Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjsnell Quote
I have a DA40, and although I like it a lot, it isn't what I'd consider "fast". The examples from this thread have me thinking that this lens is the fast 50 I've been looking for.

For those of you who have both, how do they compare?

My thoughts right now are to get the FA50, and sell the DA40 and go for a wider limited lens.
I have both the FA 50mm f/1.4 and the DA 40mm f/2.8 ... and I use the DA40 much more than the FA50.

I love the FA50, and I still use it from time to time, but there are a couple of reasons I personally like the DA40:

-- The DA40 has a shorter focal length that is closer to "normal" than short telephoto.

-- The DA40 has quick-shift manual focus so I don't have to flip the AF/MF switch on the camera.

-- The DA40 has less CA and purple fringe than the FA50.

-- The DA40 is sharper edge to edge while wide open than the FA50.

-- The DA40 is smaller and a little easier to travel with when using a small bag.

Honestly, the only reason I use the FA50 at all now is when I absolutely "need" f/1.4 ... if I know I'm basically going to be shooting in the dark.

I hope the new DA*55mm f/1.4 will be a nice upgrade to the FA50 ... with less CA, better edge-to-edge sharpness, and quick-shift focus. Of course, who knows when the DA*55 will actually show up?

08-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
Igilligan

I am agreeing with most everyone...

I have both the DA 40 and FA 50 + an old S-M-C tak 50 1.4... Keep the DA 40, get an old 1.4 or 1.7 M or A lens then get a cheap old flash if you have not already got one...

I was one of those who absolutely just wanted fast glass to solve my indoor shooting probs of the kids, so the FA 50 was my first lens... when it works and the kids are still it gets really nice results. But as mentioned the DOF is too thin for the little ones. I do actually prefer my old tak 50 1.4 because in low light I think I hit focus more often than the FA 50 does... I know for sure I hunt less!

I finally picked up a 15 dollar vivitar 3500 flash that I could bounce and the 2.8 lenses that I have became golden in indoor lighting. I have since upgraded a bit to a 100 dollar flash with Pttl but the old vivitar can hold its own and is sometimes preferable.

BOUNCE FLASH IS YOUR FRIEND.... I never thought I would say that from my "I dont use flash" days. The da 40 with a bounce is a great indoor kid lens... the tammy 28-75 is even better because you can zoom, but that is only my opinion.. I love em both...

Here is one with the DA 40 and a bounce with the vivitar...

and a few with the tammy 28-75 and the sigma flash

this one looks like direct flash but it still works...
08-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I read this thread with interest, because I love my DA40 (the focal length seems to suit me really well), but do sometimes find myself wishing it was just a fraction faster. Because of this, I had been thinking about an FA43, but unfortunately have no way to try one myself (without buying it first)

Can anyone who has / has had an FA43 comment?
08-28-2008, 01:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for autofocus lens..

i love my da 40, but i rarely put it on my camera cause i always put my fa 50 1.4. because i shot at low light often.. and i need the faster speed.

for manual focus

i have m 50 1.7 ..very light, very small ..a decent sharpness.. but i pretty much dont like the color somehow..

in other hand i have

K 50 1.4 and K 50 1.2 .. these two are beasts. i love their speep, their feeling at hand.. for 50 1.2 its a special lens.. you will need it only for artistic shot.. because the DOF it became so thin, easily to get misfocus if we didnt carefully use it..

08-28-2008, 01:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Gus

great shots mate

I really like the last one... great detail

Neil
08-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gus

I've seen those photos before and they are terrific! If my quickly fading memory is correct, the one of the young lady with the glasses on her head was in a recent "birthday" series. I especially like the first one with the Tammy 28-75 where she is coloring. Her expression is like....."Dude, not again!" These are the types of photos I want to be able to take of my grandson (2 y/o). The 28-75 is definitely on my "honey, can I have it?" list.