Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 132
mold? in old takumar lens case

So my question isn't about a lens per se, but rather lens cases. I recently bought i beautiful, near-mint condition Super-Tak 200mm f4. It also came with the original Takumar lens case (hard case with red velvet inside). As I said, the lens is in beautiful condition. The case however has what appears to be some mold in it (it looks like fine white powder). I immediately removed the lens and separated the case from the rest of my gear. What i want to know is is there a way to really clean them to get the mold out (if it is mold)? As always, I look to those here with much more knowledge than i for some assistance, and it is always appreciated. Thank you.

11-12-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seaside CA
Posts: 520
The case is "infected" and the mold spores are impossible to completely eradicate.
11-13-2017, 01:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,412
Maybe its not mould - possibly adhesive from case (I seem to remember seeing something similar on one of my cases). Does it smell musty (not that that is definitive)? Might want to post a photo and someone with more experience might be able to comment.

In any case UV kills mould (could leave in direct sunlight for a decent time if you don't have a UV lamp). I'm sure there are probably anit-fungal cleaners than could be used carefully too.

Its true that, if it is fungus, then yes there will be spores although its just a mater of how many as the spores will be everywhere anyway - they just need the right conditions to grow (dark and damp).
11-13-2017, 02:14 AM   #4
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,949
I would clean the case with alcohol or acetone (after testing a small patch first). Then, dry in the sun and you should be good.

11-13-2017, 04:46 AM   #5
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,017
Fumigating with chlorine dioxide such as a Star Brite product should kill any mold/fungus and spores.

Powder may just be from deterioration/oxidation of the leatherette.
11-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian
cyberjunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bologna, Amsterdam, Chiang Mai
Posts: 1,087
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Fumigating with chlorine dioxide such as a Star Brite product should kill any mold/fungus and spores.

Powder may just be from deterioration/oxidation of the leatherette.
A cheap DIY solution is spraying it with an anti-mold liquid, then let it dry under the sun till it's completely dry.
I live in Thailand, and the last exceptionally strong rainy season has brought a widespread mold infestation (also affecting two lenses). Light (UV), low humidity, high or low ph (baking soda or bleach) are all enemies of fungi.
The anti-mold liquid can be made with 3 spoons of baking soda, 3 spoons of salt, and 3 spoons of hydrogen peroxide, diluted in 1 liter of water.
It leaves almost no traces after it dries.
A 5% solution of hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean a fungal infection from optics. You don't have to wipe, just leave the glass element a few seconds inside the liquid, fungus traces will disappear almost instantly

Cheers

Paolo
11-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,812
I have seen something similar in those cases before. In my case I do not think it was mold, rather the adhesive deteriorating into a powder. Mold typically is not going to just pile up in a powder form at least not in the quantities I had in my cases. The cases are 30 to 40 years old and the materials are just coming apart.

Post some pictures and it might be easier to say what you have. I used a vacuum cleaner to remove as much of the powder as I could, then wiped out the remaining with a cloth dampened with alcohol. Worked fine for me.
11-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 6,153
I have dozens and dozens of these old Pentax lens cases and they deteriorate in various ways. Some of the outside "pleather" turns white, fades, cracks or flakes The foam & velvet lining on the inside usually holds up pretty well, but the glue keeping them in place does not. The top part of some cases has a spongy padded top lined with velvet, this foam will turn to mush. It breaks up into a fine black power, so I usually vacuum out the case and re-glue whats left of the top velvet pad.

I have never seen any signs of mould in these cases, just debris as indicated above.

Phil.

11-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian
dsmithhfx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,802
It strikes me that the risk of various deteriorated case constituents and/or mold spores getting inside a lens far outweigh any physical protection benefit these old cases may offer.
11-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,153
Check the lining on the bottom of the lens case.It can detach and the powder underneath is really fine.

I had a lens arrive with the chalky powder all over it, once i got it off i found the Taky to be quite good...but the case is unuseable.

The lighter part on the bottom of my case is the fine powder.

Funnily enough,my Super Tak arrived in this case.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-C101  Photo 

Last edited by surfar; 11-13-2017 at 02:28 PM.
11-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #11
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,017
That's probably the adhesive backing for the faux felt inside the case. If it were fungus/mold producing that much spores you would see the fruiting bodies. You could put a drop of hydrogen peroxide on some of the powder. You'd get a reaction (gas) if it were spores. Although you might get a reaction with some adhesives too, but not likely.

Toss it. If the adhesive broke down the felt will start shedding eventually.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
condition, k-mount, lens, mold, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Cute little slime mold SointulArt Post Your Photos! 8 07-01-2018 06:43 AM
Food Bread Mold up close 12345 Post Your Photos! 3 06-23-2016 01:47 PM
Is it better to lose the biggest aperture or to leave some dead mold in the lens? phidias81 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 12-05-2014 06:37 AM
SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 mold and cleaning dave_walton Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 07-11-2014 04:04 AM
Mold spot on lens kevingt01 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 01-22-2014 04:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top