Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's not that much different from the FA50, is it? I found the FA50/1.4 usable on an MX in manual focus, though not ideal of course; the MX was something of a rear lenscap to bring it halfway around the world so I could take it into a store and try it on a K-1, LOL. But I still ended up shooting three rolls of film on that camera, even though I also had a K-5 with me!!!
The focus ring is actually twice as wide as the FA50/1.4 (which isn’t saying a lot). There is almost no tactile resistance at all, since the helicoid must be nearly frictionless so the focus motor can move the glass quickly.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-07-2017 at 04:07 PM.
11-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you hanker after the 31mm, albeit in the back of your mind, I'd go for the FA 35. I've been very impressed with how close it is to the 31mm. The DA is not usable on FF, in my opinion. But you're in the cropped world at present, so DA or FA ? The DA is very impressive. Flat across the frame. Accurate. Lovely build, whereas the FA is not comparable in build. I sold my DA and kept the FA, as I felt it was a better long term option. Then I got a 31 for a good price, and the 35 is not getting much use, nice lens though it is.

Your dof requirement is probably subjective. Personally I find a very narrow dof extremely hard to get right. Occasionally, it works and it's great, but more often that not it isn't. For me f2.8 is fine. Larger apertures do give a lovely bright view through the viewfinder, sometimes I think this is its real value when I'm manually focusing.
11-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the DA 35 Macro and really like it. I was going to get the FA 35 but I found the DA used on KEH at a good price. It use to be my main lens until I got the DA 20-40, which I also found on KEH. The DA 35 focus is accurate, highly recommended.
11-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to have a FA35. I select it over a FA31 because I couldn’t swallow the 31 price. From my test, FA35 at f2.2 is about as sharp as the 31. At f4 – 5.6, my 35 is sharper than a copy of 31 I test when pixel-peep. And its overall image rendering is not that far away from the 31. Anyway, I still give 31 an upper hand for everything beside sharpness at f4 – 5.6 when pixel peeping. (of course it is a 3-4 times more expensive ltd lens.)

35ltd Vs FA35: If speed is your main concern, FA35 seems to be a better fit. And you mention about shooing a concert in low light, keep in mind the 35ltd is a macro lens if it misses focus, it will do slow hunting. Every macro lens does this. It can be annoying. On these regards, FA35 could be again a better fit.

But personal speaking, If I have to select a 35 mm again, I would go for 35 limited this time because I like night city landscape and do 90% of the time on a tripod. 35ltd produce better looking starburst + of course a better build.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 11-07-2017 at 04:48 PM.
11-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Since you say you are not comfortable for the lack of speed at f/2.8, and you're not doing a lot of macro, I agree that the FA 35mm f/2 is the best choice. It is great for low light, offers a normal FOV on APS-C or a wide-angle view on a film or FF DSLR, and has excellent bokeh. It is not a Limited, but is well-made and lightweight. I bought mine many years ago for my film bodies, and consider it a very fine performer.

Any true macro lens is almost certain to have slower AF than a normal lens would have.
11-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've read that the DA 35 limited is extremely sharp, FWIW.
11-08-2017, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The FA series has amazing colour rendering. The FA 35 f/2 is the poor man's 31 Limited. Razor sharp wide open it's an amazing piece of glass. Having sold off my FA lenses and switching over to all HD DA Limited's 4 years ago...I don't miss the FA 50 much (only on a rare occasion) but am still kicking myself for parting with the 35. I will probably buy one again soon and it will cost me far more than I paid over a decade ago.

11-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
And you mention about shooing a concert in low light, keep in mind the 35ltd is a macro lens if it misses focus, it will do slow hunting. Every macro lens does this. It can be annoying. On these regards, FA35 could be again a better fit.
That's right. Because of its intended purpose, most of the focus throw is dedicated to the foot or two closest to the lens. Beyond that, things are fast but potentially imprecise. Miss the target and you will be embarrassed. It's nowhere near as bad as the DFA 100WR, but it can still be annoying.
11-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
it will cost me far more than I paid over a decade ago
Not bad at all in the US at the moment.
11-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Not bad at all in the US at the moment.
i forgot how much i hate the americans for they prices. in europe it's double that. if it would be 250€ i'd buy one in an instant (even though i do not need it)
11-10-2017, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Based on your own statements about your likes and expectations, you should probably go for the FA35 F2, since it really seems to be the brighter and not necessarily macro lens that you want. Kind of a no-brainer, I guess.

Personally, I haven't used the FA, but if it shares what I understand to be the rendering characteristics of its series, I would expect slightly warmer colours and a tad less contrast than I see in my smc DA35 F2.8 Macro. I happen to like the Limited's snappy rendering a lot, but, by all accounts, the FA35 is a more than solid performer which has plenty of character itself.

For the premium you pay for the Limited, it should be noted, you do get a much nicer build quality and that close-focusing ability. I've also found my copy to be quite usable already wide open at F2.8, with sharpness peaking at around F5 or F5.6, and nicely holding up till about F8 or, allowing for a wee bit of diffraction, F11.
Those are stunning photos. The FA 35 is very good overall, but at the close focusing on the cat, I don't think it could quite match the pop of that shot. At normal distances, the FA 35 is very good. Also agree, it tends to be just a bit warm - which might or might not be to your liking. Just as the macro has a reputation for good quality wide open, the FA is good at f/2 and excellent across the entire field by f2.2 - possibly the best lens I have at the aperture. Both lenses are capable of yielding a 3D quality. I don't think there is any question that both these lenses are considerably above average - especially for the price, but their strengths are somewhat different. As an absolute macro (1:2 or closer), I don't think 35mm is a preferable length - especially if you are planning on shooting critters. However, that isn't the main strength of that lens, IMHO, as it clearly performs extremely well as a "normal" lens.
11-10-2017, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
As an absolute macro (1:2 or closer), I don't think 35mm is a preferable length - especially if you are planning on shooting critters.
Agreed. For my coronial autopsy and general histopathology work, however, it is invaluable; the ability to get really close to a feature of interest (e.g. a tumor or a bullet hole) while still providing a fair bit of surrounding area for context is a godsend. I found out the hard way that the D-FA 100WR was way too narrow in FOV for that, and I was worried when I decided to buy something more suitable that if I went to the D-FA50/2.8 I would still be disappointed. But the 35/2.8 macro on APS-C has worked out really, really well. If they brought out a full-frame version I'd seriously consider upgrading to it.

It's a very peculiar beast, and although I've never been unhappy with the results, I bizarrely always find myself trying to argue people out of it when they're looking for a general-use 35mm prime.