Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #1

Anyone got any experience with the no-name 60mm 2:1 manual focus off ebay?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi there,

I'm wanting to explore the world of macro photography without spending heaps, and in my research, I came across this: 60mm f/2.8 2:1 Super Macro Manual Focus lens for Pentax PK DSLR K200 KR KX K7 KM | eBay

It seems to be a knock-off of the Venus/Laowa. I've got two questions for anyone who has used it:
- what is it like as a lens? is the image quality like?
- I've read for the venus that you can't get 2:1 on an APS-C (like my K3ii). Is this true? If so, what is the biggest magnification you can get on this?

thanks in advance

11-13-2017, 04:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe a batch that didn't meet the standards so it doesn't get a Laowa name ring?
11-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Maybe a batch that didn't meet the standards so it doesn't get a Laowa name ring?
That would be my thought. There doesn't appear to be any warranty on these either. At least with the Laowa branded lenses you can buy them from a reputable dealer such as B&H and are covered by warranty.

Note: The DSLR lens discussion section may be a better place for this thread rather than photo techniques.
11-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't like that hugely extended range of delivery dates either. Somewhere between November 30 and January 10? I am filled with a distinct lack of confidence here.

11-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With a bit of searching on Ebay, you can get genuine Pentax for less, e.g. PENTAX SMC FA 50mm F2.8 MACRO LENS for K MOUNT EX++ / 90D WRT | eBay

And there are Sigma 50mm macros which are nicely rated in the lens database here on the forum: Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

and can also be found on Ebay.
11-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I read somewhere that it happens that the people running an assembly line will produce in the "off-hours" some no-name products that come off of the same line as the actual thing. No idea whether that is the case or not here, but the lens does look pretty identical to the Venus/Laowa branded one.

As far as shooting with the lens, the main drawback (off-brand or genuine) is that it has no communication at all with the body - not even an aperture lever. This means you're focusing with the lens stopped down, and will have a very dark viewfinder, and maybe even a very dark screen in liveview, depending on the light conditions. I assume you've seen Thomas Shahan's review?

Notice his phrase: "Having to shoot through a stopped-down aperture is rough, it's difficult." (@4m)

You can get to 2:1 by using a ~100mm 1:1 macro lens with a Raynox DCR-250 on top. Personally, this is the route I've chosen. It's not that hard to remove the Raynox to shoot non-macro shots.

p.s.: 2:1 is 2:1 - the lens magnification doesn't change, whether it's put on a camera with an APS-C or FF sensor.
11-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mnaah Quote
Hi there,

I'm wanting to explore the world of macro photography without spending heaps, and in my research, I came across this: 60mm f/2.8 2:1 Super Macro Manual Focus lens for Pentax PK DSLR K200 KR KX K7 KM | eBay

It seems to be a knock-off of the Venus/Laowa. I've got two questions for anyone who has used it:
- what is it like as a lens? is the image quality like?
- I've read for the venus that you can't get 2:1 on an APS-C (like my K3ii). Is this true? If so, what is the biggest magnification you can get on this?

thanks in advance
When used on a Fullframe camera, your limited to useing it in macro mode. When used on a Aps-c camera (e.g. KP), it'll work in all magnification ratios (1:10 to 2 :1), Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro – LAOWA Camera Lenses

11-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
When used on a Fullframe camera, your limited to useing it in macro mode. When used on a Aps-c camera (e.g. KP), it'll work in all magnification ratios (1:10 to 2 :1), Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro – LAOWA Camera Lenses
According to the page you quoted yourself, it simply vignettes a bit on a FF camera when used for distant subjects. From the photos on that page, it looks like it covers a much bigger area than the APS-C frame, even at infinity focus. In any case, the OP is on an APS-C body (K-3ii)...
11-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
This. Take a close look at the lens in the ebay listing. The front of the lens is misclocked 90 degrees. The first and third pics are clear and unambiguous.
11-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Pentax SLR Lens Discussion
03-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is still out there.

Camera 60mm f/2.8 2:1 Super Macro lens for Pentax PK Mount K-3 II K-50 K-1 K-S2 | eBay

I wanted to start a thread about this but was beaten to it.

It seems that these are Laowa lenses being sold at the back door of the factory. Thanks for the lowdown, guys.
03-16-2018, 02:23 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I own this no-name lens.

I don't know whether it is a Venus copy or a rebranded Venus lens, all I know is:
- Bresser 60mm looks exactly like Venus 60mm.
- Oshiro 60mm looks more or less like Venus 60mm (there are minor differences).
- Laowa pretends that Bresserr, Oshiro and no-name are counterfeits lenses.
- The optic formula, minimum distance, aperture blades number are identical, even the distances on the lens are the same...

The aperture is not automatic on this lens (whatever the brand), i.e at F/10 it is very hard to focus because there is not much light.

There is a thread about this lens here (sorry, in French and on another forum): Venus/Laowa 60mm F/2.8 2:1 macro

To resume:

On a K-1 you won't be able to shoot at infinity because of vignetting:

F/2.8-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------F/22

F/2.8 portrait (taken using a K-3), not so bad (resized to 1280*1024):

100% crop of the previous

Round aperture:

I performed a comparison (F/8, about 2:1) between APO Rodagon 50mm F/2.8, 60mm F/2.8 macro, Componon 28mm F/4, the results show that the 28mm looks like the best, the 60mm is 2nd, the 50mm is 3rd but they all are in the same league.

Here you can see the real Venus and the no-name, there are slight differences:

The working distance between 1:1 and 2:1 is constant but tiny:

Using a dedicated macro flash (Kuangren Macro Twin Flash KX-800) is generally a good idea:

To resume my feeling: I often use this versatile lens, it is not for beginners but when you get accustomed to it, it enables interesting macro shots.

Last edited by tryphon4; 03-18-2018 at 01:36 AM.