Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDM Status

I've been looking for a new lens for my K3-II that will provide for nice portraits, some wedding work, and in general a great quality lens that is second only to a fine prime. The 50-135 has been on my radar for years but I am an SDM survivor from years ago with my old DA 17-70 . My question is, does anyone know for a fact that the SDM systems on old lens designs but new stock are fixed? In other words, if I bought a new DA50-135 would it be as dependable as the DC lens on my 18-135? It seems to me that Pentax doesn't change much if anything on a lens until it goes through the update to new coatings and aperture designs but I could be wrong. The answer to this will help me decide if I should by a used and well priced 50-135 and expect problems vs buying a new one. I know that they can be converted to a screw drive but the lenses are too expensive, even used, to put up with that noise.

11-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The old SDM is still not as reliable as DC or new SDM. However, lenses made after 2013-ish should be more reliable than older ones.

Using your lens regularly will help reduce the chance of failure. I'd also recommend getting an extended warranty. A brand new lens might therefore be the way to go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The old SDM is still not as reliable as DC or new SDM. However, lenses made after 2013-ish should be more reliable than older ones.

Using your lens regularly will help reduce the chance of failure. I'd also recommend getting an extended warranty. A brand new lens might therefore be the way to go.
It sounds like there is a real possibility that the new lens will fail too. All warranties expire and then I'm faced with the cost of the lens, the warranty and the fix. The 50-135 seems to be selling for nearly half of the new price now. Better the devil I know than the one I don't. Thanks Adam, that is exactly what I needed to know.
11-17-2017, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Just posted part of this in response to a similar question.

There is risk in any gear. Just got back my repaired, screw drive Sigma 100-300/4. Had a mechanical FA 645 80-160 fixed last year. But no problems ever with my 9 year old 50-135 or a five year old 17-70 bought used. I use both SDM lenses often. The 50-135 pays the bills with headshots & portraits. If it died tomorrow, I've no complaints and would send it off for repair.

Perhaps therein lies the clue. Although I have no scientific evidence, I have a sneaking suspicion that regular use might be a factor. The anecdotal evidence is that I have all 7 old SDM lenses, and have not ever experienced failure. When they are not in use, they are permanently mounted on various bodies, regularly switched on, and usually given a chance to spin themselves with continuous focus hunting using LV. So far, no fails to date.

There are, I'm sure, those who would say this is tosh, I've just been lucky. Well, if this superstitious practice brings me luck, so be it. They just keep on going.

Last edited by ronniemac; 11-18-2017 at 10:08 AM.
11-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have 2 SDM lenses that I bought new: DA 17-70 bought about 2010, SDM died after leaving it on the shelf for 2 weeks. My other is DA* 200 that I bought new is 2013. So far no SDM issues at all with this lens, even if it sits more than a month without being used. It is an often repeated line on this forum with SDM lenses: Use them or lose them, the more you use them, the less likely there will be an SDM failure. As for quiet focus lenses I have DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM and have no autofocus issues with them after two years use, but they have different AF systems. I agree with Adam, if it is within your budget, go new and get extended warranty. I did that with the 55-300 PLM since it was a new tech when I bought it, but so far no issues with it. I have noticed used copies of both the DA 17-70 and DA* 50-135 selling for half of what they would be now. The 50-135 is definitely tempting and I have an interesting dilemma with the 17-70. KEH will sell me a used 17-70 in EX+ or even LN- condition for less than the price they quoted me to repair mine.

---------- Post added 11-17-17 at 08:06 PM ----------

The old SDM is still not as reliable as DC or new SDM.
Did you mean The old SDM is still not as reliable as DC or new PLM?

Last edited by jddwoods; 11-17-2017 at 06:04 PM.
11-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Did you mean The old SDM is still not as reliable as DC or new PLM?
All of the above. The "new SDM" uses ring motors and has yet to make its debut in a Pentax-designed lens (the D FA* 50mm F1.4 will be the first), but has existed in Pentax's Tamron clones such as the D FA 15-30mm, 24-70mm, and DA 18-270mm.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

usedphotopro (Roberts Camera) has a pair of 50-135's in mint condition for $600 usd, with 10% off this week for black Friday. These appear to be new old stock. In fact it looks like Roberts is dropping Pentax and is clearing out their inventory. Lots of good deals if anyone is looking for a DA limited.

11-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
KEH also provides a 6 month warranty
I was just looking at their website they are giving a limited time offer of a 12 month warranty on lens purchases. If there is a lens anyone is looking for there, now is a good time to get it. If only I had a little more discretionary $$$ in my pocket I would go for the DA* 50-135.

Last edited by jddwoods; 11-18-2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: my lousy typing skills
11-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
Lev
Veteran Member

All of the above. The "new SDM" uses ring motors and has yet to make its debut in a Pentax-designed lens (the D FA* 50mm F1.4 will be the first), but has existed in Pentax's Tamron clones such as the D FA 15-30mm, 24-70mm, and DA 18-270mm.

Adam, what about DFA* 70-200?
11-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Adam, what about DFA* 70-200?
That one is DC, which is the most reliable AF system we've seen so far.

Adam

11-21-2017, 04:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

If a scredrive converted 50-135mm is too noisy for you, go for an Sigma 50-150mm HSM. It's very fast and sharp.
11-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Adam, I believe the 18-270 is using a micromotor, not a ring type motor.