Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro compatible?

Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro

I am in process of deciding on a Pentax K70 body. In looking at prime lens options, would someone know if the Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro (Model 272EP) will allow auto focus and all other normal lens/camera functions work? Including aperture priority, etc.

Just signed up for this site. Great information so far!

11-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome!
As long as it is pentax mount it should work perfectly.
11-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
Informative comparison.

I just read the review linked from this site comparing the Tamron with the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR D FA Macro Lens. May go with the Pentax after reading the review. Both sound like good lenses. Size and simplicity of the Pentax seems appealing.
11-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote

I am in process of deciding on a Pentax K70 body. In looking at prime lens options, would someone know if the Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro (Model 272EP) will allow auto focus and all other normal lens/camera functions work? Including aperture priority, etc.

Just signed up for this site. Great information so far!
Works perfectly on both Crop and FF

11-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just read the review linked from this site comparing the Tamron with the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR D FA Macro Lens. May go with the Pentax after reading the review. Both sound like good lenses. Size and simplicity of the Pentax seems appealing.
did you read the in depth review of the D FA 100m Macro WR itself ??

one of the interesting things is this:

" Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR
Specifications

The SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm Macro F2.8 WR is the fourth version of this particular autofocus macro design. The series started with the F 100mm, followed by the FA 100mm, and more recently the D FA 100mm (non-WR). These four lenses share the same optical formula. The most recent D FA version with WR offers several improvements when compared to the previous models: weather sealing, rounded aperture blades, a smaller 49mm filter diameter, a metal barrel, quick-shift focusing and SP coatings. However, it lacks the focus clamp, aperture ring, and/or focus limiter found on some of the earlier models. "

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

if cost is important and you are willing to give up WR and the other different features, you might find an " experienced " D FA 100mm macro or F 100mm, or the FA 100mm be suitable

I purchased an " experienced " D FA 100mm macro from the market place and am quite happy with it. You may want to check out the reviews of the F 100mm, followed by the FA 100mm, and more recently the D FA 100mm (non-WR).
11-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I owned the Tamron for years and was very happy with it. I used it almost exclusively for macro. When I had a chance to get a good deal on the Pentax 100 WR I jumped on it and sold the Tamron. The Pentax seems to be a very good replacement and I appreciate the fine IQ, the build quality and the size / weight. I also like the quieter AF on the Pentax and that might help with my macro shots of small creatures. I probably will never benefit from the WR aspect, but it's nice to know that I can if needed.
11-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The DFA Pentax 100mm f/2.8 macro WR lens is one very fine lens. I've had other macro lenses in the same range, but this one is a beauty. Great build quality, wonderful image quality, compact and fine handling, great also for manual focus. I find in my own uses that the WR is very useful. There are sometimes good opportunities in nature to get some beautiful closeup shots under drippy conditions.

11-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

While both offer superb macro performance and full compatibility with the K-70, current pricing shifts favor strongly towards the D FA 100/2.8 WR. The two are priced within a few dollars of each other at B&H at present...

Compare Pentax smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f 2.8 WR Macro Lens vs Tamron Telephoto SP AF 90mm f 2.8 Di Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF

Steve
11-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter

And that F FA 100/2.8 "will [definitely] allow auto focus and all other normal lens/camera functions[,] Including aperture priority, etc." !!!

[Plus it's weather resistant, too...]
11-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
Whoa! What an informative first day on this site.

Right now I am planning to get the K70 + Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Lens to start. Then add the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR D FA Macro. Good to know the macro is a good option.

Thanks!
11-05-2017, 05:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Whoa! What an informative first day on this site.

Right now I am planning to get the K70 + Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Lens to start. Then add the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR D FA Macro. Good to know the macro is a good option.

Thanks!

And, if you're gonna end up like many of us, you'll probably eventually own more than one macro lens. The overall quality of 50mm, 90mm, 100mm, 105mm, etc., K-mount true macro lenses from Pentax and from a number of 3rd-party makers, even going back decades, is phenomenal. [And don't forget that manual focus is preferred by many for macro work anyway.]

Welcome to Pentax Forums !!!
11-05-2017, 06:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I currently have the FA 50 macro, the Sigma 70 macro, Tamron 90 macro, and DFA 100 macro, all ƒ2.8.

I;d rate the Tamron the sharpest with the best micro contrast. The Pentax is the lightest most portable and best travel or walk around option. The Sigma is the beggest, heaviest most heavily corrected and smoothest. The FA 50 is also a good walk around lens and may be brought along depending on what other focal lengths I'm planning to carry.

Our Tamron 90 was our first. It quickly became my wife's favourite prime lens (still is) and became largely unavailable for me to use prompting the purchase of the FA 50 and Sigma 70 and eventually the DFA 100 after the 50 accidentally had it's front element immersed in water and had to be partially disassembled to dry it out. I then went for the WR and am quite happy with it, although if absolute sharpness were an issue I'd probably reach for the Tamron 90.

Last edited by normhead; 11-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.
11-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

According to lab tests, the Tamron 90 is very slightly ahead on resolution wide open. But then it is at 90mm not 100mm, and the bokeh tested very good, while the Pentax was rated as top-notch. A bit of hair-splitting here. I also have an older Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX which performs very well, is built very well, and has the focus limiter. Between these two fine macro lenses, I generally prefer using the Pentax WR lens, which is smaller, handles exceptionally well, and has WR. I keep the older Sigma mainly because it still features an aperture ring for my MZ-S film body, which requires this for full operation.

The older Pentax FA model had excellent resolution and build quality, but not WR, and contrast was not as good as the DFA replacement model, or some of the other fine macro lenses. The first Pentax DFA 100mm f/2.8 was very fine optically, having fine contrast, but not very well-built. The current upgraded Pentax 100mm f/2.8 DFA WR is very well-built, indeed! I've had outstanding success with it and cannot overstate its value under wet conditions. I like the 100mm tele best for shooting small live critters without getting as close, so there is less chance of alarming them. Its price for such a well-made lens is really not bad, and having WR in a fine macro lens is rare. I just looked, and right now, B&H has a special price- $50 off, running on the Pentax DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR, actually making it a few dollars less than the Tamron 90mm!

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-05-2017 at 08:55 AM.
11-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
According to lab tests, the Tamron 90 is very slightly ahead on resolution wide open. But then it is at 90mm not 100mm, and the bokeh tested very good, while the Pentax was rated as top-notch. A bit of hair-splitting here. I also have an older Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX which performs very well, is built very well, and has the focus limiter.
Exactly our experience. The Tamron is better pixel peeping and staring for a long time but the other attributes of the 100, size, WR, weight etc. more than make up for that, at least for me. If I was one of those guys who sets up a little studio and takes macro really seriously I'd stick with the Tamron. But, the Tamron also coast me less than half of what the 100 did, and I bought them both second hand. The thing that kept me away from the 100 for so long was the price.

In my case, I paid less for the FA 50 macro and Tamron 90 macro together than I paid for the DFA 100 macro.

Last edited by normhead; 11-05-2017 at 09:07 AM.
11-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Another thing, the Pentax 100mm WR has its front element so deeply recessed (which is common for macro lenses in the 90-100mm range) that a lens hood is not all that necessary, except for extreme conditions, so one can take full advantage of its compactness for pleasurable handling and convenience without concern.