Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
update if anyone cares that is

decided against any new lenses

in fact got rid of the SMC Pentax DA L 4-5.6 50-200mm WR ED as well as the K 5 II ( with around 8,000 shutter count ) so I could obtain a new K 3 II + its battery grip

couldn't resist the deal offered by B & H where I could purchase that combo for less than $7.00 over the price of the K 3 II alone

sale is apparently still active:

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video

wife said for a combo Christmas/Birthday present, go for it

but not to expect any other gifts

so now I have both the K 3 II and the K 3 one or the other is the back up not sure which is which

12-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a great deal. I’ve had my eye on it also.
12-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
so now I have both the K 3 II and the K 3 one or the other is the back up not sure which is which
Congratulations, Allen. That's a great deal, and I know you'll love the K-3II
12-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I first found it in early November of '17 and I keep wondering when B & H will drop the deal

I thought it was an early " Black Friday " / " Cyber Monday " deals but it has survived those events

will it last past Christmas

only time will tell

12-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even the K-3 is still considered to be comparatively compact for full-featured DSLRs. Therefore, among your list of lenses, from my pointe of doing things (which may differ substantially from yours) there are two gaps. The wide-angle one has been pointed out. The other, among your primes, is lacking a good, very compact all-around versatile focal-length prime for general shooting when not needing or wanting a bulky zoom lens. Pentax is famous for its small, elegant Limited primes. For such a purpose, the DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited is hard to beat. Scenics, with or without people, street shots, or whatever. Your DA 40mm LTD could go into a pocket as well. This would be a nice, easy-carting kit. As you know, a shooting experience with primes is a different experience compared to zoom lens use.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-21-2017 at 06:20 PM.
12-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Even the K-3 is still considered to be comparatively compact for full-featured DSLRs. Therefore, among your list of lenses, form my pointe of doing things (which may differ substantially from yours) there are two gaps. The wide-angle one has been pointed out. The other, among your primes, is lacking a good, very compact all-around versatile focal-length prime for general shooting when not needing or wanting a bulky zoom lens. Pentax is famous for its small, elegant Limited primes. For such a purpose, the DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited is hard to beat. Scenics, with or without people, street shots, or whatever. Your DA 40mm LTD could go into a pocket as well. This would be a nice, easy-carting kit. As you know, a shooting experience with primes is a different experience compared to zoom lens use.
is there that much of a difference between what you mentioned and my [ non pentax ] 28mm and my pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 XS

neither are " bulky " lenses

the major " missing links " I see is the lack of a prime over 100 mm

and with the quality of my longer zooms, 70 - 200 2.8 and the 150 - 450 I wonder how much of a missing link that is

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-21-2017 at 05:42 PM.
12-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite a bit of difference. I have and really like the very small DA 40mm LTD, and also have the FA 28mm f/2.8 lens, which has no actual wide angle on APS-C. So the FOV with the DA 21mm LTD is very different. I cannot imagine that the DA 40mm and DA 21mm LTD's were not meant to be part of a kit. The FOV of the 21mm is truly wide angle without being overly wide. I also have the excellent DA 12-24mm f/4 lens, which I use for serious WA shooting, but it is quite large, and I therefore do not use it for light-carrying general use. I more recently acquired the DA 20-40mm LTD for my KP, and use the primes less, but when I really want to go compact as possible, those primes are unbeatable.

12-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Quite a bit of difference. I have and really like the very small DA 40mm LTD, and also have the FA 28mm f/2.8 lens, which has no actual wide angle on APS-C. So the FOV with the DA 21mm LTD is very different. I cannot imagine that the DA 40mm and DA 21mm LTD's were not meant to be part of a kit. The FOV of the 21mm is truly wide angle without being overly wide. I also have the excellent DA 12-24mm f/4 lens, which I use for serious WA shooting, but it is quite large, and I therefore do not use it for light-carrying general use. I more recently acquired the DA 20-40mm LTD for my KP, and use the primes less, but when I really want to go compact as possible, those primes are unbeatable.
you, sir, are a troublemaker

" just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in "

now I am thinking that I want one of those
12-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'v got more "trouble-making" but practical suggestions- I understand your keeping your K-3 as a second, fine body to your new K-3 II, because for one thing, it does have a built-in flash for when you'll more likely have use for one. And you already have it.

However, I would suggest you sell it and buy a new K-70 for your 2nd, more lightweight body. It will balance your overall kit better. Sure there are some features not there compared to a K-3, but in this case you already have those and more with your new camera, and the K-70 would bring important advantages of is own to the table. It has as good a flash as the K-3 you'd be giving up, and it offers real advancement for low-light/high-ISO shooting. It also has the articulating LCD screen making it easier for doing macro from low or odd positions. You can do some fun things like putting your little 18-55mm kit lens on and take selfies with one other person, set at 18mm. Being smaller and lighter, it carries well as a 2nd body.

Being that you had the K-5II for so long, your K-3 may not have a huge amount of use, and it would seem to be in high demand for a used body because it has the flash. It might bring in most of the cost of a new K-70, or maybe all of it. Of course, the very fine K-3 II would still be your main workhorse for most of your endeavors, but there will be times when you may need what the K-70 offers, including smaller size and weight, great low-noise results, and the articulating screen. More tools in your toolbox.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-22-2017 at 09:35 PM.
12-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'v got more "trouble-making" but practical suggestions- . . .
thanks but no thanks

I'll stick to the K 3 thank you any way

won't argue advantages or disadvantages

I just like how the K 3 + battery grip fits my hand and I can live without anything the K 70 would give me as opposed to either the K 3 or K 3 II

my K 5 II actually had very little use, once I got the K 3, it was used 90 % of the time
12-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do understand- everyone has their own preferences. The K-3's are fine designs and built like tanks.
12-23-2017, 02:41 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that being able to admit to the fact that you have LBA and GAS is an important step - and each day that goes by without buying a lens is a victory, but you must never think that you are cured - it's one day at a time.

Having said which, as has been observed, you have come to the wrong place: this is like a happy hour bar on a friday night in the city centre. What you need is a rehab centre with no temptations of any kind that might trigger the need for new equipment. I think you have two options - to sit out your days in a grey windowless room drinking carrot juice, or to accept that you have a problem, say 'what the hell - you only live once', and keep on partying.
01-14-2018, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
well I " fell off the wagon "

just arranged the purchase of an experienced SMC Pentax 21mm F3.2 Limited from a forum member.

If all goes as planned, I may have it in 5 - 7 days