lens on a film, which isn’t too far off from the 58mm primes of yore.

Today, Pentax makes at least six lenses that cover this spectrum, including illustrious members of the DA Limited and FA Limited lines as well as cheaper un-Limited DA and FA primes. In this review, we will compare three of these—the DA 35/2.4, DA 40/2.8 Limited, and DA 40/2.8 XS—to see which lens excels for what purpose, and which is the best overall value as a normal prime. Read on for our Pentax normal lens shootout!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/introd...#ixzz4xAtnphZQ

I own the 40mm XS and I like it a lot although I have yet to try it out at night

both of the 40mm are F2.8 and the 35mm AL is 2.4

BTW under " Cameras " above you will find similar reviews

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-01-2017 at 03:34 AM.
11-01-2017, 03:59 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 50 1.8, out of those options, would be the best at low light photography. It's also an "almost telephoto" lens on a crop body like your K-01. The DA 35 2.4 is going to be more versatile, in my opinion, due to its wider field of view. It's not as good at grabbing light but it's not too far off. You can shoot that lens at f2.4 and it will perform quite well. Honestly a lot of my shots are taken at f2.4 with that lens. It's also extremely light and should balance just find on your K-01.
11-01-2017, 05:47 AM   #44

@clackers, thanks for the advice! Do you know if there are third-party lens caps/lens hoods that would go with the DA 40mm XS?
@Aslyfox, yep I did read the in-depth reviews you pointed out, thanks for the tip!
@pres589, thanks for your suggestion about the DA 50mm/f1.8, I hadn't considered it at all before!

Do you guys know if the DA 50mm/f1.8 and the DA 40mm XS have been compared against each other already?

Again, thank you very much!
11-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@clackers, thanks for the advice! Do you know if there are third-party lens caps/lens hoods that would go with the DA 40mm XS?
@Aslyfox, yep I did read the in-depth reviews you pointed out, thanks for the tip!
@pres589, thanks for your suggestion about the DA 50mm/f1.8, I hadn't considered it at all before!

Do you guys know if the DA 50mm/f1.8 and the DA 40mm XS have been compared against each other already?

Again, thank you very much!
you will have to read the reviews of each and do your own comparison, I know of no " head to head "

this in depth review compares 3 Pentax 50 mm lenses:

Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

" What’s so nifty about a fifty millimeter lens? Recently digital camera makers have begun to release 50mm lenses, Canon, Nikon and now Pentax have allreleased a new prime 50mm lens. There are number of reason why this renewed interest in what was consider a “normal lens” for 35mm but for most digital cameras is a short telephoto. First, 50mm lenses are usually at least two stops faster than most reasonably priced zoom lenses on the market. Second, the 50mm focal length has long been used on 35mm cameras for decades and enjoys some of the best utilized and corrected optical designs. Generally 50mm lenses are often the sharpest optics in the manufacturer's line. Third, most 50mm are very reasonable priced and are a great entry point to obtain a prime lens. Because of the APS-C sensor size a 50mm lens has a field of view of a short tele - it corresponds toa 75mm lens on a 24 x 36 mm (aka full-frame) camera.

Currently Pentax makes three different 50mm lenses: the SMC Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro, and DA 50mm F1.8. All three can be used on digital cameras and the first two are considered full-frame lenses. Although the DA 50mm is marketed as an APS-C-only lens, some speculate that it may also work on full-frame (i.e. film) cameras. There is thread concerning this issue on our forum, but until the issue is finally put to rest we will have to take the position that the lens is to be used only on APS-C digital cameras and is not full-frame compatible. . . .