Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2017, 03:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have uploaded a couple of RAWs with the 18mm lens here
Index of /images/k1-18mm/

It would be interesting to see what the DNG contains.

12-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I uploaded 2 more pics at the above URL, dated 24 Dec. This really is an impressive lens. The manual focus is not an issue for "landscape" work especially as the depth of field at 18mm makes focus not so critical. The performance with the sun in the frame
http://peter-ftp.co.uk/images/k1-18mm/IMGP3980.jpg
is also excellent. I am not using any filter BTW.
12-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I uploaded 2 more pics at the above URL, dated 24 Dec. This really is an impressive lens. The manual focus is not an issue for "landscape" work especially as the depth of field at 18mm makes focus not so critical. The performance with the sun in the frame
http://peter-ftp.co.uk/images/k1-18mm/IMGP3980.jpg
is also excellent. I am not using any filter BTW.
Very impressive mate, thanks for sharing. The shot in the snow you've linked to here has some excellent detail. I checked out one of the others too, didn't realise the DNG would be a download, so thanks for that. This lens is on my wish list and hopefully I'll be able to pick one up in the future.

Tas
12-25-2017, 04:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have just uploaded the DNGs of the two snow scenes - 3980 and 3998.

One of the things this lens does really well is showing foreground shadow detail when the sun is in the frame. Normally in that situation you see very little.

It's a great walk-around lens for scenic outdoors work.

The K1's excellent stabilisation also helps a lot. All these are handheld shots. I got some pin-sharp ones just by sticking my arm out of the cable car window and pressing the shutter. The camera was set to ISO 200 and AV mode.

12-28-2017, 03:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I have created dozens of lcps and they can hold varying data for different (zoom) focal lengths and apertures. A good profile has data for all apertures separately, so there is no need to interpolate. The recommended minimum is three.

The way I handled all this with manual lenses is to fill the aperture metadata field using exiftoolGUI. Lr will then pick this up and apply the right correction. Obviously another step to do but worth it.
I do it with each and every manual lens I use. I even do it with pictures shot with a modern lens like my Sigma EX DG HSM zoom, cause I want to see the objective I actually used, not "Sigma lens".
I use the Lightroom plug-in Lens Tagger, which is a very nice GUI for Exiftool.

Cheers

Paolo