Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2017, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm just curious as to whether that combination will be too long a 'tunnel' and I lose too much of the 15mm shot.
If you pull out the hood, the cutouts in the corner give you an idea what the 'line of sight' from the lens needs to be. With a slim extender and step up ring, I'm sure you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Perhaps a slim 49mm ND filter will actually fit and I just have to decide on what stop to choose.
If you like the lens, I'd definitely recommend that. This way, you can still benefit from the hood - filters usually have more trouble with flares than the lens itself, which is magic in that respect. 49mm was anyway a reasonable choice for me as it is shared with a most of the primes that I use: DA ltds, F28/2.8, DA 35/2.4, FA 77/1.8, F50/1.7, FA50/1.4, DA 100/2.8WR, M135/3.5 and Sonnar 135/3.5. What on earth made Pentax put a 52mm thread on the DA50/1.8 for no reason? I'm using it with a step-down ring in my weight-optimized prime kit. Anybody have a spare Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 180mm/4.0 for me to complete the 49mm set ?

11-02-2017, 02:55 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Bruce - for those occasions where I've wanted to use a UV filter for protection, I've found that the 49mm Hoya HMC Slim Frame fits perfectly and allows the hood to move back and forth freely without catching the felt lining. I don't know whether Hoya does ND filters in that slim frame format, but I would check them out

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-02-2017 at 03:52 AM.
11-02-2017, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Hoya ND8 filter fits perfectly on the DA 15!
11-02-2017, 03:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So by using a 49mm thread adapter ring that is super slim, I could then mount my 49-52mm adapter ring and then the 52mm ND filters?

I gather this one here is not an adapter but actual UV, but it does look slim and that shouldn't get in the way of a ND filter shot right?
Going extreme with filter on DA15 have a look at my post some time ago.

11-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
If you pull out the hood, the cutouts in the corner give you an idea what the 'line of sight' from the lens needs to be. With a slim extender and step up ring, I'm sure you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

If you like the lens, I'd definitely recommend that. This way, you can still benefit from the hood - filters usually have more trouble with flares than the lens itself, which is magic in that respect. 49mm was anyway a reasonable choice for me as it is shared with a most of the primes that I use: DA ltds, F28/2.8, DA 35/2.4, FA 77/1.8, F50/1.7, FA50/1.4, DA 100/2.8WR, M135/3.5 and Sonnar 135/3.5. What on earth made Pentax put a 52mm thread on the DA50/1.8 for no reason? I'm using it with a step-down ring in my weight-optimized prime kit. Anybody have a spare Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 180mm/4.0 for me to complete the 49mm set ?
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Bruce - for those occasions where I've wanted to use a UV filter for protection, I've found that the 49mm Hoya HMC Slim Frame fits perfectly and allows the hood to move back and forth freely without catching the felt lining. I don't know whether Hoya does ND filters in that slim frame format, but I would check them out
I think I like the idea of the UV filter in place of the ND filter because then as grispie points out you can now put a 'normal' lens cap on instead of the screw mount.

BigMackCam, was it this one? Genuine HOYA 49mm HMC UV(C) Camera Lens Slim Frame Filter Multicoated for DSLR | eBay

It's ten bucks cheaper than my current option of trying the shops Promaster one, only issue is waiting for it to arrive...

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Going extreme with filter on DA15 have a look at my post some time ago.
Stop it you!
11-02-2017, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

BigMackCam, was it this one? Genuine HOYA 49mm HMC UV(C) Camera Lens Slim Frame Filter Multicoated for DSLR | eBay

It's ten bucks cheaper than my current option of trying the shops Promaster one, only issue is waiting for it to arrive...
Yup, that's the one

As well as fitting nicely, I'm pleased with Hoya HMC UV filters optically. Clearly, you're better off without them if you want the very best optical performance, but these have remarkably little negative impact on IQ - even with longer telephoto lenses which tend to show up the filter's limitations...
11-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Lens hood...

So... before I purchased this lens I read and understood it was a 49mm thread, and I also read that it took a screw lens cap... and I also read and understood that the hood is built it. What I didn't read anywhere (and I checked a good few reviews) was that said 49mm thread filters won't reach the threads :/

Just exactly how is one supposed to get filters onto the DA 15mm lens? Also... if I get a ND filter on one, am I going to be able to extend the thread?

I dunno... I just expected a Pentax lens worth $600 that is 15mm (therefore kinda Landscape specific) to take filters, especially if they make a point of saying the thread is 49mm :|

Cheers,

Bruce.
make sure the hood is pushed ALL THE WAY in...sorry to be so obvious, but you never know. Pull it all the way out and back in again. Mine sometimes sticks if it's cold.

Cheers,
Cameron

11-02-2017, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

I just checked some original photographs & seems the vignet with stepup & one ND filter is hardly noticable (mind you, i use a step up ring to 58mm as i bought filters to fit my fa31).
Some photos have severe vignet, but probably i stacked a polarizer as well on those. Can't recall.