Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #61
Veteran Member

Original Poster
to be honest,
I hadn't really used the lens up to now, due circumstances & the cold.. (i know, i'm a wimp ;-)
first real outing today.
all pics with the TC on.
Autofocus is pretty snappy to me, although i still have to figure out which setting suites me best. With AFC and zone selection 9 af points e.g. i had to manually turn the lens towards infinity or at least in the direction where it needed to be. Found that odd. Maybe the use of the tc wasn't that helpful for some things..

But i'm very impressed with the sharpness & cropping i can do. And this is all with tc.
all feedback welcome. This is an area i still have a lot to learn.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #62
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
But i'm very impressed with the sharpness & cropping i can do. And this is all with tc. all feedback welcome. This is an area i still have a lot to learn.
Great start Christophe. Well done.

Amazing that the camera gave such fast shutter speeds using aperture priority and low ISO. I generally tried Shutter priority (Tv) mode for birds in flight - maybe I'll give Av another go!
03-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Amazing that the camera gave such fast shutter speeds using aperture priority and low ISO
Yes, i noticed when i started that the shutter speeds were quite high. So i decided to go av mode.
All the pictures were underexposed though..
03-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #64
Pentaxian

i've learned a lot through youtube videos for enhancing wildlife pictures in photoshop the last couple of mnths. Covering "feather" brushes, local sharpening to locally darkening or lighting and how to address the eyes. It's a bit of work but i feel these kind of pictures are defintely worth it. Especially the second marter. Definitely a keeper..

In the nikon world i should opt for at least a D7200. A D500 is too expensive..
There is also the AF capability of a lens to consider i guess. That nikon 300 f4 is said to be a fast focusser.

Hard to tell
The proof may be in the eating of the pudding :-)
A D500 wouldn't be expensive compared to that 180-400 f4 you'd be putting on the front of it. But the lens comes with a TC so it'll be a bargain.

03-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All the pictures were underexposed though..
Probably because you are photographing against a backdrop of sky or water which has light reflected off it. Try using + ve exposure compensation.
03-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Probably because you are photographing against a backdrop of sky or water which has light reflected off it. Try using + ve exposure compensation.
You are right,
yesterday i was at the beach and when shooting into the sea/sky, i found the pics to be underexposed.
Pictures taken with buildings in the background were fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
A D500 wouldn't be expensive compared to that 180-400 f4 you'd be putting on the front of it. But the lens comes with a TC so it'll be a bargain.
yep, looks like a real bargain ;-)
the TC actually comes for free..