Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2017, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #1

DA 55-300 vs 55-300 PLM

I presently use a Pentax K5 with a Pentax DA 55-300 . The camera still works great, take excellent pictures and is like an old friend to me. I have had the camera and lens combo for six years and it is now over the exposure count. I intend to use it as a back up ( along with a KR ), and invest in a Pentax K70 with the new 55-300 PLM. My question is the clarity on the new zoom at full out 300mm . Is it comperable to the old DA lens or not. Have heard at full 300, is not to sharp, and have seen some photo examples that I was not to impressed with. ( I know the PLM will not partner up with the K5 & KR...what a shame )

At 6.3 wide open aperature is it worth putting the 1.4 extender on? I am only interested in wildlife ( odd landscape photo ) & it has to be very portable

I have been away from this forum due to ongoing health issues. Good to be in the out of doors and not in a hospital bed.

Thanks

John

10-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even if the PLM lens is a little softer at 300mm, in practice it's a moot point because the infinitely faster autofocus will make up for it I think you'll be really happy with the new combo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam
AS long as it is the same or better with clarity, I know the auto focus and lack of noise will be a real bonus. Looking forward to it. Amazon have the K70 for $689 Canadian ( fairly good price ). Are thee any know reliability issues with the K70, or is it to soon to realize.

John
10-31-2017, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John A. Quote
and invest in a Pentax K70 with the new 55-300 PLM. My question is the clarity on the new zoom at full out 300mm . Is it comperable to the old DA lens or not. Have heard at full 300, is not to sharp, and have seen some photo examples that I was not to impressed with.

IMHO, the new 55-300 PLM may be a smidge sharper at 300, or at leasat it is not less sharp. However, the difference (in my copies of these lenses) is small, and may be smaller on the average than typical sample differences. [I did a couple Live View MF tests shortly after getting the PLM.] Certainly the AF (on a K-3) is much faster and may also be more reliable/accurate, which is a significant difference.

At 6.3 wide open aperature is it worth putting the 1.4 extender on?

I wouldn't think that would work well for AF, except possibly in very bright sun. And, wide open the IQ may suffer more than you'd like.

10-31-2017, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I upgraded from the DA 55-300 to the PLM version. I never noticed it being softer zoomed out to 300 mm compared to the older version. Actually I stop at the first 0 in 300 on the zoom scale. That is about 280 mm and is hardly different in what you see compared to 300 mm. At this 280 mm point, the lens is still f 5.8. It does not go to f6.3 until you zoom it to its limit. What is very noticeable is the autofocus. It is my fastest and quietest lens.
10-31-2017, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been away from this forum due to ongoing health issues. Good to be in the out of doors and not in a hospital bed.
Happy to hear you are feeling better. The f/6.3 lens will be difficult to use with a 1.4x in many circumstances but you can always try. I too have the DA 55-300 and like it. I'm interested in your findings.
10-31-2017, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I cannot compare the two lenses but the PLM performs very well.
I have tried it with the Af Converter and the combo works surprisingly well. I have only tried this on bright days and the focus locked no problem.
Personally though I felt the image quality was better just cropping images from the lens itself.

10-31-2017, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used both and see no real difference in the optics in the specific lenses I have owned. The PLM focus is FAR faster and the lens is more compact.

I have tested both w/ and w/o the 1.4 teleconverter and can discern no improvement at all at 300mm over simple cropping. This includes looking at text on an oil tank 1.5 miles away. There is no increase in resolution at all with my 2 particular lenses.
10-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I have used both and see no real difference in the optics in the specific lenses I have owned. The PLM focus is FAR faster and the lens is more compact.

I have tested both w/ and w/o the 1.4 teleconverter and can discern no improvement at all at 300mm over simple cropping. This includes looking at text on an oil tank 1.5 miles away. There is no increase in resolution at all with my 2 particular lenses.
I realize that the PLM will not function properly on the K5.(.aperature) Other than that would it be okay. I usually shoot wide open and a high shutter speed.Think will forego any extender as I should realize a difference in the crop with the increased sensor size on the K70.

Thanks to all for the info..very helpful.. jgnfld..a beautiful province province
10-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Forum Member

Thanks Adam
AS long as it is the same or better with clarity, I know the auto focus and lack of noise will be a real bonus. Looking forward to it. Amazon have the K70 for $689 Canadian ( fairly good price ). Are thee any know reliability issues with the K70, or is it to soon to realize.

John
CameraCanada has the same price on the K70, and you will be dealing with a retailer who actually knows the equipment that they sell.
10-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found that my 55-300mm HD WR produces very fine results throughout its zoom range. It has fast enough AF when operating within the same general distance area. It becomes slower when going from near to far distance due to a much longer focus rotation, which is advantageous for fine-tuning focus manually.

If one does a lot of shooting where extra-fast AF is needed in good lighting, and going from near to far, then the PLM version would be faster.

All that is weighed against the slower aperture for lower light and higher ISO use, and for getting the highest shutter speed possible, and the fact that the PLM version has internal focusing, which induces focus "breathing", causing a shortening of focal length at less than infinity focus. That closeup of a bird on a branch taken at 30 feet and 300mm will likely be smaller in the frame with the new lens.

In addition, although the K-70 is an outstanding performer in its class of camera, it does not really represent an upgrade from a K-5 in many important ways. Construction, control layout for maximum functional expediency, in-camera RAW conversion to TIFF, a top LCD panel, deeper buffer for burst shooting, etc. can only be upgraded completely by a model of similar design. Personally, I would not go from a K-5 to a K-70 with the main purpose being to use the 55-300mm PLM lens unless I had a specific need for that AF difference. I have the very high-performing KP, which is above the K-70, but I still retain and use my K-5 IIs for its superior functionality in certain respects.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-31-2017 at 08:20 PM.
11-01-2017, 01:54 AM   #12

Thanks Adam

John
If you do want better AF, KP or K3 is the way to go as regards the body. AF engine hardware in K70 is close to the one in your K5, only software improved since.
11-01-2017, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

... jgnfld..a beautiful province province
Taken w/ 55-300 PLM on a K-70 all from a moving sailboat. exif's are available by clicking on pics. Eagles and seal at extreme range and heavily cropped.

11-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seeing the comments on the 1.4x TC on the PLM version I can state that the DA* 60-250 with a 1.4x converter on it is clearer than my DA 55-300 at the same distance and subject. The DA* is a lot more expensive and has slower focus than the PLM but despite being SDM reports of failure are few and far between (sadly however a failed DA* 60-250 cannot be converted to screw drive due to software issues in the lens when converted.)
11-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #15

Original Poster
Da 55-300 vs 55-300 PLM

Thanks to all. Appreciate very much as have been given lots of advise. Even to re consider K311 or KP rather than the K70. I will not be moving on this until early next year but what to have my mind made up in case I see a good price, can act.

Thanks again, this is a great group !!

John
Ontario Canada