Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2017, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My brother has the 150-450 pentax and I have the 150-500 APO full frame sigma. We havn't had a chance to compare them yet as the sigma wont work on both my wife's KP and my K1. Works perfectly on K5 or K10d. The lens is away at the moment getting a firmware update so that it will work. Common problem I have read here somewhere. Only with KP and K1. When lens comes back we will do a comparison.
Keith

11-08-2017, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keithg Quote
My brother has the 150-450 pentax and I have the 150-500 APO full frame sigma. We havn't had a chance to compare them yet as the sigma wont work on both my wife's KP and my K1. Works perfectly on K5 or K10d. The lens is away at the moment getting a firmware update so that it will work. Common problem I have read here somewhere. Only with KP and K1. When lens comes back we will do a comparison.
Keith
Can't wait.
11-09-2017, 01:47 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have the Sigma 150-500 DG OS. I have shot wildlife, including birds in flight, and sports with it on both my K-5IIS and K-3II, and I have gotten excellent results. I have found that from F8 on that the images show consistent detail. The light needed for those shots is always a factor. I doubt that you would be disappointed if you purchased the 150-500 if it is in fact in excellent condition, but as for myself I would purchase a new Pentax 150-450 if I was in your situation without a doubt. I am also not a user of teleconverters, so I would not be weighing that as a deciding factor. If you got the 150-450, you would be buying into exactly what you described you needed. When I bought my Sigma 150-500, I had basically the same intentions/need as you, so I invested about $1,100 in the new Sigma. This was before the Pentax 150-450 was made/available, so I did not have that option like you do. The Pentax is a newer model, so I would presume it to be advanced technologically somewhat. Sigma now makes a 150-600, but not for the Pentax K-mount. So, the Sigma 150-500 I have is great and I prize it, but I would recommend a new Pentax 150-450 for your type situation as I mentioned before.
As you say, I was headed towards the Pentax and I was securing money/preparing wife for that kind of purchase () until that 150-500 came my way at something like 350ish €, which definitely got my attention...
I'm going to check it out and see if that is working as it should, if fw is updated to work with the K1 and eventually give it a go.

What I'm thinking is that I may have the opportunity to use that long of a lens in sporadic occasions (like on eventual weekend excursions or the once a year into the wild field trip/vacation that we do) so I have to take that factor into consideration before spending the money for the Pentax (also considering I have to upgrade my wide angle to FF as well).

Admittedly that is a much better lens, but being an occasional wildlife shooter, cost is a factor. The 150-500 has been on my radar ever since, but the copies I found were almost double the price of this one, and that made me think it was probably not worth it, and that I should bite the bullet and go for the Pentax. But...at this rock bottom price I'm leaning towards it.
I just wanted to know how worse it is compared to the Pentax.

What I seem to get from all you guys is that the Pentax is a superior lens, and obviously it comes at a price, the Sigma is more of a consumer grade but can achieve good results if stopped down and used with a good handing technique (and paying attention to dust/moisture), and if found for a decent price it can be worth it. Am I right?

---------- Post added 11-09-17 at 09:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Can't wait.
Me Too

L.
11-14-2017, 02:23 AM   #19

Original Poster
So, I decided to give the 150-500 a try,

One question for you knowledgeable people: is there a way to determine if the FW on the lens has been updated to be compatible with the K1 (like the s.n. or something)?
Seller is a bit out of reach and I just wouldn't want to go there and find that it doesn't work with my K1, and that it needs the FW update before I can actually try it...

Thanx

12-16-2017, 03:03 AM   #20

Original Poster
And here it is, just arrived from the service where I had it firmware updated, mount converted and overall checked.
So far it seems to be working pretty good.
Has any of you tried the differences between the two onboard OS modes and the K1 internal one?

12-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

That is one beastly looking lens.
12-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 50-500. My experience has been the only advantage of the in lens OS is shooting birds in flight. This is mainly from the lens keeping the viewfinder stable. In my real world applications I have never found one superior over the other. I do prefer to and do use the in lens OS when using a monopod. You do however have to remember to turn the in body SR off and back on again when you mount a non OS lens.

My experience with the 50-500 has been a constant learning curve. I learned I really can not hand hold 500mm shots no matter how much image stabilization is used. My tripod and even monopod shots are always better. The 50-500 will test your ability and call out your flaws. I was really frustrated with mine at first. I had to reexamine my techniques and shooting style. Tons of reading and asking questions here helped get past that. The 50-500 is light monster, it simply wants tons of it. When it does not get it it does not play nicely. I compared shots with my Tokina 400mm prime and my 50-500@500mm. The 50-500mm only had slightly more magnification than the Tokina. My feelings are the 50-500 is more like 450mm at 500mm. The 50-500 does not resolve distant objects the best. The images also do not hold up to heavy cropping very well.

That being said I have truly enjoyed my 50-500 over the years. I paid $800 for it several years ago used in essentially mint condition. It was the most affordable way for me to get to 500mm. If I could afford the Pentax 150-450 I would get one of those. I have never mounted my 50-500 on my K-1 since the mount has never been converted. I probably should do something about that.

In short I think the Pentax is simply superior in almost every way. It is a newer design, newer optics, weather sealed, has more functionality, and performs better wide open. The Sigma wins though when you look at what you are getting for your money. This why I have a Tamron 70-200 and not the DFA*70-200. Dollar for dollar the Tamron is simply the better value.

Last edited by Scorpio71GR; 12-16-2017 at 09:29 AM.
12-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
The 50-500 does not resolve distant objects the best. The images also do not hold up to heavy cropping very well.
That is the reason I returned my Sigma 120-400. Images of a ridge1km away were so weird they looked like they'd had a photoshop landscape applied, which normally would mean diffraction. It was Ok for birds and things close to the lens. I ended up with the DA*60-250 and 1.4 TC and have never looked back.

I recently dropped my 60-250 and will definitely consider the 150-450 if it can't be repaired, although I'll probably just get another 60-250. It's a do everything lens, and ƒ4 constant.
12-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 60-250 is definitely one of my favorite lenses especially since getting the K-1. I have never seemed to master the TC thing. I have the 1.7AF and a Tamron 1.4TC. I have had some success with them but only on tripod since SR is essentially useless with them. The most successful I have been is with the 1.7AF and the 60-250. I keep saying I should get the Pentax TC, but my wildlife shooting has been significantly cut back due to health issues.
12-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The F 1.7x I use mostly on the K-1, because the 1.4 can vignette.
05-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
As you say, I was headed towards the Pentax and I was securing money/preparing wife for that kind of purchase () until that 150-500 came my way at something like 350ish €, which definitely got my attention...
I'm going to check it out and see if that is working as it should, if fw is updated to work with the K1 and eventually give it a go.

What I'm thinking is that I may have the opportunity to use that long of a lens in sporadic occasions (like on eventual weekend excursions or the once a year into the wild field trip/vacation that we do) so I have to take that factor into consideration before spending the money for the Pentax (also considering I have to upgrade my wide angle to FF as well).

Admittedly that is a much better lens, but being an occasional wildlife shooter, cost is a factor. The 150-500 has been on my radar ever since, but the copies I found were almost double the price of this one, and that made me think it was probably not worth it, and that I should bite the bullet and go for the Pentax. But...at this rock bottom price I'm leaning towards it.
I just wanted to know how worse it is compared to the Pentax.

What I seem to get from all you guys is that the Pentax is a superior lens, and obviously it comes at a price, the Sigma is more of a consumer grade but can achieve good results if stopped down and used with a good handing technique (and paying attention to dust/moisture), and if found for a decent price it can be worth it. Am I right?

---------- Post added 11-09-17 at 09:47 AM ----------

I see you got the 150-500. I had mine also updated for use with the K-1/K-1 II.

I agree that you have to stop down a ways to attain some reasonable detail. I am still able to take good shots with the lens, but may opt for the Pentax 150-450 in the future.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-21-2018 at 10:07 PM.
05-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
Has any of you tried the differences between the two onboard OS modes and the K1 internal one?
I have the 120-400 Sigma and it eats battery compared to IBIS but works just as well. But with a KP, I want best battery life, even with the battery grip.