Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 01:46 AM   #1

Soligor MC 300mm F4.5

Should i consider myself a lucky bastard for receiving this lens for free? I searched about this lens a lot on the internet but apparently i did not find too much info about it, so if there`s any pentax users who own it please feel free to enlight me about this heavy monster. Thank you !

Attached Images

11-05-2017, 02:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed, looks like this lens might be missing from the database, unless it's a rebrand. If you want to add it to the DB, you can do so here.

What mount does it have?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally reckoned to be a Sun (or possibly cimko).

Soligor 300mm f4.5 prime

Lens made by Sun optical - PentaxForums.com

Post some sample pics - some of these look very decent, though he also has structured test pics and remarks the lens is soft with CA.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-05-2017 at 06:39 AM.
11-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Casian Quote
Should i consider myself a lucky bastard for receiving this lens for free? I searched about this lens a lot on the internet but apparently i did not find too much info about it
Nice find. Never seen one, but I own many Soligor long tele lenses, mainly preset, up to 800mm focal length!
I'm not a "proper collector", though I have a special interest in Soligor lenses, especially early ones.
According to my notes, your lens should have been made by Sun on 1978.
Sun zooms from the seventies are forgettable, though some primes are surprisingly good (like a silver 2.8/135mm marked Porst).
Try yours and report your impressions. A side picture would be welcomed, I'm interested in the style of the barrel.

@MarcusBMG
Thanks for the interesting Flickr link.
I've checked the pics on my cellphone, no pixel peep... though the results seem much better than average. I've been impressed by the last two photos, the use of a UV filter almost eliminates fringing!

EDIT:
I compiled a list of Soligor serials by maker, starting from one I found on the Manual Focus Lenses Forum, and adding all my personal findings.
I found that the initial number refers to different lens makers, depending on the length of the serial.
If anybody is interested I can post it

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 11-05-2017 at 09:10 AM.
11-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, Casian, seems like you get to be the one to enlighten us

Give it a try and tell us what you think...

-Eric
11-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
At the moment i am away from home but in 2 days i will post some samples.
11-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
. . . . .

EDIT:
I compiled a list of Soligor serials by maker, starting from one I found on the Manual Focus Lenses Forum, and adding all my personal findings.
I found that the initial number refers to different lens makers, depending on the length of the serial.
If anybody is interested I can post it

Cheers

Paolo

Yes, this Soligor fan would be interested to see your list. Thanks.

11-06-2017, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Yes, this Soligor fan would be interested to see your list. Thanks.
Here it is, mostly based on the list on mf lenses forum, and updated/integrated with my own findings, based on actual comparative examination of the OEM version.
Of course most of the merit goes to the original author of the list, who did a great, great work that has proven very useful to those interested in Soligor lenses, including myself.

I found that the level of interdependence of Japanese lens makers was quite strong, compared for example with the German brands that were still active during the sixties/early seventies. For example Soligor branded (preset) long teles, made by Tokina, Komine or Kino used the same hardware, for example tripod collars.
Contrary to german companies, there are few records available, and the Japanese mentality (and also the language barrier!) didn't help collector and historians to write something akin to the monograph booklets published about Germany/UK/France lens makers. There are little informations about Japanese independent optical companies, while there is a lot about the main camera makers. A real pity, the production of the independent brands (and their relationships) have seen very little interest, and the industrial/engineering interdependence between important makers like for example Tomioka and Cosina, although quite evident, will probably remain undocumented.

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 11-06-2017 at 12:50 AM.
11-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Here it is . . .

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and insights, Paolo!
11-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #10

Original Poster
Sorry for the late response guys. Here are some pictures taken with this lens https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7vGZ3B
Tell me what you think. It has some CA but again, i received this lens for free so be gentle !
11-10-2017, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should i consider myself a lucky bastard for receiving this lens for free?
. . .
Of course! Manual lenses are great fun.

Sorry for the late response guys. Here are some pictures taken with this lens . . .

They look fine to me. If the fringing bothers you, use your 300 for black & white. I really enjoy using the b&w presets on my K-7. And don't worry about pixel peeping sharpness. Just take your lens out and explore your world.

I love to take my long lenses to local parks because of the variety I find there. I'm not much of a wildlife shooter, but with a long lens along there are almost always interesting juxtapositions to be found - if I just look around.
Keep shooting!
11-12-2017, 02:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It has some CA but again, i received this lens for free so be gentle !
Try with a decent UV filter.
I'm sure you can find a used one of the right size on Ebay.
With some lenses/sensors the difference is quite impressive. I've seen examples online where the influence of a simple UV filter on lateral CA was almost miraculous
You never know until you try...

Cheers

Paolo
03-19-2018, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #13

Posted a PK mount version here: Soligor 300mm F4.5 Tele-Auto MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database