Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 04:37 AM   #1

Difference between HD DA 40mm f/2.8 40 (red) and DA 40mm f/2.8 (green) lens

I am considering an HD DA 40mm f/2.8 40 (red) and DA 40mm f/2.8 (green) lens, or even the 40mm XS lens for my 'normal' lens on a K70 body. To be purchased in the next few weeks.

I am confused on the difference between the HD DA 40mm f/2.8 40 (red) lens and DA 40mm f/2.8 (green) lens. The HD DA 40mm f/2.8 40 (red) lens is about $100 less cost than the 'green'.

Differences? Recommendations?

Attached Images

11-16-2017, 04:44 AM   #2
bxf
Veteran Member

The Red band represents the newer HD coating, which is what you'd want. No idea as to why the older Green one would be more expensive - it shouldn't be.
11-16-2017, 04:46 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
where are you seeing these prices?

I'm asking because the DA40 (green) is out of production...

aside from that, the main difference are the coatings and the aperture blades; the HD would have curved blades rather than straight...

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 11-16-2017 at 05:21 AM.
11-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Red version is updated one, it has improved coatings, SP coated front lens(easier to clean, green 40 was sole limited lens missing this), rounded apreture blades. I would go for the red one, still the real usage diffrence is quite cosmetic(I have green DA70 and compared to red HD DA70, diffrences are marginal).

11-16-2017, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Very marginal difference. The SMC DA is a stunner, but definitely go for the newer HD DA 40 if it's cheaper, or even the same price.

The same cannot be said for the DA 15. The old SMC version has wonderful flare resistance in any case, so the HD coating makes no noticeable difference. But importantly, the rounded blades in the HD DA 15 essentially lose the legendary starbursts of the SMC version. Many people would opt for the old one on that basis.
11-16-2017, 05:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If the red one is cheaper, for God's sake buy it!!! I already have the green, and it's good enough that I'm not going to update for minor differences, but if I were getting it from the start... definitely the red.
11-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
where are you seeing these prices?

I'm asking because the DA40 (green) is out of production...

aside from that, the main difference are the coatings and the aperture blades; the HD would have curved blades rather than straight...
Green $420.69 on Amazon
Red $321.95 Amazon Prime

11-16-2017, 05:56 AM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote
Green $420.69 on Amazon
Red $321.95 Amazon Prime
I'd investigate the DA 40 seller a bit more; if it is a DA 40 you are looking for, you would probably do better here in the Marketplace....

a very quick perusal of our own classifieds here show at least two DA40's for sale, one less than $250, the other less than $200....
11-16-2017, 06:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

By the way, the DA 40 (either version) is very useable on full frame, if you ever go that way.
11-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This might help:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

HD has newer lens coatings, which should improve IQ a little, especially contrast and flare resistance.
Some SMC DA limited lenses have special starburst, which are no longer the same on the HD DA limited versions because of the different aperture blades (smoother bokeh, but less distinct starburst diffraction spikes), but this is mostly relevant to the wide angle like 15mm and 21mm.
If you are on a budget, get DA 40mm XS. If you want the top option, get the HD (red ring) version. Or look for used lenses at Keh.com, ebay, PF marketplace for the best deal on one of the Pentax 40mm primes and get that one

I have DA 40mm XS and its optics are good, but the 27mm filter thread and lack of lens hood can be annoying sometimes. It has, as far as we know, the same optics as the SMC DA, but with rounded blades.
11-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am considering an HD DA 40mm f/2.8 40 (red) and DA 40mm f/2.8 (green) lens, or even the 40mm XS lens for my 'normal' lens on a K70 body. To be purchased in the next few weeks. . . .
[ sorry about the length of this " quick reply " but I kept finding more " useful " ( I hope ) info ]

not sure if you know this or not but up under " Lenses " there is info on different Pentax and 3rd party lenses

here is a link to the " in depth review " from 2012 of the DA 35/2.4, DA 40/2.8 Limited, and [ SMC ] DA 40/2.8 XS

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

it appears to be the " green stripe" DA 40/2.8 Limited and won't answer your question about red/green but gives good info about that lens and the XS

"The Bottom Line

DA 35mm
f/2.4 "Unbeatable Value" 7.5

DA 40mm
f/2.8 Limited "The Complete Package" 8.1

DA 40mm f/2.8 XS "Lean and Mean" 7.8 "

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - The Bottom Line | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I have a DA 40mm f/2.8 XS and like it a lot

here is the " in depth review " of the newer red stripe da 40mm f 2.8 limited

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-40mm-f28-limited/introduction.html?src=lrdb

" Tracing its lineage to the 1976 SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, the latest version has Ricoh's HD coatings, promising excellent contrast with minima lghosting or flare. Compared to the SMC Limited variant, the HD Limited added Pentax's Super Protect coating to repel water and dust, and rounded aperture blades for smoother out-of-focus rendering.
The HD variant of the lens is available in both black and silver (pictured). "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-40mm-f28-limited/introduct...#ixzz4ybJVkPik

" The biggest physical change with the HD version is its rounded aperture blades, and this has an effect on the out-of-focus areas when stopping down. In fact, the HDDA 40mm Limited has nearly ideal background blur and acceptable foreground blur at F4. Also starting at that aperture, specular highlights - points of bright light - render smoothly without any outlining. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-40mm-f28-limited/bokeh.html#ixzz4ybIzACmw

---------- Post added 11-16-17 at 07:15 ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This might help:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

HD has newer lens coatings, which should improve IQ a little, especially contrast and flare resistance.
Some SMC DA limited lenses have special starburst, which are no longer the same on the HD DA limited versions because of the different aperture blades (smoother bokeh, but less distinct starburst diffraction spikes), but this is mostly relevant to the wide angle like 15mm and 21mm.
If you are on a budget, get DA 40mm XS. If you want the top option, get the HD (red ring) version. Or look for used lenses at Keh.com, ebay, PF marketplace for the best deal on one of the Pentax 40mm primes and get that one

I have DA 40mm XS and its optics are good, but the 27mm filter thread and lack of lens hood can be annoying sometimes. It has, as far as we know, the same optics as the SMC DA, but with rounded blades.
according to the " in depth review " linked above, the XS has:

"The nine aperture blades on this model are curved to produce a more circular opening as the lens is stopped down. This is one of the few significant differences between it and the earlier DA 40/2.8 Limited, and one whose effects we’ll examine during our bokeh test. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/design...#ixzz4ybHdcBaZ

" Conclusions

Once again, we find that all three lenses perform well, and very similarly to one another. Really, the only substantive difference comes from the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS's rounded aperture blades, which give it slightly rounder bokeh highlights than the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited when the lens is stopped down. To be honest, even that difference requires a very, very discerning eye. The DA 35mm f/2.4 definitely produces the least rounded bokeh highlights—they're distinctly hexagonal from f/4 onward.
If any lens is a winner in this category it's the DA 40 XS, but in our opinion it's pretty much a dead heat between the two 40s.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/image-...#ixzz4ybIC3tVF

you can find 27mm filters

through the assistance of a forum member I was able to find a lens cap for the 40mm XS

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
This is what I use for my 40mm XS lens, works perfect.

amazon.com : CowboyStudio 27mm DV-s DV Screw Mount Lens Hood with Cap for Digital Video Camera and Camcorder, Sun Shade : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

And it gives an unusual look to the camera and lens, invites people to check what lens and camera it is and they get disappointed to find out it's a PENTAX!! . . .
this link shows the actual lens cap

lens cap or shade 40 mm xs, lens shade for 100 mm or - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-16-2017 at 06:35 AM.
11-16-2017, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
[ sorry about the length of this " quick reply " but I kept finding more " useful " ( I hope ) info ]

not sure if you know this or not but up under " Lenses " there is info on different Pentax and 3rd party lenses

here is a link to the " in depth review " from 2012 of the DA 35/2.4, DA 40/2.8 Limited, and DA 40/2.8 XS

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

it appears to be the " green stripe" DA 40/2.8 Limited and won't answer your question about red/green but gives good info about that lens and the XS

"The Bottom Line

DA 35mm
f/2.4 "Unbeatable Value" 7.5

DA 40mm
f/2.8 Limited "The Complete Package" 8.1

DA 40mm f/2.8 XS "Lean and Mean" 7.8 "

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - The Bottom Line | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I have a DA 40mm f/2.8 XS and like it a lot

here is the " in depth review " of the newer red stripe da 40mm f 2.8 limited

HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

" Tracing its lineage to the 1976 SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, the latest version has Ricoh's HD coatings, promising excellentcontrast with minimalghosting or flare. Compared to the SMC Limited variant, the HD Limited added Pentax's Super Protect coating to repel water and dust, and rounded aperture blades for smoother out-of-focus rendering.
The HD variant of the lens is available in both black and silver (pictured). "

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

" The biggest physical change with the HD version is its rounded aperture blades, and this has an effect on the out-of-focus areas when stopping down. In fact, the HDDA 40mmLimited has nearly ideal background blur and acceptable foreground blur at F4. Also starting at that aperture, specular highlights - points of bright light - render smoothly without any outlining. "

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review - Bokeh | PentaxForums.com Reviews

---------- Post added 11-16-17 at 07:15 ----------

[/COLOR]

according to the " in depth review " linked above, the XS has:

"The nine aperture blades on this model are curved to produce a more circular opening as the lens is stopped down. This is one of the few significant differences between it and the earlier DA 40/2.8 Limited, and one whose effects we’ll examine during our bokeh test. "

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Design and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

" Conclusions

Once again, we find that all three lenses perform well, and very similarly to one another. Really, the only substantive difference comes from the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS's rounded aperture blades, which give it slightly rounder bokeh highlights than the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited when the lens is stopped down. To be honest, even that difference requires a very, very discerning eye. The DA 35mm f/2.4 definitely produces the least rounded bokeh highlights—they're distinctly hexagonal from f/4 onward.
If any lens is a winner in this category it's the DA 40 XS, but in our opinion it's pretty much a dead heat between the two 40s.

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Image Quality: Bokeh | PentaxForums.com Reviews

you can find 27mm filters

through the assistance of a forum member I was able to find a lens cap for the 40mm XS

this link shows the actual lens cap

lens cap or shade 40 mm xs, lens shade for 100 mm or - PentaxForums.com
I did peruse the resources on this site and did see the comparison article you mentioned. ...yet was unsure of green vs red 40, which in many replies, I now know. "thank you". I did just order the red (HD) version. Looking forward to trying it on the K70 body, which I anticipate getting next month.

On any of the choices (35mm da, green or red 40 or XS 40) I am not too concerned regarding the slower speed of 2.8 vs for instance the 1.8 50 as I shoot mostly outdoors/light.
11-16-2017, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am considering an HD DA 40mm f/2.8 40 (red) and DA 40mm f/2.8 (green) lens, or even the 40mm XS lens for my 'normal' lens on a K70 body. To be purchased in the next few weeks.

I am confused on the difference between the HD DA 40mm f/2.8 40 (red) lens and DA 40mm f/2.8 (green) lens. The HD DA 40mm f/2.8 40 (red) lens is about $100 less cost than the 'green'.

Differences? Recommendations?
hmm, thread started at 05:37

OP got his questions answered and his decision was made by 07:34

boy the members of this forum can do good work
11-16-2017, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
...yes. Before beginning a weekday/workday...unless everyone is independently wealthy or retired ...not me :-(

Of course, self-centered of me to think that the rest of the world lives by my time zone. :-)

Last edited by rptdc; 11-16-2017 at 07:03 AM.
11-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
Well, the red one is much bigger so more lens for the buck.

More seriously, the only reason for going green are if looking for star bursts and that really only applies to the 15mm Limited - cost apart.