Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited... can't put a filter on :|

So... before I purchased this lens I read and understood it was a 49mm thread, and I also read that it took a screw lens cap... and I also read and understood that the hood is built it. What I didn't read anywhere (and I checked a good few reviews) was that said 49mm thread filters won't reach the threads :/

Just exactly how is one supposed to get filters onto the DA 15mm lens? Also... if I get a ND filter on one, am I going to be able to extend the thread?

I dunno... I just expected a Pentax lens worth $600 that is 15mm (therefore kinda Landscape specific) to take filters, especially if they make a point of saying the thread is 49mm :|

Cheers,

Bruce.

11-01-2017, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Bruce, found this old thread that may help. Good luck mate.

DA 15mm and DA 21mm and LEE filter adapters - PentaxForums.com
11-01-2017, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Bruce, found this old thread that may help. Good luck mate.

DA 15mm and DA 21mm and LEE filter adapters - PentaxForums.com
Excellent, how very helpful of you

So it looks like I need to hunt for a very slim filter ring. The current one I have almost passes it (the hood) (my ND filters are actually 52mm, I use a 49-52mm ring adapter to step up to it.

So by using a 49mm thread adapter ring that is super slim, I could then mount my 49-52mm adapter ring and then the 52mm ND filters?

I gather this one here is not an adapter but actual UV, but it does look slim and that shouldn't get in the way of a ND filter shot right?
11-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Excellent, how very helpful of you

So it looks like I need to hunt for a very slim filter ring. The current one I have almost passes it (the hood) (my ND filters are actually 52mm, I use a 49-52mm ring adapter to step up to it.

So by using a 49mm thread adapter ring that is super slim, I could then mount my 49-52mm adapter ring and then the 52mm ND filters?

I gather this one here is not an adapter but actual UV, but it does look slim and that shouldn't get in the way of a ND filter shot right?
Most welcome, glad to help. I believe what you are suggesting is correct. When the Northern Hemisphere members wake up, I'm sure they will chime in with their experiences. Once again, good luck mate. Hope you get it sorted.

11-02-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If i want something locally, and that are happy to prize open the packaging to let me test, this seems to be the cheapest I can find; ProMaster 49mm UV Filter | Camera House

It still looks a tad wide to me, similar to my step up ring, but maybe not...

That's more than I wanna pay, price wise tho it looks like I would end up paying the same or more getting this from the states :/ Formatt Hitech 49mm Firecrest SuperSlim UV MC Filter FC49SMUVMC

Silly lens! HULK SMASH DA 15MM!
11-02-2017, 12:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Are you trying to stack filter on top of one another? Becareful it might cause (heavy) Vignetting.

I love the lens but I hate that hood.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 11-02-2017 at 12:38 AM.
11-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Silly lens! HULK SMASH DA 15MM!
it will work just fine.
uv filter (smash the glass), stepup ring to 52, filters and go. awesome lens..
Fairy Pools by christophegryspeert - Photo 198416103 / 500px

You will get a bit of vignet, just keep that in mind when taking the shot..

11-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Are you trying to stack filter on top of one another? Becareful it might cause (heavy) Vignetting.

I love the lens but I hate that hood.
Yeh I can live with a little.

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
it will work just fine.
uv filter (smash the glass), stepup ring to 52, filters and go. awesome lens..
Fairy Pools by christophegryspeert - Photo 198416103 / 500px

You will get a bit of vignet, just keep that in mind when taking the shot..
Yeh that's what I'm trying for, I can live with that amount of vignetting. So was that shot taken with the 15mm with a 52mm ND filter on?
11-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

So was that shot taken with the 15mm with a 52mm ND filter on?
yes
as well these
Port of Antwerp by christophegryspeert - Photo 160863099 / 500px
Sgurr nan Gillean Scotland by christophegryspeert - Photo 152742955 / 500px

Love the iq of this little thing..
11-02-2017, 01:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So are these non cropped? The vignetting is definitely bearable. My task right now is finding a cheap UV filter that looks slim enough, by chance do you recall the brand you tried? The cheapest I have to 'try before buy' is $25 from the aforementioned link, but I do see cheaper ones on ebay, some don't show a physical picture of the filter at all tho so I have no idea if it appears slim or not...

Nice shots by the way, got a flickr account?
11-02-2017, 01:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Must have been lucky then, none of my 49mm filters protrude over the lens barrel or more precise, front lens tube. E.g., both the non-slim Hoya ProND64 and the (surprisingly good) Haida Slim PRO II MC ND3.0 fit equally fine as do some 49mm SKYLIGHT and UV filters that I purchased together with used lenses as screw-on lens caps.
The Haida ends btw. well behind the cutout hood, so I'd expect absolutely no vignetting from it. The Hoya protrudes very little into the side cutouts. It is however usually used with the aperture stopped down, so there should not be an issue either.

Last edited by JensE; 11-02-2017 at 01:14 AM.
11-02-2017, 01:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

So are these non cropped? The vignetting is definitely bearable. My task right now is finding a cheap UV filter that looks slim enough, by chance do you recall the brand you tried?
well, these are after cropping. to be honest, i can't recall how big the vignet was, so not sure anymore whether it was a big issue or not. I'd have to loop up the originals (at work now...). it was a generic cheap uv filter. I always leave it on, so i can put a 'normal' lens cap on.

got a flickr account?
Christophe Gryspeert | Flickr

---------- Post added 11-02-17 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Must have been lucky then, none of my 49mm filters protrude over the lens barrel or more precise, front lens tube. E.g., both the non-slim Hoya ProND64 and the (surprisingly good) Haida Slim PRO II MC ND3.0 fit equally fine as do some 49mm SKYLIGHT and UV filters that I purchased together with used lenses as screw-on lens caps.
The Haida ends btw. well behind the cutout hood, so I'd expect absolutely no vignetting from it. The Hoya protrudes very little into the side cutouts. It is however usually used with the aperture stopped down, so there should not be an issue either.
I guess that getting some 49mm filters is the best solution. But also the more expensive one when one already has 52mm filters.
But probably you can stack multiple filters without any real vignet issue, no?
11-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well, these are after cropping. to be honest, i can't recall how big the vignet was, so not sure anymore whether it was a big issue or not. I'd have to loop up the originals (at work now...). it was a generic cheap uv filter. I always leave it on, so i can put a 'normal' lens cap on.
Ah yes, that's a good point actually. I don't mind the screw on cap, my DA 15mm version is the silver, and the metal silver cap I think looks rather nice
However in the field I can imagine a little too long to take off when needing an immediate shot.

Following =)

I guess that getting some 49mm filters is the best solution. But also the more expensive one when one already has 52mm filters.
But probably you can stack multiple filters without any real vignet issue, no?
I have 52mm ND filters, two of them, quite high quality which work on all my other lenses, so I don't particularly want to buy more ND filters. My other lenses range from 49mm to 52mm threads so I therefore also have a 49-52mm step up ring, unfortunately this doesn't fit, it's close but not quite. So it looks as though I am going to need a 49mm cheap (but very slim) UV filter, smash glass (or unscrew the glass out if I can), and then place that in first, then the step up ring, and then the ND filters.
I'm just curious as to whether that combination will be too long a 'tunnel' and I lose too much of the 15mm shot.

Perhaps a slim 49mm ND filter will actually fit and I just have to decide on what stop to choose.
11-02-2017, 01:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm just curious as to whether that combination will be too long a 'tunnel' and I lose too much of the 15mm shot.

Perhaps a slim 49mm ND filter will actually fit and I just have to decide on what stop to choose.
the tunnel won't be too long.. You've seen my pics.
If you get a slim 49 ND, i'd go for a three stop or so. You can always add on a 52mm ten stop (or whatever you have) but you can't reduce the 49mm ND anymore. my 2 cents.
Maybe check for other to chime in..
11-02-2017, 01:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
the tunnel won't be too long.. You've seen my pics.
If you get a slim 49 ND, i'd go for a three stop or so. You can always add on a 52mm ten stop (or whatever you have) but you can't reduce the 49mm ND anymore. my 2 cents.
Maybe check for other to chime in..
Trudat.