Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Laowa 12 mm K-mount problem

Hi, I got some time ago new Laowa 12mm /2,8 for my K1.
I have a problem that when putting lens on camera lens does not turn smoothly and is keeping noise.
Afraid that I damage mount on K1.

Any expierience?

br.Tapio

11-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tapio Kekkonen Quote
I have a problem that when putting lens on camera lens does not turn smoothly and is keeping noise.
You mean the focus ring? Or the lens mount?

Many new lenses have a sharp mount and it scrapes a little when mounted. Usually this goes away after a couple months of use. The mount should be tight, and when the lens is new, it is a little tighter than it needs to be. But I don't have that lens, so I don't know how your lens is mounting. Make sure the camera and lens mount are clean and free of damage or grime.
11-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank Na

I mean the lens mount. I have also many lenses from Sigma and Rokinon + Pentax own. These turn very smoothly. Laowa is totally different.
I'm worried which will worn out first mount on Laowa or K1.

Tapio Kekkonen?s albums | Flickr
11-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe you can upload a photo of the mount?
If the edges are jagged and not machined well, you can try using a fine grit sand paper (200, 400?). But you have to be very careful not to go too far with it. And sanding might remove protective coatings that some mounts have (not sure about the Laowa one, I don't have a Laowa lens). You can try sending it back for a return if its within warranty, but you might get an exact same lens back. Not a lot of people on this form have a Laowa lens yet. The 12mm seems like a really cool lens, so try to make it work

11-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't use any sandpaper, but try some crocus cloth which is much less aggressive. It will smooth metal but it's more of a polishing process than the abrasive result you get with even fine grit sandpaper. This will depend on the roughness you're trying to remove and if it's too rough or sharp edges, you may have to resort to other means. Number 200 is pretty coarse. I would start with a really fine grit (if that's what you need), and see what happens. Most mounts are chrome plated brass and if you cut through the chrome, you could be in trouble for future corrosion at that point. As Na Horuk suggested, if it's too severe, try to see if the warranty covers it before touching it with anything.
11-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My copy doesn't attach to the mount smoothly. It's a bit unsmooth for sure. Kind of jumpy or skippy I'd say. I've never had concern about it damaging the mount though. My copy also wiggles a bit in the mount as I've written about elsewhere. After ordeal getting the lens replaced and reassurance from others that a little wiggle is no big deal, I decided to stick with my second copy and haven't been disappointed. I got used to the wiggle and the way it attaches.
11-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

It is quite an expensive lens and the manufacturer should/must fix the issues. The issues seem to be universal judging from the above. Or the lens goes back for a full return of monies paid.

11-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
It is quite an expensive lens and the manufacturer should/must fix the issues. The issues seem to be universal judging from the above. Or the lens goes back for a full return of monies paid.
Truth be told, I decided to hang on to my second copy but then at the last minute of my thirty days went to return it to BH for another try, until I realized their return policy is 30 days from their shipping date. Doh. They took about a week to get the lens to me so I misjudged my return window and was a couple days late when I tried to return it.