Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my green banded one, but as others said with this lens there isn't a benefit to SMC vs HD that I've seen in comparison articles.

11-16-2017, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
The DA 40 Limited was my 'slippery slope' lens.

Early on, I was curious to learn what the 'Limited' talk was all about, so I decided to find out via the DA 40. I was soon hooked and it was not long before I just had to acquire the remaining six "Samurai" (DA 15, DA 21, DA 35, DA 20-40, DA 70 & DFA 100 - OK, technically not a 'Limited,' but should be...).

Anyway, BEWARE!

It takes a ton of self-discipline to keep the DA 40 from leading you into a VERY expensive territory, as you are about to learn.

Cheers, and enjoy the season... M
"It takes a ton of self-discipline to keep the DA 40 from leading you into a VERY expensive territory"

Q: How does one fund a lens habit such as this? A:...marriage and home ownership are overrated.
11-16-2017, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too have the DA 40, the DA 15, the DA 70, and the DFA 100. I also have the FA 31 and the FA 77... the DA 40 was my gateway drug. You have been warned.
11-16-2017, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote
Green $420.69 on Amazon
Red $321.95 Amazon Prime
Actually found it (red) new at B & H for $272.25

11-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
The DA 40 Limited was my 'slippery slope' lens.

Early on, I was curious to learn what the 'Limited' talk was all about, so I decided to find out via the DA 40. I was soon hooked and it was not long before I just had to acquire the remaining six "Samurai" (DA 15, DA 21, DA 35, DA 20-40, DA 70 & DFA 100 - OK, technically not a 'Limited,' but should be...).

Anyway, BEWARE!

It takes a ton of self-discipline to keep the DA 40 from leading you into a VERY expensive territory, as you are about to learn.

Cheers, and enjoy the season... M
so it begins

LBA

there are many here in the forum that are afflicted

what is the acronym for those not afflicted with " L " but rather with Camera Body Addiction ???
11-16-2017, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #21

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I too have the DA 40, the DA 15, the DA 70, and the DFA 100. I also have the FA 31 and the FA 77... the DA 40 was my gateway drug. You have been warned.
lol.

Same story... DA40ltd (green) was my first baby toe into the water of Pentax's higher end of the lineup.
Now I have DA 40, DA 35 macro, DA 15, DA70, DFA 100 - and the DA* zooms..... It's a slippery sllpe once you set foot on it. Can't say we didn't warn you...
11-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

That looks like an amazing price! You'll get a great, super compact lens with snappy AF and amazing Pentax colours, contrasts. The "limited" lenses have a special character

11-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I just checked B&H website about 2 minutes before writing this post. It is $321 USD which is not a bad price for this lens. If it drops down to $272.25 I am sure it would sell out in about 5 minutes. Two years ago Adorama had it for $318 and I bought it. I had passed my green ring version on to my son thinking I could live without the DA 40 since I have all of the other DA limiteds. I was wrong and had to get it again, the replacement being the red ring version. I found them to be pretty much equal and both one of my favorite primes.
11-16-2017, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I disagree that the 40mm XS is as good as an smc DA 40mm Limited. I owned both at the same time. Chromatic aberration on the XS was disturbingly prominent and not addressed by standard CA suppression in LR. DXOMark agrees on this point, showing double the CA for the XS version. Also, shooting without a hood is not acceptable to me, veiling flare was obvious vs. the Limited with its tiny hood, even on images taken indoors. Sure, you can add a hood, but then the smaller size is lost. I believe the XS uses plastic elements for cost and weight savings, the Limited uses glass, as in the DA 35mm vs. FA 35mm.

I would definitely go for the HD 40mm Limited over the smc 40mm for the improved coatings and rounded blades. I would not trade my smc DA 15mm Limited for the HD version for the reason mentioned above, starbursts. Rounded blades will improve the bokeh, but there's no real bokeh with the 15mm. I've never shot with an HD 40mm but the smc 40mm could do with smoother bokeh.
11-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I disagree that the 40mm XS is as good as an smc DA 40mm Limited. I owned both at the same time. Chromatic aberration on the XS was disturbingly prominent and not addressed by standard CA suppression in LR. DXOMark agrees on this point, showing double the CA for the XS version. Also, shooting without a hood is not acceptable to me, veiling flare was obvious vs. the Limited with its tiny hood, even on images taken indoors. Sure, you can add a hood, but then the smaller size is lost. I believe the XS uses plastic elements for cost and weight savings, the Limited uses glass, as in the DA 35mm vs. FA 35mm.

I would definitely go for the HD 40mm Limited over the smc 40mm for the improved coatings and rounded blades. I would not trade my smc DA 15mm Limited for the HD version for the reason mentioned above, starbursts. Rounded blades will improve the bokeh, but there's no real bokeh with the 15mm. I've never shot with an HD 40mm but the smc 40mm could do with smoother bokeh.
perhaps you had a bad 40mm XS ?

I haven't had a problem with mine and I refer you to the in depth review of the Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/introduction.html

are the two lenses interchangeable no, but neither is the price

" Summary

Though we really like all three of these lenses, . . . let's get down to dissecting how these three stack up. As we've indicated above, we feel that the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited is the most complete package among those presented here. While our review copy had some issues, we are certain that they are not representative of the model's true performance, which should very closely match what we've seen from the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS in these tests. The 40 Limited has the best build, the best looks, and the best features—but for a relatively steep price.

The DA 35mm f/2.4 and the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS also have much to recommend them. . . . The DA 40 XS is by far the smallest and lightest APS-C lens currently being made, and is a brilliant street-shooting tool, much like its skinny-but-not-emaciated elder brother. We find 40mm to be a bit of a swiss army knife focal length on a crop-sensor camera—take a few steps toward your subject and it becomes a lovely short portrait lens, take a few steps back and it can capture landscapes, architecture (to a certain extent), and serve as a general walk around tool.

Ultimately, any of these three will get you great image quality, durable construction (if a bit chintzy, in the case of the DA 35mm), and a compact and lightweight package. Honestly, despite our desire for a faster or slightly wider normal prime, Pentaxians today are a bit spoiled for choice in this general ballpark, and all of the choices are good ones. . . . "

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - The Bottom Line | PentaxForums.com Reviews
11-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Lens reviews on this site are interesting, but hardly the final authority. They are done without the benefit of instruments, which makes them subjective reviews. In the review you quote, they used a Limited they thought was probably defective. It appears you missed this comment on CA:

"Chromatic aberrations were comparable to the DA 35mm, though it displayed nothing near the control of the DA 40mm Limited"

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Conclusion: DA 40mm f/2.8 XS | PentaxForums.com Reviews

My 40mm lenses showed comparable performance save for veiling flare and CA, as measured by DXOMark.

"Although the XS version is based on a similar design to the Limited models, it has slightly better transmission than the new HD model but it has much higher levels of chromatic aberration than either. In terms of sharpness, the HD and XS models perform similarly at the initial aperture – with only moderate sharpness, whereas the older smc Limited model has slightly lower sharpness still. At f4 the new HD model is slightly sharper in the center but from f5.6 onwards they have similar sharpness."

Pentax HD DA 40mm f2.8 Limited lens review: Compelling choice - DxOMark

I did not see any reference to veiling flare in either review. PF only looked for ghosting flare, with the sun shining directly into the lens. A hood will not help with ghosting, only veiling. As I mentioned in the previous post, when I tested my two 40mm lenses against one another, I saw veiling in several indoor photos, where I would not have expected it. I may not even have noticed the veiling had I not taken the same image with the Limited. This is not a slam against the coatings of the XS, which are excellent, but coatings cannot make up for lack of a hood. I use a hood on all my lenses and consider this a necessity for proper performance.
11-18-2017, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have a 5 HD DA Limited's. The 21 started the addiction, the 40 left me helplessly hooked. The 70 sprinkled more pixie dust than any other. The 15 made me see everything with a broader perspective. The 35 introduced a world of small wonders (and got me hooked enough to purchase the D FA 100 macro WR). Things are addictive and harmful to your wallet. I had to give up drinking to support this Pentax Prime habit:-)
11-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
I have a 5 HD DA Limited's. The 21 started the addiction, the 40 left me helplessly hooked. The 70 sprinkled more pixie dust than any other. The 15 made me see everything with a broader perspective. The 35 introduced a world of small wonders (and got me hooked enough to purchase the D FA 100 macro WR). Things are addictive and harmful to your wallet. I had to give up drinking to support this Pentax Prime habit:-)
Sounds like another 12 step group I will need to be attending.