Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-06-2017, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oldie but Goodie: Tokina At-x 28-80 f2/8 pro vs Sigma Ex Dg 28mm f1.8 Asph Macro

I've always liked the Tokina AT-X 280 Pro produced under Angenieux patent over two and a half decades ago. I feel it's a underrated lens, perhaps due to the blooming effect at larger apertures and poor performance wide open at the long end. I wanted to compare its IQ to more modern lenses, like the sigma EX DG 28 prime, which I had put up for sale and was about to find a new home. With the time running out, and the terrible weather over the weekend I decided to do a quick IQ test focusing on AT-X 280 performance at 28mm. I put up a comparative chart looking at the len's performance at center and corner. Camera was set on tripod, with 2s release, no correction and post was done on the images. Both images were shot with idential exposure settings. Although the Sigma is rated at f1.8 (and reads f1.7 on the Pentax body) I didn't see a noticeable difference in exposure between the two lenses, Sigma might be at touch brighter but definitely not twice as the specs suggest. Overall I was surprised by 280's performance, sharper than Sigma at the edges from 2.8-5.6, then both lenses equalizing at f8.0.
Let me know what you think.
(you can download the full size image below:
Shared album - I Muho - Google Photos

test:

shot of the mounts: Tokina left, Sigma right

Last edited by Stavri; 11-07-2017 at 05:48 AM.
11-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe the Tokina I have is the 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ATX pro II, which received excellent reviews and was succeeded by the 28-70mm f/2.8 SV which was heavy plastic instead of metal at a reduced cost. The cheaper one was still a good lens, though not quite as good as the f/2.6-2.8 ATX pro II. I have not been using mine for quite some time, and then mainly when I shoot some film. 28mm gives no wide angle on APS-C bodies, but if I should also get a FF DSLR, it will again prove to be very useful.
11-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good test, I know how exhausting doing these can be. Both lenses seem to be roughly in the same ballpark, though the zoom holds an edge over the Sigma prime at wider apertures is a surprise.