Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #16
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Grosvenor Quote
I read a very insightful commentary recently regarding how it has reached the point in lens development that there are very few really bad lenses. Yes some are exceptional in the right hands, but that under most circumstances are not most lenses able to yield respectable pictures?
You already ready got some sound advice. Let me share another "side of the coin".

The quality of the photographs has a lot to do with the photographer, that is the human being behind the camera, rather than the hardware. Everyone agrees but ..... I am not a professional photographer, but I use photography both for work and pleasure. When do I see some difference between lenses?

In practice, mostly in terms of the percentage of "keepers". High IQ lenses (often the more expensive ones) tend to give me a higher rate of photographs that I want to keep. I often found myself in situations when I have a to take photographs over a short period of time, under pressure or in rush. In such situations, I value a "good lens" because of the greater chance to be happy with the shots. A different situation is colour rendering. I found that I prefer some lenses over others because of the colour rendering. For example, I love the FA77 Ltd for portrait, because the shots please me more than any other lens.

To sum up, the situation is not black and white. But some lenses will fit your needs better, particularly in terms of "keeper rate".

My 5 cents....

10-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the first DA version, it was a fine lens to start with and great value for that purpose. Have you considered one of the DA versions of the 18-55 and not the DA L? I'm a fan of quick shift, it just makes it nicer to use (ymmv). I'd take quick-shift over WR if choosing an older model made the price more attractive.

Being so light, you can also get good mileage out of compact travel tripods. Assuming suitably slow moving subjects, this also goes a long way to getting the most out of the lens.
10-30-2017, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

The DA18-55 is a great lens to start off with.
10-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I had the first DA version, it was a fine lens to start with and great value for that purpose. Have you considered one of the DA versions of the 18-55 and not the DA L? I'm a fan of quick shift, it just makes it nicer to use (ymmv). I'd take quick-shift over WR if choosing an older model made the price more attractive.

Being so light, you can also get good mileage out of compact travel tripods. Assuming suitably slow moving subjects, this also goes a long way to getting the most out of the lens.
The WR is a big draw to the lens for my daughter as she is into outdoor photography. However I completely agree that for me quick shift would be nice to have.

How difficult is manual focus override on Pentax cameras on lenses which don't have quick shift?

10-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think Pentaxians can be very proud of the 18-55 and 28-105 kit lenses for APS-C and FF.
10-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #21
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

How difficult is manual focus override on Pentax cameras on lenses which don't have quick shift?
it takes next to nothing to flip the focus switch on the camera body (K-50 or K-3)...
10-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 18-55 and a DA 50 1.8 would be my recommendation. Learning how to zoom with feet, use a faster aperture, that's good stuff for a new photog.

10-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Flip of a switch, and for me a swear word at my lens for not having quick shift. Quick shift is teh besto with back button focus, you can flop back and forth between autofocus or manual focus with zero effort (though I'm not positive a k50 can be set up this way?). I'd have no hesitation picking it over WR if it was a choice between the two. My non-WR DA18-55mm went through a number of snow falls and light rains while attached to a non-WR k100d, so WR is not something I'm too fussy on. Others may will disagree though.

However, this one has both and unless it's too much $$$ you don't have to wrestle with the decision SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database, possibly affordable used? I don't really know what it goes for

Last edited by BrianR; 10-30-2017 at 07:07 PM.
10-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Flip of a switch, and for me a swear word at my lens for not having quick shift. Quick shift is teh besto with back button focus, you can flop back and forth between autofocus or manual focus with zero effort (though I'm not positive a k50 can be set up this way?). I'd have no hesitation picking it over WR if it was a choice between the two. My non-WR DA18-55mm went through a number of snow falls and light rains while attached to a non-WR k100d, so WR is not something I'm too fussy on. Others may disagree though.

However, this one has both and unless it's too much $$$ you don't have to wrestle with the decision SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database, possibly affordable used? I don't really know what it goes for
Once you get used to quick shift, the AF.MF switch is way too slow and confusing. But for a hiker, WR is peace of mind.
10-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being reminded that the DA-L 18-55 WR is a Quick Shift lens is always a surprise.

For $200 USD on the evil bay, you could come away with a good condition 18-55 WR and a DA 50 1.8. How can you say no?

Last edited by pres589; 10-31-2017 at 06:06 AM.
10-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Once you get used to quick shift, the AF.MF switch is way too slow and confusing. But for a hiker, WR is peace of mind.
I edited my post above.

If we can all get in a big debate over the merits of QS and WR he may just spring for the 18-55 that has both to shut us up.
10-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing no-one has mentioned so far is that the differences between lenses are generally more obvious at wide apertures and in low light. Steve if your daughter will mostly shoot at f6.3 or f8 the kit lens will be quite adequate. As people have suggested for low light conditions (or subject separation or special occasions) maybe a cheap prime (e.g plastic fantastic or one of the many good 50s).
10-31-2017, 04:44 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
One thing no-one has mentioned so far is that the differences between lenses are generally more obvious at wide apertures and in low light. Steve if your daughter will mostly shoot at f6.3 or f8 the kit lens will be quite adequate. As people have suggested for low light conditions (or subject separation or special occasions) maybe a cheap prime (e.g plastic fantastic or one of the many good 50s).
Thanks

I went with old prime glass, as I am also getting back into photography and like MF. As her skills advance I will try to convince her of the power of the prime for certain shots.
10-31-2017, 05:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
One thing no-one has mentioned so far is that the differences between lenses are generally more obvious at wide apertures and in low light.
Yes, that and the 1st generation DA 18~55 zooms here are probe to disconcerting "flare" when used into the sun.

I did this comparison in 2013 on same camera with one of the 18~55 lenses here and the much older SMC Pentax -M 1:2 50mm
18~55
https://app.box.com/s/xnir6j5sp99sdf05g6vs

1:2 50mm
https://app.box.com/s/izcv2q8akxhdh1ajxwuk
10-31-2017, 08:18 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Low light and preference for two legged zoom is why I went with old prime glass for myself, yet daughter prefers the zoom route.

Other than the obvious, that zooms take in less light, is there more to the 'low light' disadvantage to the DAL 18-55?