Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Super Takumar?

Hi,

I may be getting a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 and it will be on my K100D...

I just searched a bit and found that all people talk (or in User Lens Review Database) is "S.M.C." Super Takumar, I am just wondering if there is only one model of Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 or there are several models, in that case, is it worth to get Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, any pros or cons?

I also couldn't find a genuine Pentax adapter, all adapters from ebay seems cheap and I don't want to get in any troubles with them.

02-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Look..haha..how hard is it to in principle..make a metal ring with a screw thread haha. the ones from China/HK are fine. Just that they charge GBP and you end up paying insane amounts for shipping. I got one from Buybuyeasy and it was fine..just that I lost it somehow..(-_-)

This will shed some light on your lens, hopefully. :P
02-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

SMC=super multi coated. I have a non coated m42 super takumar but have yet to try it out..........
02-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
SMC=super multi coated. I have a non coated m42 super takumar but have yet to try it out..........
Yeah... I know what SMC stands for, but how come there is no "non-coated" in User Lens Reviews Database?

What are the differences between them? I've seen good reviews on SMC version, but for non coated?

Thx...

02-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Look..haha..how hard is it to in principle..make a metal ring with a screw thread haha. the ones from China/HK are fine. Just that they charge GBP and you end up paying insane amounts for shipping. I got one from Buybuyeasy and it was fine..just that I lost it somehow..(-_-)

This will shed some light on your lens, hopefully. :P
I've seen posts about broken adapters, that's why I am looking for a reliable one, does genuine Pentax adapter hard to find? Overpriced?
02-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #6

well pro is that it might be a bit cheaper, and the reason is the SMC coating is applied on the SMC version, which is meant to reduce flare from objects.

Other than that Super Takumar should be the same lens, so the downside is with bright light going into the lens, you get more flare.

As for the adaptor... I got one off ebay for 15£ and it is Pentax original one, I'd say you only need to look a bit more for it, as they used to appear regularly 2-3 months ago. Works great - i got one non-pentax one and it does not work as well, hard to screw the lenses on properly, so I only use the original.
02-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I already have SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7, does it worth it for me to pick up 50mm F.14 Super Takumar?

02-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Teko Quote
I already have SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7, does it worth it for me to pick up 50mm F.14 Super Takumar?
In one of my threads, someone mentioned they had a Tak 50/1.4. He didn't post any shots yet. I'll PM him and followup. The M50/1.7 is a fun lens - my copy's distance ring isn't rotating, but I don't care as long as I get my shot.
02-22-2007, 02:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've seen posts about broken adapters, that's why I am looking for a reliable one, does genuine Pentax adapter hard to find? Overpriced?
I have my doubts that Pentax is even making them. I can find no indication on their website that they are in production, and I none of the major Japanese chain stores whose sites I have checked have genuine Pentax adapters.
02-22-2007, 03:18 AM   #10
Forum Member

I have an genuine pentax m42 adapter for sale. PM me if you're interested.
02-22-2007, 04:38 AM   #11

me in the beginner LBA phase, I first got a Chinon 50mm f1.9 which is an interesting lens, with different rendering but awful flare...

than I got a M 50mm f1.7 which is a good nice, small lens, but I did not use it much, because I wanted that f1.4 thus I got a SMC takumar 50mm, now that was the lens I used the second most of all, and more than the other 50mm ones (I used most the 28mm tak so far). I do think SMC is worth it, as bad flare can ruin some shots, still it is up to you to decide what is more important, and what kind of pictures you take.

My "ranking" changed again recently when I got the 43mm Limited... and this is where I am stopping with 50mm or thereabouts lenses. (or at least i think so )

I would say that in the future I expect to use f1.4 50mm tak, just because it is more forgiving when shooting people IMO, than the 43 mm limited.

Now on the question of 50mm f1.7 - well it is a nice and small lens, but I always tended to go for that SMC takumar instead. In the future I expect to use it a little, but you never know, it will be good for reverse ring macro and who knows what else .