Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[flame shields up]I don't understand the DA*60-250 as a birding lens. If it's a bird small enough that you need to get close, you may as well shoot with a 135mm prime. If the bird is miles away, 250mm is not nearly long enough.

It's a great option for landscapes and big game though.[/flame shields down]

11-11-2017, 12:30 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too started with the DA 55-300mm lens, which was okay at the time. I upgraded the F-300mm lens, which had excellent IQ but was slow with focusing, so made bird-in-flight pictures a bit of a challenge. Additionally the 300mm reach just wasn't quite enough, and a 1.4 TC only made the lens slower. I upgraded to the D-FA 150-450mm and have been very happy with it. At 450mm, it's almost as sharp as the F-300 lens, and the reach is much better. My advice it to move to the D-FA 150-450mm lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-11-2017, 12:45 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
My advice is to move to the D-FA 150-450mm lens.
If I did this sort of stuff a lot, or for a living, I would agree.

But its size and weight are next level. The DA*300 fits in all my camera bags - some of which are quite small. Add the teleconverter and you get similar reach at the same aperture and a 77mm filter diameter, albeit with less impressive AF performance.

I'm going on a bucket list trip to Antarctica in a year's time, and I'm still vacillating over this choice. As things currently stand I'm sticking with my DA*300 and HD1.4xTC. Hiring a DFA150-450 for a month is the next option....
11-11-2017, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

DA*300 + 1.4x TC is IMHO the best set of compromises (at least when talking about APS-C shooting). Not too heavy for walking around and 420mm (i.e. equivalent of 630mm on full frame) already provides some nice reach, especially if you're able to get "close enough" to the object.

That being said, I'd like to mention that we deserve Pentax version of such a lens like Sigma 500mm f4.5. This lens (+TC) would be a perfect combination for K-1 or its successor.

11-11-2017, 05:22 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
That being said, I'd like to mention that we deserve Pentax version of such a lens like Sigma 500mm f4.5. This lens (+TC) would be a perfect combination for K-1 or its successor.
Updated AF is always a plus but other than not having AW rating, what's wrong with the Sigma 500mm for use with a K1?

And for the same price, the Pentax DA 560mm is AW and could be used on the K1 in crop mode giving an equivalent of 859mm for FF.

Pentax DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW Lens 22180 B&H Photo Video

Using a 1.4x teleconverter with this lens is not practical, as you'll lose AF functionality with a max aperture of f/8, but how many Pentax owners could afford a faster Pentax super telephoto if they made an f/4 version?

A few K1 owners have bought and use the dirt cheap ($169 USD) 650-1300mm manual focus T mount branded by Opteka, Bower, or Vivitar.
Opteka 650-1300mm f/8-16 Preset Telephoto Zoom OP6501300MM-BK

But as winter, big waves, and world class surfers approach Oahu's North Shore, an army of pro photographers descend on the sand with Nikon and Canon 800mm and specialty water housings for those with helmets and fins. Ricoh trying to compete in this market makes no more sense than Canon or Nikon entering the medium format market. Toyota is not going to compete with Subaru for the AWD market (in every model) anymore than Subaru is going to try to make pickup trucks and hybrids.
11-11-2017, 06:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

My birding set up is mostly comprised of The DA*200 with Pentax 1.4 or 1.7 TCs, used alone or stacked n(for a max of 476mm) , or the Tamron SP AF 399 2.8 with the 1.4 or 1.7x. (for a max of 510) but I have also used the GA*60250many times as well as even the 18-135 on occasion.

I often forgo 500mm and use the 1.4 on the Tarmon just to maintain full Auto Focus. But a lot of my shooting is done from a blind, so I am very close to the birds. Within 20 feet usually.

This is the endless question in Pentax land. It was very disappointing when the DFA 150-450 came in a more than the cost of a Sigma or Tamron 150-600 and an inexpensive Nikon body with better AF. Those who have them love them, but to go that route you have to give up on using 2.8 lenses. I'm not sure that's ever going to happen for me,
11-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Updated AF is always a plus but other than not having AW rating, what's wrong with the Sigma 500mm for use with a K1?

Sigma 500mm f4.5 is fine, but I think it's no longer produced / available. At least here in Europe stocks are empty and local Sigma dealer answered that this lens has been discontinued in Pentax K-mount.

And for the same price, the Pentax DA 560mm is AW and could be used on the K1 in crop mode giving an equivalent of 859mm for FF.

Pentax DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW Lens 22180 B&H Photo Video

As DA560 owner I can say that I like this lens, but - exactly as some of the reviews admit - its special construction makes it difficult to shoot handhold. I occasionally do, but you can't really bear it longer than some minutes. It's much more suitable for tripod shooting.

Using a 1.4x teleconverter with this lens is not practical, as you'll lose AF functionality with a max aperture of f/8, but how many Pentax owners could afford a faster Pentax super telephoto if they made an f/4 version?

That's right (unless the light conditions are optimal). DA560 is f5.6. That's another reason why I cry for lens like Sigma 500 mm f4.5, which could (at least I hope so) make usage of 1.4x TC much more possible.

11-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

anymore than Subaru is going to try to make pickup trucks
Uhhh, at one time, Subaru did make a pickup truck, the Brat, I have one!

I also wish to upgrade to a 300 lens. I can't afford to go any more than that, & I want something I can handhold. All my wildlife photos are spur of the moment, which require handholding.
11-11-2017, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

I also wish to upgrade to a 300 lens. I can't afford to go any more than that, & I want something I can handhold. All my wildlife photos are spur of the moment, which require handholding.
The Brat, (had to google it)....

p.s. forgot the Baja
11-11-2017, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I think the Brat/Baja was cool, but it's not a pickup truck anymore than the old Chevy El Camino was. And due to import regulations, Subaru had to put in those reverse seats in the bed to classify it as a passenger car. BRAT was an acronym for Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter. I wish they still made or sold them. Kudos for still keeping yours running as the last Brat was in '94 and the last Baja was 2006.

Ansel Adams used to mount his tripod onto the back of his pickup truck or even the roof, and took some famous shots like Moonrise of Hernandez. The Brat/Baja would be perfect on safari for that sort of set-up with a tripod mounted super telephoto.
11-11-2017, 12:07 PM - 2 Likes   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First thing we did was remove those back seats! Mine's an '82, with around 110,000 miles. Whether you classify it as a pickup or not, I certainly haul a lot of things in it, which I couldn't in a passenger car.

Now back to lenses; I have a very inexpensive ProMaster 70-300 that I use a Tamron 1.4TC with. Pretty happy with it, but still want a 300 primary lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you for some great directions here.
Allthough, i'm still undecided ;-)

I really feel for the da300 & tc. It is indeed best compromise on weight, iq, wr,.. and maybe it would just be a good start & see how i go from there.
I don't feel the 150 450 to be too expensive (don't get me wrong though) , but it is indeed another categorie in terms of weight and size. But maybe for what i want to do, i should go with a tripod or monopod anyhow.

I am a bit wary though about spending a lot of cash on a speciality lens such as the 150 450, with pentax. A nikon 200 500 would sell easier eg if one wants to sell it.. the DA300 & TC is not really a speciality lens to me.
I've been thinking about travel also, but i'll take that out of the equation. The da 55 300 will do that.. It is indeed a good telelens, espec for travel. It has served me well already.

All the other options offered are also under consideration. But i have to do some homwork.

The below website has some pics of the place real close to where i live. I've seen great specimens there. But these are really not your backyard birds and they are not tame at all.. That is why i am unsure the da300 & even tc will do.
Also, there is a lot of water. Forget about technique for getting close ;-) well, to some extent..

.: wandeling Kallo
11-14-2017, 12:21 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Weight and size are definitely something to consider with the D-FA 150-450mm lens. It's a beast, and mounted to a K-1 for handheld work, it can be a workout. If you're not chasing birds in flight, a tripod would be a good investment, and make weight less of a factor.
11-16-2017, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Looking at this guys's 150-450, I was actually surprised how small it was. Comparing it to a lot of 150-600 type lenses in the park, it's tiny. And having owned a Sigma 120-400 for a few days, I'm guessing it's smaller than that.

Most long lenses are just big.

Look at the lens in the forground. I'm guessing it's a lot bigger if not heavier.

But the thing I like about my 60-250 which is about the same size as the DA 300 is, it fits in an ordinary camera bag. That's a huge plus.

For this guy, I shot with my Tamron 300 2.8 with an F 1.7x AF adapter for 510 4.5 On a 300 ƒ4 it would be 500 ƒ 6.3. I really like the 4.5 thing. Although this one taken at 5.6 could just as easily have been taken with the DA*300 and 1.4 TC wide open, with a lot less weight.

Even with those big huge lenses, some people are hand holding.
There are a couple of women there hand holding. I don't know what kind of results they got but, they certainly didn't seem to think they were too heavy.

Last edited by normhead; 11-16-2017 at 02:15 PM.
11-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #30
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of great advice here. Two comments from my own experience, having used screw-driven and PLM 55-300, FA*300 f4.5 (with and without TC), Sigma 170-500 and Sigma 400 f5.6 Tele-macro:
1. There's a certain point at which weight and bulk limit the usability of a lens. For me the 170-500 was that point, even though it was only about 1.5kg it was not a joy to carry, and while it could be used handheld, it was much more awkward and I needed to use faster speeds. (Plus there wasn't sufficient reward for effort in the IQ.) The FA*300 (with the TC when required), is the Goldilocks point for me. IQ is excellent, it's relatively compact, weighs about 1100g with the TC, easy to use handheld, and the AF is OK for perched birds. (I get the odd decent BIF shot, but try as I might it's often an exercise in frustration.) Many of the users above are made of sterner stuff than I am, so their threshold may be higher. But I think that for many people the constraints of using a 2kg+ lens in the field are too great.
2. A problem with a lot of wildlife photography is getting enough light to use sufficiently fast shutter speeds without pushing the ISO too high. That's true even in Australia where the light is usually good. A good flash and flash extender can really help here. Fill flash in the right dose can make a big different with feather/fur detail. (Thanks to @BobfromAus for making this point in a post a couple of years ago.)

Last edited by Des; 11-16-2017 at 02:57 PM.